JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dang! Just popped back inside & saw this on the news...

Turkish military is no joke!

I went to Istanbul overland from Bulgaria a goodly decade ago as part of a monthlong bicycle trip. Every little town had an active military camp, installation or compound. Kinda freaky, but good to know they were lawly & orderly (at the time).

...as opposed to the 2 hilarious traffic police I happened upon who were trying there best to sell me black market cartons of cigarettes. Wrong brand though... I have pictures of those guys somewhere. Freakin hilarious.

Best wishes to a safe & orderly transition, if that's where they are headed.

-Hopefully bloodless!-

I'm also hoping that they can retain/remain/regain democracy. One of the largest, if not the largest democratic Islamist nation...

...ahh the more I watch the news, the Turkish military is on the side of free democracy. Whereas there current administration is (was) leaning towards sharia.

Nice! Best of luck to them in bringing back there freedom!

So much for Turkey becoming a member of the EU. Apparently there's more than one way to "Brexit" if you're not quite in yet. Turexit?

Actually, the current civilian government has turned Turkey into a most autocratic Islamic state. It has totally gone against the nation's long tradition of having a secular government. Erdogan has been in power for 10 years now, and much of the population is now upset and angry with him. He has totally cracked down on any dissent, including controlling the press.

Believe me when I say that the Turkish military are the good guys here. They are acting much like the Egyptian Military was forced to move against the Muslim Brotherhood, when it took control of Egypt's government, and began to turn it into an ultraconservative Islamic state.

Believe it or not, there are still a lot of people in the Middle East who do not want to live under Sharia law, and would prefer to have a secular government instead, even if it means the military taking control.

...ahh the more I watch the news, the Turkish military is on the side of free democracy. Whereas there current administration is (was) leaning towards sharia.

Nice! Best of luck to them in bringing back there freedom!

Erdogan has also been a prime supporter of the rebels in the Syrian Civil War, and has thus been key to keeping that civil war going on. There is much evidence that he actually supports all of the Sunni rebels, INCLUDING ISIS!

Erdogan is clearly no friend to the USA.

Actually, the current civilian government has turned Turkey into a most autocratic Islamic state. It has totally gone against the nation's long tradition of having a secular government. Erdogan has been in power for 10 years now, and much of the population is now upset and angry with him. He has totally cracked down on any dissent, including controlling the press.

Believe me when I say that the Turkish military are the good guys here. They are acting much like the Egyptian Military was forced to move against the Muslim Brotherhood, when it took control of Egypt's government, and began to turn it into an ultraconservative Islamic state.

Believe it or not, there are still a lot of people in the Middle East who do not want to live under Sharia law, and would prefer to have a secular government instead, even if it means the military taking control.
Well, here's hoping your assessment is right. I honestly don't know enough about the situation there to make an informed decision at this point.
Do you know if the animosity towards the Kurds extends to the military? Or is that a product of Erdogan's alignment with a particular sectarian Muslim philosophy?

We need the Kurds in the fight against ISIS, and I'd hate to see that evaporate over having to pick between them and anti-Erdogan forces.

I wonder if we are financing this coup. :(

Little chance. Obama and Clinton both support the Syrian Sunni rebels, and the two nations that are supporting them: Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

Since Erdogan was a major enemy of Syria and their supporters of Iran and Russia, I would look to Russian and/or Iranian intelligence perhaps being involved.

You need to realize that the civil war in Syria is completely religious in nature. On one side you have the rebels ( who are all Sunni Muslims ), backed by the Sunni Muslim nations of Turkey and Saudi Arabia. On the other side, you have the Syrian government, which is backed by the fellow Shia Muslim controlled nations of Iran and Iraq, with a lot of additional backing from Russia, which is a Syrian ally.

Remember when Turkey shot down that Russian fighter plane and killed its pilot? I would bet anything that Putin vowed to get revenge when that happened. And remember, Putin used to run the KGB, before he became President.

Never happen, leaders who don't march to the Oval offices music either suddenly retires or ends up court marshaled...

oh I know. But it is a bit inspiring that every 20 years or so Turkey's government becomes too religious and the military steps in and says get the F out and installs a new secular government.

Too bad there isnt a mechanism here to say Washington is now a corrupt plutocracy, throw them all out and start over with some new ones. instead we have to wait until the country collapses

Last Edited:
Little chance. Obama and Clinton both support the Syrian Sunni rebels, and the two nations that are supporting them: Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

Since Erdogan was a major enemy of Syria and their supporters of Iran and Russia, I would look to Russian and/or Iranian intelligence perhaps being involved.

You need to realize that the civil war in Syria is completely religious in nature. On one side you have the rebels ( who are all Sunni Muslims ), backed by the Sunni Muslim nations of Turkey and Saudi Arabia. On the other side, you have the Syrian government, which is backed by the fellow Shia Muslim controlled nations of Iran and Iraq, with a lot of additional backing from Russia, which is a Syrian ally.

Remember when Turkey shot down that Russian fighter plane and killed its pilot? I would bet anything that Putin vowed to get revenge when that happened. And remember, Putin used to run the KGB, before he became President.

Means nothing in Turkey.
Completely different arena.
Each country is different.
We support the taliban here but not there.
What day is it?
Yeah:cool:

...I would bet anything that Putin vowed to get revenge when that happened. And remember, Putin used to run the KGB, before he became President.

Kinda nitpicky point but Putin never ran the KGB, at the apex of his KGB career he was a lieutenant colonel doing counterintelligence in East Germany which is quite far from running the entire KGB.

Maybe, but no worse than Erdogan. It's probably more likely Erdogan himself is behind the failed coup as pretext for gaining even more complete control of the country.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top