JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Awesome response!!! Although I did not go to college (until late I was 50 for retraining) I too have had your same enthusiasm working in the skilled trades, I started out the same way as an apprentice, worked my way up to be a journeyman in my field. The only difference was that I didn't get the chance to move up because I injured my back and my company threw me under the bus. Threw away 25+ years of experience that could have served them handsomely in the engineering department.
What I am seeing in these new generationsite of people is that technology has taken over every aspect of their life and they cannot be bothered with havi g a job working in a ditch with a shovel in their hand or changing tires or....... instead their aspiratios are sitting in an office with a handheld device glued to their hands 24/7. I hate to say it but the pussification in America has possibly ruined the last two generations and no good options are in sight for any on the horizon...

For those that are tied to technology, there are plenty of opportunities to use tech while working with the tools. In my line of work, most workers carry a laptop and/or iPad or iPhone as part of the necessity of the job. We've been working for years to go paperless, so prints, layouts, details, photos, etc. are all being done electronically. One of the bigger drawbacks in our industry right now are getting folks that don't know tech, that don't know how to use computers or smart phones. Yes, folks need to sweat and work hard, but they can combine the two and enjoy working with tech as well. I hope more folks get that message.

I like how he turned the conversation back on the disappointed snowflake:

We can make a case as to why we believe what we believe, or we can simply announce our disappointment to the world, as though our feelings alone are enough to justify our beliefs.

In other words, snowflake, STFU.

We need to get back to the idea that there in nothing wrong with working in the service or vocational fields. College is indeed worthwhile , but its just not the only or best option out there for everyone.

Some years ago we spent several days with one of my wife's Swiss cousins, Max Baumgartner. He was a High School teacher, and his explanation of their school system and a visit to his school was really eye-opening. Everyone gets the same basic education until they're 16. Then they go onto either a university or trade/education track.

The amazing thing is the trade education track is every bit as extensive and expensive as the university tract. His son Sammi was then in the middle of an education/apprenticeship in the electrical trades. He would alternate between several months of classroom teaching and factory apprenticeships with carefully selected craftsmen.

When he finished the program and got some sort of professional certification he had worked in Ireland, the Czech Republic [twice] and Austria; and was competent building computer motherboards, repairing switching at a hydro-electric dam, wiring a commercial office building, and constructing an electrical sub-station [to include site excavation, pouring slabs, operating construction vehicles, etc.]. Max said the emphasis is on creating a workforce with the head knowledge and hand skills to adapt throughout life to changing economic demands.

I did 3 years of college, all said and done, after high school, never finished a degree. I eventually decided to bag it and head into an apprenticeship program instead, mainly because I knew I could make good money doing it. I have to say, it was one of the best decisions of my life. Sure the program at times sucked, but those 5 years went by quickly, and I was making good money in the process. I learned a lot of different skills that not only translated to my job, but added to my skill set outside of work, such as doing repairs around the house.

There is something about going to work and coming home hot and sweaty, or freezing cold, dirty, muddy, smelly, sore and tired that gives a sense of satisfaction that few things do. There were days I hated to go to work, but I still loved my job. I got to see and do things that many people will never do - I've stood on the top of the roof of the Rose Garden, the top of the tallest grain silo in Portland, I've even worked underneath Willamette Falls - yes, directly under the falls, water running over the top of our heads (covered by a concrete bunker) and so loud that even earplugs did little to dampen the sound. I've worked in hospitals, office buildings, high-tech plants, chemical plants, clean rooms, schools, in ditches, on roofs. I've seen the 'hidden' spaces in buildings that few get to see, and met some amazing people along the way from other tradespeople to building maintenance to CEO's.

Fast forward to today and that lack of a college degree hasn't hurt me at all. I no longer carry the tools, but have moved up through the ranks to a job I truly enjoy in the industry. My earlier college classes have helped in terms of writing, computer skills, etc., but I think a 2 year degree from a community college would have done all I needed in those areas. I make more money than many friends who have their college degrees - and I have never, ever missed a day of work in over 20 years that I didn't choose to miss myself. Even in a world like construction where it can be up and down, good hard workers can find a way to be employed.

I don't have anything against college or degrees, but I hate this idea that everyone needs to go to college. No they don't. For many, it will be a complete waste of time and money, but yet our government thinks it's priority #1. Bullsh!t. America needs tradespeople. America needs farm workers. America needs manufacturers, grunts and others. And yes, America needs college educated workers too - we just don't need to waste resources making everyone into a college-educated folks. Fact is, if everyone got a degree, no one would be willing to do those dirty, difficult and rewarding jobs that have to be done.

It's too bad so many folks look down on those without degrees as if they're some kind of lower-class person. Truth be told, I've met more fine folks that push a broom, dig a ditch or swing a hammer than I have 'educated' folks - though, thankfully there are some very fine among the college crowd too.

I'm not too far off from you. Started off as a laborer to make money and went to school at night. Transitioned into the carpentry apprenticeship program and finally logged enough hours to make journeyman. From there, I went into the management end of things and made a really nice living, having never finished my degree. To this day, I can build anything, fix pretty much anything and in my current job manage a very successful service department. And make a living doing so. I have friends that are still paying on their student loans and I make more than they do. Go figure.

I'm not too far off from you. Started off as a laborer to make money and went to school at night. Transitioned into the carpentry apprenticeship program and finally logged enough hours to make journeyman. From there, I went into the management end of things and made a really nice living, having never finished my degree. To this day, I can build anything, fix pretty much anything and in my current job manage a very successful service department. And make a living doing so. I have friends that are still paying on their student loans and I make more than they do. Go figure.

Good to hear :) Surprising more folks don't take up such an opportunity - I think part of it is that they're not aware of the opportunities that are available to them - no only for pay and benefits, but to move up the ladder to other jobs too.

Sadly, A lot of employers are only looking for candidates with a degree! I know a number of folks that have more then the required skills and experience to get what ever job, only to be shot down because of a lack of degree, often times, the one hired isn't able, or even capable of doing the job for which they were hired, and the guys that have the skills just cannot compete! This has been an eye opener to me!

Thank you :)

I do share this kind of info with folks that will listen. Thankfully not all kids are averse to such a career. But even right now, we are hurting for workers! Pay, benefits and the satisfaction of a job well done isn't drawing people in like it used to. Construction in our area is booming and we're having to draw people from out of state, even off the streets, just to get enough to do the work. Sad state of affairs.

What's also irritating is that it's the schools themselves that are helping to lead the effort to convince everyone they must go to college. Schools like Benson Tech, which has produced many fine tradespeople over the years, seem to be ignored by the 'smart' people. We must focus on college and nothing else!! Too bad, as their are some great careers out there that don't require that one-track thinking of the political and educational elites.
I went to Benson. I was really happy at the 20th reunion (a long time ago) to see how many in my class went straight from high school into great jobs as welders, metal fabricators, and auto mechanics, to name a few.

When I was there, you could major in about a twenty different fields, but most of that is gone now. They have distilled machine shop, welding, foundry, and metal fab into something called "manufacturing". Aviation is gone, fluid power (hydraulics) is gone, I think electric and electronics are gone, and I am pretty sure automotive is gone. I know auto body is gone. There are only six majors left, including medical/dental which we inherited (along with some girls) when Washington High closed.

Rather than expanding what Benson had, it has been gutted. I think this happpened because:

1) Trade jobs were considered "menial" and "discriminatory" by the school administrators. It wasn't fair to force these kids into "dirty" jobs where, heaven forbid, you had to use your hands build things. All the good jobs were behind a computer screen, was the thinking.

2) And, paradoxically, it also somehow became discriminatory that only Benson had these vocational opportunities. It stuck in some peoples craw that you had to apply to get into Benson, and have access to all of these job opportunities after graduation.

For a long time, other than IAM-shop gigs, Boeing wanted a Bachelor's just to sweep floors--that was a policy adopted sometime after my mother hired in in '79, because she never completed even an A.A. and was headhunted over from Computer Sciences Corp.

I went to Benson. I was really happy at the 20th reunion (a long time ago) to see how many in my class went straight from high school into great jobs as welders, metal fabricators, and auto mechanics, to name a few.

When I was there, you could major in about a twenty different fields, but most of that is gone now. They have distilled machine shop, welding, foundry, and metal fab into something called "manufacturing". Aviation is gone, fluid power (hydraulics) is gone, I think electric and electronics are gone, and I am pretty sure automotive is gone. I know auto body is gone. There are only six majors left, including medical/dental which we inherited (along with some girls) when Washington High closed.

Rather than expanding what Benson had, it has been gutted. I think this happpened because:

1) Trade jobs were considered "menial" and "discriminatory" by the school administrators. It wasn't fair to force these kids into "dirty" jobs where, heaven forbid, you had to use your hands build things. All the good jobs were behind a computer screen, was the thinking.

2) And, paradoxically, it also somehow became discriminatory that only Benson had these vocational opportunities. It stuck in some peoples craw that you had to apply to get into Benson, and have access to all of these job opportunities after graduation.

That's pretty damn sad. I had folks from Benson in my apprenticeship class, in fact my 1st term instructor was also a teacher at Benson in electrical. What is wrong with the people that run our public schools?

Dirty Jobs used to be my favorite show, but never really had the time to watch it when I wanted to. Good on him for the way he replied to that person, always nice to hear a celebrity that isn't trying to undermine the 2nd Amendment. Even better when its one you like.

There is too much pressure on kids to rack up huge college debt and then work at starbucks because it turns on a degree in philosophy or creating writing isnt really going to get the great jobs.
But if not for them who else would make what they call coffee? :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'd rather have another mechanic than a person with a degree in philosophy.

I did 3 years of college, all said and done, after high school, never finished a degree. I eventually decided to bag it and head into an apprenticeship program instead, mainly because I knew I could make good money doing it. I have to say, it was one of the best decisions of my life. Sure the program at times sucked, but those 5 years went by quickly, and I was making good money in the process. I learned a lot of different skills that not only translated to my job, but added to my skill set outside of work, such as doing repairs around the house.

There is something about going to work and coming home hot and sweaty, or freezing cold, dirty, muddy, smelly, sore and tired that gives a sense of satisfaction that few things do. There were days I hated to go to work, but I still loved my job. I got to see and do things that many people will never do - I've stood on the top of the roof of the Rose Garden, the top of the tallest grain silo in Portland, I've even worked underneath Willamette Falls - yes, directly under the falls, water running over the top of our heads (covered by a concrete bunker) and so loud that even earplugs did little to dampen the sound. I've worked in hospitals, office buildings, high-tech plants, chemical plants, clean rooms, schools, in ditches, on roofs. I've seen the 'hidden' spaces in buildings that few get to see, and met some amazing people along the way from other tradespeople to building maintenance to CEO's.

Fast forward to today and that lack of a college degree hasn't hurt me at all. I no longer carry the tools, but have moved up through the ranks to a job I truly enjoy in the industry. My earlier college classes have helped in terms of writing, computer skills, etc., but I think a 2 year degree from a community college would have done all I needed in those areas. I make more money than many friends who have their college degrees - and I have never, ever missed a day of work in over 20 years that I didn't choose to miss myself. Even in a world like construction where it can be up and down, good hard workers can find a way to be employed.

I don't have anything against college or degrees, but I hate this idea that everyone needs to go to college. No they don't. For many, it will be a complete waste of time and money, but yet our government thinks it's priority #1. Bullsh!t. America needs tradespeople. America needs farm workers. America needs manufacturers, grunts and others. And yes, America needs college educated workers too - we just don't need to waste resources making everyone into a college-educated folks. Fact is, if everyone got a degree, no one would be willing to do those dirty, difficult and rewarding jobs that have to be done.

It's too bad so many folks look down on those without degrees as if they're some kind of lower-class person. Truth be told, I've met more fine folks that push a broom, dig a ditch or swing a hammer than I have 'educated' folks - though, thankfully there are some very fine among the college crowd too.

It's awesome being a "blue collar" renaissance man who is solidly in the six figure income range with full paid benefits, a pension, AND being indispensable to your employer, ain't it? ;)

I dig it. :D

What ever happend to the 20 or 30 year carer? A person graduates from High school and ether goes on to collage or enters a trade and stays till retirement! Those days are almost gone! I do not see them coming back ether. Every one is now disposable, jobs are shipped off shore, and those that manage to hold on for a little while longer get replace with two at less then half the salary of the original person! No one wants to pay benefits or a pension, no one wants to pay for health insurance, hell, many don't even want to pay some one a full 40 hour week ant more! And a degree, any more, it's just a piece of fancy paper that has no meaning any longer! How long can one expect to remain employed at the same employer now days, degree or no!!!

What ever happend to the 20 or 30 year carer? A person graduates from High school and ether goes on to collage or enters a trade and stays till retirement! Those days are almost gone! I do not see them coming back ether. Every one is now disposable, jobs are shipped off shore, and those that manage to hold on for a little while longer get replace with two at less then half the salary of the original person! No one wants to pay benefits or a pension, no one wants to pay for health insurance, hell, many don't even want to pay some one a full 40 hour week ant more! And a degree, any more, it's just a piece of fancy paper that has no meaning any longer! How long can one expect to remain employed at the same employer now days, degree or no!!!

I've been in my career for 24 years now, and will celebrate 21 years with the same company next month. I think it can still happen, but not like it used to be. One of the vendors we work with back in Chicago has a wall with photos of employees and how long they've worked for the company. It's a big wall, filled with many people - and you don't make the wall unless you've been there at least 30 years. There are people on that wall that came in at close to 50 years with the company. That probably is quite rare now.

I went into the Army right after high school , was going to make it a career , but things change.
Floundered around a bit after I got out , worked mostly part time or "under the table" while I went back to school.

Now I've been teaching for ten years and it just goes to show that hard work and not giving up can really work out for you.
Andy

If I could do it all again there are some things that I would change. Like work for someone else. working for myself as a business owner has its rewards but the government has there damn hand out at every turn and makes it difficult for the small guys. Seriously if I figured it out I bet I make about $10.00 an hour with all the hours I put in. o_O

I have 26 years in my trade (HVAC-R), 4yrs self-employed, and 8yrs with my current employer (BTW- the BEST company I ever worked for).

Another 15-16 years and I most likely will be able to retire (early). ;)

I'm hoping I can be out in 14-15 years, depends on a variety of factors, but certainly on the way. I may even manage to pull it off still working for the same company.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top