JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Head Count...

• Total voters
The gate being closed for the last 2 years is a little disturbing too. Since there are no workers at the quarry and no workers at the private land, why do they keep the gate closed to motorized public access? I often hear of government agencies closing access roads on public land for no solid reasons and I wonder if they kept this closed 'as if they forgot to reopen after June of 2016'.

Just changed my vote from 'By golly, I might just make this one!' to 'Count me IN!'.

I have leather work gloves and a steward's heart, but unfortunately don't have any cleanup tools at the moment...anyone ever bring extra?

Looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks.

The gate being closed for the last 2 years is a little disturbing too. Since there are no workers at the quarry and no workers at the private land, why do they keep the gate closed to motorized public access? I often hear of government agencies closing access roads on public land for no solid reasons and I wonder if they kept this closed 'as if they forgot to reopen after June of 2016'.

Years ago, before the fish huggers got hatchery fish out of the Sandy, we could drive there and fish the Salmon. What you're saying now is that gate is always closed? And it's like a 100-200 yard walk to where people shoot?

It's the pits (pun) if the public agency in question keeps the public locked out of public land! Not all of us are able to walk a long way comfortably.

There is a place I go shooting near the Molalla river and it only seems to be open during hunting season. After that I have to go further down the road to a nice little hidey hole I found that nobody seems to know about as it seems to be always clean. Nice place too, solid backstop and about 50 or so yards to shoot in.

Of the 5-6 spots I found, only one was an illegal & unsafe place (the pic with all the soda cans, plastic jugs & targets on trees). All the other spots looked like good and safe places to shoot. Even those spots along the river are being used properly by shooting into the hill and not along or across the river or roadway.

All in all, it's a pretty nice place to shoot because you can do it legally and be safe about it.

They must have an easement with BLM to allow for public access to the river.

If the BLM land is public domain [rather than acquired], then they can grant a right-of-way to the private landowner, if there is no other means of accessing his/her property. No easement, as they are permanent and run with the land, which could potentially impair future management decisions. In any event, the prevailing land use plan dictates most of these types of decisions.

It appears Sand & Gravel doesn't care about the trespassing and shooting. If they did, they would have posted signs that say so.

BLM told me that USFS accesses that stretch of river for their fish biology work. People go rafting down the river right there, hiking along the river and they have found targets on the trees along the riverside. They say lead contaminants have been found in the soil too close to the river. BLM gets daily complaints about the noise. I can see why when you drive around the local community and see how close the houses and resorts are.

They also told me this area of Hwy 26 is designated as a National Scenic Area and shooting was closed a few years back. They just haven't enforced it yet and have allowed it to continue at Millers Quarry. And to top it all off, there is an ongoing lawsuit from a native American group protesting the expansion of Hwy 26 who are claiming this area as mitigation for lost cultural artifacts. Sounds like it will be shut down sometime in the near future.

I don't think this place has any hope of saving it for future shooting recreation. Too many problems associated with the activity. Time to shoot elsewhere where there are fewer conflicts. BLM is more in favor of the Hillockburn/NF 45 area. He even indicated an interest in improving some lanes out there. Worth a shot! I plan to pursue that idea with them.

So, we'll go clean it up and show the community we can be good Sports about it. See y'all next Saturday!

It appears Sand & Gravel doesn't care about the trespassing and shooting. If they did, they would have posted signs that say so.

BLM told me that USFS accesses that stretch of river for their fish biology work. People go rafting down the river right there, hiking along the river and they have found targets on the trees along the riverside. They say lead contaminants have been found in the soil too close to the river. BLM gets daily complaints about the noise. I can see why when you drive around the local community and see how close the houses and resorts are.

They also told me this area of Hwy 26 is designated as a National Scenic Area and shooting was closed a few years back. They just haven't enforced it yet and have allowed it to continue at Millers Quarry. And to top it all off, there is an ongoing lawsuit from a native American group protesting the expansion of Hwy 26 who are claiming this area as mitigation for lost cultural artifacts. Sounds like it will be shut down sometime in the near future.

I don't think this place has any hope of saving it for future shooting recreation. Too many problems associated with the activity. Time to shoot elsewhere where there are fewer conflicts. BLM is more in favor of the Hillockburn/NF 45 area. He even indicated an interest in improving some lanes out there. Worth a shot! I plan to pursue that idea with them.

So, we'll go clean it up and show the community we can be good Sports about it. See y'all next Saturday!

Thanks for the info @Cogs ! Shut one down, but invest in another better spot sounds like a win for all parties!

It is fun to see new areas, most have been extremely beautiful and when we have time will go back and visit again. The people we have met on the clean ups have been pretty darn awesome also.

Time to firm up those plans for Saturday! Make em for coming to the cleanup!

We're cleaning up a target shooting site in Welches OR and you are invited to join us for a unique volunteer opportunity. Come meet the BLM, Clackamas County Dump Stoppers, Clackamas County Sheriff 's Dept, local fire dept and a great group of concerned volunteers.

This Saturday, June 23. We meet at 9 AM on Miller Rd in Welches. Details and map link in the original post #1.

See you there!

You may not have been responsible for this mess, but you can be the one responsible for cleaning it up. Trash that is dumped, shot up and left to rot in the woods is not acceptable and we, who value the pristine beauty of our great outdoors and respect the privilege of recreational shooting, are doing something about it. We could use a few helping hands.

Saturday, June 23rd, 9 AM at Miller's Quarry in Welches, Oregon.

We will not put up with illegal dumping or activity on public, or private lands.

Event Information in the original post #1 and on our website event page: Welches Miller Quarry Cleanup

Miller Quarry Before 27.jpg

Miller Quarry Before 23.jpg

Miller Quarry Before 25.jpg

Miller Quarry Before 24.jpg

Miller Quarry Before 26.jpg

Miller Quarry Before 16.jpg

Miller Quarry Before 15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show