JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hello I recently picked up an SS mini 196 series, I was under the impression the 196 series are ranch rifles but mine is not, is that normal or is it a defect or? Any info would be great.

Thanks

My 196 series is a Ranch Rifle version. It's been heavily modified but its a RR. SHould say as much on the top rear of the receiver. RIght behind the flip up rear sight.

Here is some pictures of it, the one with the black stock is the one I am talking about, the wood stock one is a 188 series ranch and is clearly marked as such

2.JPG

4.JPG

Nope, not a RR... from what I know (which going by my wife isn't a lot)

Did you buy it new? I saw what was tagged as a RR in a display case and new. I didn't look to closely at it but could easily tell it had the Military sites on it and thought that was odd. Maybe some standards have changed but from what your pictures say, the black one is not a RR.

Okay. Humm? Mine is a 197 with RR stamped on it too. And at least what I know the RR can't mount the military sites or have a permanent flash suppressor mounted on it. Keeping it from falling under the Assault Weapons category during the Clinton years. Man! I would love to put military sites on mine. Now I'm puzzled too.

Last Edited:
If you pursue it that far, it would be cool to hear what Ruger has to say.

And yeah, I'm kind of surprised too. The mini 14 is a good choice in my opinion. Tons of fun, lots of classic features and modern amo all wrapped up into one. I couldn't afford the M1A, M1 Garand, M1 carbine or any AR15's all at the same time. Plus I only have one trigger finger. So I opted for the Mini 14. All of my favorites wrapped into one. It's my plinker. And I like wood stocks.

I think somebody tagged it as a woman's gun. So all the dudes wouldn't get caught dead carrying one. :s0002:

It's a blast to shoot as a recreation and means business if needed. Now that I got it I'm glad I got it. I really had a tug o war going on inside between it or an AR.

Last Edited:
Well I have a few AR's and hands down even the lower end AR's will out perform my mini's. With that being said, i called Ruger and they said that the Ser# is a Ranch model, that was probably special ordered by LEO then ended up selling to civilian.

Scratch that, it wasn't ruger he talked too, it could be the case but I'm going to call the warranty department tomorrow and see if I can get a new ranch rifle, let's see what they say

Really? Last time on the range a guy wanted to sell me some ammo because it was having trouble in his AR and he was told to find somebody with a Mini because it will gobble up anything. Specifically the steel casings.

****edit****

After stepping out for a smoke. Yes I am sure the AR's would do much better in performance at accuracy and distance than the mini. This is just my plinker and recreational rile. I got it for fun only. If I were to want something that would perform I would no doubt go M1A.

I also got it for the challenge of just plain shooting with a peep site. I did change that to a Williams peep site and have it sited at 100 yards. Sometimes I out shoot somebody with a scoped rifle. I like that. My next challenge is out shoot a scope at 200. I think that will take a while. ;)

And coctailer, thanks for the links those sites are awesome.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top