JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
U.S. Military Surplus Chemical Suit, New - 666847, Gas Masks & Chemical Suits at Sportsman's Guide

Originally designed to protect military personnel against NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) elements. These have never been out of the bag, with a fresh activated charcoal lining you'll find to be a potent scent-fighter on your next hunting trip. 2-piece design is easy to get on and off, and fitted to be snug and easy-moving. Made to top quality U.S. military specs! Charcoal lined acrylic nylon shell Full-zip front with storm flap Cargo Pants with suspenders Front pockets on Jacket, large cargo pockets on Pants Cinch cuffs on ankles and wrists Padded knees Machine wash cold (no detergent), hang dry

I have no experience with these, but at the price, seems like it might be good to have around just in case?

Are these good for NBC when combined with filter or gas masks/etc.??

I understand that bio and chem attacks evolve and that can make some defense measures ineffective, but are these totally outdated? Currently all I have is a Tyvek coverall with hoodie, filter masks, old surplus gas mask given to me, a face safety shield and just delivered, a nomex balaclava (thought that would be good for wildfires).

Feedback?

TIA

Short answer, no idea, but our opinion follows:

We're not interested in preparing for N/C, biological just from the sense of isolation.

So from that perspective for B: Tyvek coveralls, booties, N95 type mask & gloves "should" suffice if we had a need to venture out, risking interaction with human vectors. A clean down area could be setup reasonably easily, of course would depend on the nature of the suspected biologic. Antiseptics available to clean as need be. Lysol, bleach, simple surface cleaners, Hepa area filters when electricity is available (either grid or gen now, offgrid once we get property...long term plan).

Way too complex as far as C goes, for us anyways. How would we know when it were released and how long it remained present. How to decon.

As far as N goes, just do not want to live in a post N hollocost world (since we do not have a fallout shelter, survival vs not is out of our hands).

Now, all that said, the same suit/systems can & do have crossover for other uses. Wildfire smoke, industrial chemical or just simple neighborhood fire smoke, volcanic ash, dust storms particularly during drought.

U.S. Military Surplus Chemical Suit, New - 666847, Gas Masks & Chemical Suits at Sportsman's Guide

I have no experience with these, but at the price, seems like it might be good to have around just in case?

Are these good for NBC when combined with filter or gas masks/etc.??

I understand that bio and chem attacks evolve and that can make some defense measures ineffective, but are these totally outdated? Currently all I have is a Tyvek coverall with hoodie, filter masks, old surplus gas mask given to me, a face safety shield and just delivered, a nomex balaclava (thought that would be good for wildfires).

Feedback?

TIA

At that price, I would think it a good idea to keep a set handy if you consider the threat warrants it. They will protect your body in a NBC environment.

Have you worn a Tyvek coverall? It really takes two to properly put on the Tyvek coverall. Keep that in mind. But the Tyvek is lighter, cheaper, and disposable. Works as a raincoat too.

The NBC suit is more durable (tear resistant) and designed to be put on by the individual. It's also bulkier. I've been told it's hotter but I thought both were hot and sweaty. I saw a lot of troops that would wear their NBC suit during field exercises to stay warm. I can also remember wearing the full NBC suit and mask during summer. In a half hour I was sweating profusely and was spent completely in 2 hours. I do know a couple guys that go hunting in them. Their belief is that the charcoal lining hides their scent and the suits are warm.

Don't forget protective gloves and booties.

It looks like the suits I wore in the 80s and 90s. How effective? Who knows. Certainly the original issue suits could provide some protection against military NBC weapons. These are not very expensive but compare them to a Level B Hazmat suit like a hooded Tychem coverall.

There may be other suits that may be better or more effective depending on your situation. The old MOPP gear suits I wore had to be protected from the rain in Germany but they were terribly hot if you wore rain gear over the suit. Lost all their ability to "breathe" once you closed them in.

Look at where you're at and how to set up a transition area (decon corridor) from the Hot zone to the Cold (clean) zone. That's critically important. Keep the clean area clean.

Biological: the suit doesn't make much sense. You're better off with a hooded Tychem (sealed tyvek) suit you can wash down and decon than a suit that absorbs liquid. Bleach solution and fresh water rinse is what you'd need.

Chemical: if it's the same as the old issued suits it'll work but even then you don't see Fire Department Hazmat Techs running around in them do you? They wear a Tychem or similar suit and decon it but with soap and water. The MOPP suits will absord (or adsorb) chemical vapor or but then the suit is containing that contaminant forever. You can't clean it.

Radiolocal: it'll keep particles off but again it'll absorb them. Still need to wash off the contaminants. Tychem type suit is better. Won't stop waves or high energy particles.

Suit is missing the rubberized hood which was attached to the gas mask in the military MOPP gear.

Gloves, good rubber boots, respirator/PAPR etc with appropriate filter are other items you need to include. That and that ever underestimated Decon corridor!

It looks like the suits I wore in the 80s and 90s. How effective? Who knows. Certainly the original issue suits could provide some protection against military NBC weapons. These are not very expensive but compare them to a Level B Hazmat suit like a hooded Tychem coverall.

There may be other suits that may be better or more effective depending on your situation. The old MOPP gear suits I wore had to be protected from the rain in Germany but they were terribly hot if you wore rain gear over the suit. Lost all their ability to "breathe" once you closed them in.

Look at where you're at and how to set up a transition area (decon corridor) from the Hot zone to the Cold (clean) zone. That's critically important. Keep the clean area clean.

Biological: the suit doesn't make much sense. You're better off with a hooded Tychem (sealed tyvek) suit you can wash down and decon than a suit that absorbs liquid. Bleach solution and fresh water rinse is what you'd need.

Chemical: if it's the same as the old issued suits it'll work but even then you don't see Fire Department Hazmat Techs running around in them do you? They wear a Tychem or similar suit and decon it but with soap and water. The MOPP suits will absord (or adsorb) chemical vapor or but then the suit is containing that contaminant forever. You can't clean it.

Radiolocal: it'll keep particles off but again it'll absorb them. Still need to wash off the contaminants. Tychem type suit is better. Won't stop waves or high energy particles.

Suit is missing the rubberized hood which was attached to the gas mask in the military MOPP gear.

Gloves, good rubber boots, respirator/PAPR etc with appropriate filter are other items you need to include. That and that ever underestimated Decon corridor!

Good points. But I just want to add that a $17 NBC suit is better than nothing. It has it's downsides but it still beats a t-shirt. I can also put on a NBC suit faster by myself than I can a Tyvek suit. "By myself" being the key words. But again, I'm just looking at something is better than nothing. Your points are all spot on and the OP should take them in consideration and keep them in mind.

If its not in the original wrapping, it's of no use to you. An NBC suit has a limited lifespan for its intended purpose as anything other than a training aid once its been removed from its packaging.
Other posters are right; that's the old style suit from the 80s and 90s.

I vote tyvek as well, my knowledge of NBC, at least what the threat used to be is that go more modern material and speed in getting into it. Downside, for civilians the warning of an attack might not even happen...NBC is our worst nightmare and each has it's own features of nastiness and deadly outcomes.:(

Brutus Out

You ever talk to anyone in the know at Intel? Apparently they have stuff there that would wipe out everyone for miles. I don't remember how far but it was a ways. Can't protect against everything, but a suit can't hurt.

You ever talk to anyone in the know at Intel? Apparently they have stuff there that would wipe out everyone for miles. I don't remember how far but it was a ways. Can't protect against everything, but a suit can't hurt.

Yeah, I knew, some of the possibilities you could get thrown at you, and many agents were the stuff of nightmares, colorless, odorless and just the tiniest particle....and adios muchachos!
And that's just the Chemical stuff.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top