JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just posted this to write that I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO eff'n tired of the whole "SHTF" crap. Good grief, stop with the SHTF acronym already. You should know that if the Chicoms invade, an asteroid strikes, an EMP or solar flair fries all microprocessors, or Yellowstone erupts, we are all fooked, some sooner than others. Hit the road? Roads are crammed with accidents and shootouts. Head for the woods? Folks already there will take you off sooner or later. Eastern Washington or Oregon? They don't want us. Stay home? Minimal exposure but same end result. Crap on me if you will, but you know I'm right. There now, I feel better. Back to reading about the Somme offensive of 1915.....:(

I echo your realistic views. If you can be honest with yourself about your own situation/abilities, you probably won't fall apart emotionally or mentally when it counts.
Jacked up gym rat ,multicam wearing ,lifted diesel pickup driving ,John Wick wannabes will be crying in their plate carrier while some middle aged mom who raised a couple problem kids is "surviving " whatever calamity is on the plate.
Tough can't be bought or even properly trained, it must be lived.

Do I get to be in your club?

Mental prep is best prep.

And the Somme 1915? Just looked it up; more to know about 14-15! Weak in that, didn't the Great War start with trenches and gas and tanks and planes? :D

Netflix and chill.
:s0104:

Maybe remind people that when the bomb drops, go towards the light. End it before radiation sickness sets in. Eh?

Just posted this to write that I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO eff'n tired of the whole "SHTF" crap. Good grief, stop with the SHTF acronym already. You should know that if the Chicoms invade, an asteroid strikes, an EMP or solar flair fries all microprocessors, or Yellowstone erupts, we are all fooked, some sooner than others. Hit the road? Roads are crammed with accidents and shootouts. Head for the woods? Folks already there will take you off sooner or later. Eastern Washington or Oregon? They don't want us. Stay home? Minimal exposure but same end result. Crap on me if you will, but you know I'm right. There now, I feel better. Back to reading about the Somme offensive of 1915.....:(

TLDR, if things get as bad as they could, we're all either dead anyway, or the level of improvisation needed would make prepping a non-starter.

I agree with this sentiment up to a point in that in an actual full-on civil war or other vast scale event, there are a million ways to die and few ways to live. The fact that there are so many ways for society to fail means that some, perhaps most, "prepping" may be akin to buying lottery tickets.

Examples: you prepped for a civil war and the reality turns out to be a killer virus. Or, maybe you prepped for bio/war/famine but the ice-caps melt and waterworld happens (dang, shoulda bought a boat).

that said, i feel that mild to moderate preparedness does have a place.

My problem with the whole SHTF idea, is it seems to ignore that the fan will be already fried by an EMP and/or without any electricity to run it.

SBOTIEA ( Shlt Bouncing Off The Inoperative Electrical Appliance ) :s0153:

Off-the-shelf prepper supplies are handy and convenient, but the folks who have the best chance of riding out various calamities are the ones who already know how to live the way our forefathers did, before electricity and indoor plumbing were common.

There's no way on God's Green Earth to prep for every eventuality, but one thing's for sure - we're all going to need each other, and depend on each other, a lot more than we do now.

As far as I'm concerned, you can be as grumpy as you want - just make yourself useful.

Regarding 'The Bomb', Momma Jones used to say "I hope I go in the first blast."

No worries man. For myself, I'd be grumpier at those who do nothing to prep and know nothing about anything expecting that the Guvment (or worse, you, Grumpy Mike) somehow will come and magically take care of all their critical needs during a time of extreme crisis.

in the early 80s a buddy left me with his collection of a well known "survivalist newsletter" that was actually 4 or 5 mimeographed pages stapled together. Over the years it upgraded but remained a basic lower-tech production. I was able to read a number of issues during lunch, and worked thru the stack in a few weeks.
It covered *new*stuff* I'd never seen before, all the way from bush suturing to new handguns to the whole list of possibles/necessaries/desirables. His style of writing changed toward the end of the stack, and finally in the last few issues, his assessment of 'needed stuff' had come back to the very basics. His argument was those very supplies tied you down, required considerable effort to guard/move/hide/etc.

I was shocked to read his final advice was whatever the gentle reader might settle on gathering, any amount over about what fit in a case of shot gun shells would be target for others. Then I learned he was in a wheel chair the last couple years, due to some unforseen event in his live, and he died relatively young. Sorry to not have his name at hand, but I felt like some of the discussion above reinforces the notion, that there really ARE way too many possible catastrophes to keep in your BOB ect.
And Mankind as a species, has survived to do adaptability and being a generalist in so many ways.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top