JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Although not quite decided on my previous question lets move to the next which do you prefer MIL adjustments or MOA ? I've always had MOA adjustments before, But see a lot of mil reticles and matching adjustments now. What would you choose?

either will work fine for shooting targets, even at distance. just make sure you get a MIL/MIL reticle/dial setup or a MOA/MOA dial setup. this will make it pretty easy to figure out what adjustments you need to make for a follow-up shot or after a sighter.

I prefer MOA/MOA since it easier for me to do math with. Leupold has a great MOA reticle with the TMOA and TMOA-Plus reticles.

Do you speak in yards or meters? Do you shoot with anyone else, so they use MOA or MILS? MOA is based on feet and yards and MIL's is based in centimeters and meters. If you have a buddy you shoot with it's nice to "speak the same language." Regardless of what you choose, make sure the adjustments match the reticule and stick with what you choose. There isn't anything drastically better about one system versus the other.

There is no "math", and doesn't matter if you speak meters or yards; if you are talking matching reticle/turrets.

When I'm out shooting targets with any of my FFP, mil/mil scopes. Measure with your reticle, not your mind. If I'm off the mark by a mil, I don't need to know how many inches that is. I just need to know I'm off by 1 mil, and dial the correction.

When using FFP, matching turrets/reticles; the distance in the reticle and corresponding turret adjustment is ALWAYS the same. Doesn't mater what magnification, doesn't matter the distance.

When I'm out shooting targets with any of my FFP, mil/mil scopes. Measure with your reticle, not your mind. If I'm off the mark by a mil, I don't need to know how many inches that is. I just need to know I'm off by 1 mil, and dial the correction.

Which is also true with a FFP MOA/MOA scope. Well, except that if you are off my 1 moa, you dial/hold 1 moa.

My brain seems to work better in MOA. Newest toy is a Vortex PST MOA/MOA FFP 4-16. Liking
it better than my MIL scopes so far.

Which is also true with a FFP MOA/MOA scope. Well, except that if you are off my 1 moa, you dial/hold 1 moa.

Correct. My point was as long as you have matchings reticle/turrets, there is no math or certain way to have to think. Simply dial according to how far off the mark you are.

Do you speak in yards or meters? Do you shoot with anyone else, so they use MOA or MILS? MOA is based on feet and yards and MIL's is based in centimeters and meters. If you have a buddy you shoot with it's nice to "speak the same language." Regardless of what you choose, make sure the adjustments match the reticule and stick with what you choose. There isn't anything drastically better about one system versus the other.
A milliradiun has nothing to to with metric or imperial measurements. 1 MIL is basically 1/1000 of the distance. I.E. 1 mil at 100 yards is 3.6" as 100 yards = 3600" and 1 yard at 1000 yards when using imperial. Or 10 centimeters at 100 meters as 100 meters = 10,000 centimeters. and 1 meter at 1000 meters if using metric. It doesn't matter which unit of measurement you use on the range, but using metric makes it easier for some.
I would definatly use a mil/mil scope. It is far easier to use a mil based scope on all ranges weather Measured in yards or meters. Just divide by 1000. Doing moa adjustments on a distance measured in meters is harder to do. Also, if you ever think you might need to use the mils for ranging. Much more dificult in the field to do it with Moa.

Last Edited:
I was all MOA for years. I'm right now in the process (a very expensive process) of swapping all scopes out to Milrad based. I did it for just one reason, most everyone I shoot with runs mils. It's much easier to discuss wind holds and such with your fellow shooters if you're all using the same unit of measure.

The only drawback I've found to mils is the coarseness of the adjustments compared to MOA scopes. At my zero distance of 100 yards, 1 click on a Milrad scope is 0.36". One click on an MOA scope is 0.25". I shoot mostly precision rifle type comps, so the guns are pretty accurate. When zeroing with a mil scope it always seems like I want to set zero between clicks. It's a trivial issue with no real world relevance, but my OCD kicks in sometimes and it gnaws at me.

Beyond that non-issue, I find the system just as easy to use as MOA.

I was all MOA for years. I'm right now in the process (a very expensive process) of swapping all scopes out to Milrad based. I did it for just one reason, most everyone I shoot with runs mils. It's much easier to discuss wind holds and such with your fellow shooters if you're all using the same unit of measure.

The only drawback I've found to mils is the coarseness of the adjustments compared to MOA scopes. At my zero distance of 100 yards, 1 click on a Milrad scope is 0.36". One click on an MOA scope is 0.25". I shoot mostly precision rifle type comps, so the guns are pretty accurate. When zeroing with a mil scope it always seems like I want to set zero between clicks. It's a trivial issue with no real world relevance, but my OCD kicks in sometimes and it gnaws at me.

Beyond that non-issue, I find the system just as easy to use as MOA.
I had the same mental issue when I switched over" then I realized that for me at least 11 hundredths of an inch is not something I should worry about at close ranges and at distance, thinking in mills instead of clicks is much faster.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top