JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I gladly shop places that offer Military Discounts. I dont really qualify for most of them because I did one tour in the Army and got out and most places require active duty or reserve capacity or at least require you be a retiree. They generally require some sort of card. Lowes and Home Depot both require a card of sorts and people like me dont have no stinkin' cards but they dont know that and Ive used my DD214 Ive got scanned on my phone before and they take it ( because theyre doing it wrong ) . Same with Fred Meyers. They have a discount I dont qualify for but Ive used it several times to buy guns and bigger ticket items. Since my wife works there thats up to 30% off sometimes. I'm such a stinker. Anyone else use military discounts?

I always ask. You just never know.
Take that DD-214 (if its honorable) to the DMV (Oregon anyway) and get vet status on your drivers license. Then you always have proof with you.

I often thought about the military discount, and a "what if" option to donate that amount.
But it's too much red tape without alternatives.

Home Depot usually does not honor "Veteran" on a drivers license as proof of Veteran status. So I always ask for a manager. They also do not understand Veteran on a drivers license. They get tired of arguing with me, and finally give the the discount just to get rid of me.

I recently bought a new car. The manufacturer had a Veterans discount program. I showed them my drivers license with "Veteran" on it. They questioned it, but said they'd try to make it work. Two months later, I was contacted by Tonkin. Seems my drivers license was not sufficient proof, so I had to mail them a DD214.

So far, the Veteran inscription on an Oregon drivers license has not been very honored.

WAYNO.

I usually get into a few minute discussion at home depot and then figure out where the copy of my DD214 is before they agree to give it to me. I never have the desire to tell that that is not their actual policy and that they require veterans be retirees or active duty. As my wife who also works retail likes to point out...They dont care.

That's weird, I knew Home Depot was a bit wanked compared to Lowe's on veteran discounts, but I shop at Lowe's A LOT. I'm an Army vet, I'm not active duty, not retired, not disabled, nor on a VA status.... I get a 10% discount (once in excess of $500!) every time I go to a Lowe's store at any location no matter the day of the week.

I used to carry a photocopy of my DD214, but got the "Veteran" designation on my ODL last time I renewed and that has always worked since then, too.

I usually don't like to ask, but then I found out that the Home Depot Pro card 5% discount is only if you ask for it. Thought it was pretty crappy way to treat their customers since they advertise the discount. Since then, I always ask for a veterans discount as well. Some clerks don't honor the drivers license imprint so I just drop it, but always ask the next time. Sometimes they give it, sometimes they don't.

I always ask if they have a Veterans Discount and I have "Veteran" on my ODL, a miniaturized DD214 in my wallet, Oregon "Veteran" license plates on my car and my dog tags hanging from my rear view mirror! They friggin' better believe me!

We offer a veterans/military discount at my store. I rarely ask if anyone if they are military though. I've surprised many by springing a discount at the register because either saw their ID in their wallet or saw them pull in. If anyone asks if we offer a discount, yes, of course, and then I don't even ask for proof.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top