JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Something to notice from his response...

He does not directly respond how she wants him to. This is important as well for us to notice. We should give the background reasons why we go to a venue. Why we support those who put on that venue and how it's changed some people's perspectives.

Erode their foundation and you leave them hanging on a cliff.

I hear ya bolus about the dare I say over emphasis on college degrees that may have a limited job market.

A more balanced focus on college , trade schools and apprenticeship programs is needed in many high schools today.
Thanks for the heads up on Mike Rowe.
Andy

Plus it is a pretty hilarious show. I like the one where he went out with the snake researcher and proceeds to get bit a bunch of times the best. I think I binge watched all the seasons when it was on netflix

If she took him up on his offer, the crowd at shot would welcome her with open arms. The most inclusive group of people in our nation is the one who fights for the rights of every American to defend themselves. The more people we bring into the fold, the stronger we all become.

Plus it is a pretty hilarious show. I like the one where he went out with the snake researcher and proceeds to get bit a bunch of times the best. I think I binge watched all the seasons when it was on netflix

Lol. Yea, it's that one or the Vegas pig farm.. the owner was a hoot n a half..

BRO CRUSH ON THAT GUY. Hard to come back with that well thought out response when facing ANTI face to face. Good to have ideas in your head before hand.

If my conceal carry was somehow noticed at bimart and anti asked " why do you need a gun?" MYOB is not good answer, instead possibly say "thanks for asking " and go on to explain 2nd amend, license, and not willing to be an unarmed victim. I've never been put in that position.

All my jumps in the Army were at night ... 'Cause I was sooo scared I kept my eyes closed! :p
Well not really ... But makes for a funny joke.

Back to topic ... I have never heard of Mike Rowe before.
But he seems like a class act and a neat guy to meet.
Andy

Well Andy my father also jumped (can't remember how many times) from perfectly good aeroplanes back in the day and I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. God love the men who have the intestinal fortitude to do what needs to be done for their country. SALUTE!!!!
Back to our regularly scheduled program.
Mike could tell you to "STUFF IT" in a way that one would enjoy the experience..... God Bless im!!!;)

Last Edited:
Mike R. has always been a Class Act, Stand up Guy! I have talked to a few folks that have met him,, and all say what we see in public is the same guy in private life! His response to the pizzed off fan was spot on, and from what I have heard of him, typical M.R. Out smart um with smarts!

U

Yes!! That was my favorite episode as well. I came here just to post about it but you beat me to it.

He just keeps getting bit, over and over, and that chick who actually does the job finds the whole thing hilarious.

Mike is a class act, one of the few in the entertainment biz. And his efforts to try to increase vocational training in this country couldn't be more on target.

Working in a high school I have seen what can appear as "snobbery" when it comes to life after high school and service or vocational related skills and jobs.

We need to get back to the idea that there in nothing wrong with working in the service or vocational fields.
College is indeed worthwhile , but its just not the only or best option out there for everyone.
Andy

Working in a high school I have seen what can appear as "snobbery" when it comes to life after high school and service or vocational related skills and jobs.

We need to get back to the idea that there in nothing wrong with working in the service or vocational fields.
College is indeed worthwhile , but its just not the only or best option out there for everyone.
Andy

I did 3 years of college, all said and done, after high school, never finished a degree. I eventually decided to bag it and head into an apprenticeship program instead, mainly because I knew I could make good money doing it. I have to say, it was one of the best decisions of my life. Sure the program at times sucked, but those 5 years went by quickly, and I was making good money in the process. I learned a lot of different skills that not only translated to my job, but added to my skill set outside of work, such as doing repairs around the house.

There is something about going to work and coming home hot and sweaty, or freezing cold, dirty, muddy, smelly, sore and tired that gives a sense of satisfaction that few things do. There were days I hated to go to work, but I still loved my job. I got to see and do things that many people will never do - I've stood on the top of the roof of the Rose Garden, the top of the tallest grain silo in Portland, I've even worked underneath Willamette Falls - yes, directly under the falls, water running over the top of our heads (covered by a concrete bunker) and so loud that even earplugs did little to dampen the sound. I've worked in hospitals, office buildings, high-tech plants, chemical plants, clean rooms, schools, in ditches, on roofs. I've seen the 'hidden' spaces in buildings that few get to see, and met some amazing people along the way from other tradespeople to building maintenance to CEO's.

Fast forward to today and that lack of a college degree hasn't hurt me at all. I no longer carry the tools, but have moved up through the ranks to a job I truly enjoy in the industry. My earlier college classes have helped in terms of writing, computer skills, etc., but I think a 2 year degree from a community college would have done all I needed in those areas. I make more money than many friends who have their college degrees - and I have never, ever missed a day of work in over 20 years that I didn't choose to miss myself. Even in a world like construction where it can be up and down, good hard workers can find a way to be employed.

I don't have anything against college or degrees, but I hate this idea that everyone needs to go to college. No they don't. For many, it will be a complete waste of time and money, but yet our government thinks it's priority #1. Bullsh!t. America needs tradespeople. America needs farm workers. America needs manufacturers, grunts and others. And yes, America needs college educated workers too - we just don't need to waste resources making everyone into a college-educated folks. Fact is, if everyone got a degree, no one would be willing to do those dirty, difficult and rewarding jobs that have to be done.

It's too bad so many folks look down on those without degrees as if they're some kind of lower-class person. Truth be told, I've met more fine folks that push a broom, dig a ditch or swing a hammer than I have 'educated' folks - though, thankfully there are some very fine among the college crowd too.

Last Edited:
BRO CRUSH ON THAT GUY. Hard to come back with that well thought out response when facing ANTI face to face. Good to have ideas in your head before hand.

If my conceal carry was somehow noticed at bimart and anti asked " why do you need a gun?" MYOB is not good answer, instead possibly say "thanks for asking " and go on to explain 2nd amend, license, and not willing to be an unarmed victim. I've never been put in that position.

Love this thread.

A retired policeman in Salem told me that if someone asks him why he carries a gun, he says "Because I'm not strong enough to carry a whole cop."

I think most of the anti-gun crowd aren't really anti-gun. They're just being very selective about who they think should have/carry a gun. If they get into trouble, they'll dial 911 just like anyone else will - and pray that the good guys (and their guns) will get there in time to save them.

Our TV died years ago, and we just ever replaced it. But I've seen Mike Rowe on YouTube. Seems like a great guy.

I did 3 years of college, all said and done, after high school, never finished a degree. I eventually decided to bag it and head into an apprenticeship program instead, mainly because I knew I could make good money doing it. I have to say, it was one of the best decisions of my life. Sure the program at times sucked, but those 5 years went by quickly, and I was making good money in the process. I learned a lot of different skills that not only translated to my job, but added to my skill set outside of work, such as doing repairs around the house.

There is something about going to work and coming home hot and sweaty, or freezing cold, dirty, muddy, smelly, sore and tired that gives a sense of satisfaction that few things do. There were days I hated to go to work, but I still loved my job. I got to see and do things that many people will never do - I've stood on the top of the roof of the Rose Garden, the top of the tallest grain silo in Portland, I've even worked underneath Willamette Falls - yes, directly under the falls, water running over the top of our heads (covered by a concrete bunker) and so loud that even earplugs did little to dampen the sound. I've worked in hospitals, office buildings, high-tech plants, chemical plants, clean rooms, schools, in ditches, on roofs. I've seen the 'hidden' spaces in buildings that few get to see, and met some amazing people along the way from other tradespeople to building maintenance to CEO's.

Fast forward to today and that lack of a college degree hasn't hurt me at all. I no longer carry the tools, but have moved up through the ranks to a job I truly enjoy in the industry. My earlier college classes have helped in terms of writing, computer skills, etc., but I think a 2 year degree from a community college would have done all I needed in those areas. I make more money than many friends who have their college degrees - and I have never, ever missed a day of work in over 20 years that I didn't choose to miss myself. Even in a world like construction where it can be up and down, good hard workers can find a way to be employed.

I don't have anything against college or degrees, but I hate this idea that everyone needs to go to college. No they don't. For many, it will be a complete waste of time and money, but yet our government thinks it's priority #1. Bullsh!t. America needs tradespeople. America needs farm workers. America needs manufacturers, grunts and others. And yes, America needs college educated workers too - we just don't need to waste resources making everyone into a college-educated folks. Fact is, if everyone got a degree, no one would be willing to do those dirty, difficult and rewarding jobs that have to be done.

I really enjoyed reading that. Seriously etrain you should think about going to schools and talking to our youth. They need to hear that it's ok not to go to college. I personally learned the hard way working for my dad in the construction industry. Building houses and doing remodel's since I could go to work pushing a broom and packing lumber.

It is a trade that most youth don't want to learn and its sad. :(

Awesome response!!! Although I did not go to college (until late I was 50 for retraining) I too have had your same enthusiasm working in the skilled trades, I started out the same way as an apprentice, worked my way up to be a journeyman in my field. The only difference was that I didn't get the chance to move up because I injured my back and my company threw me under the bus. Threw away 25+ years of experience that could have served them handsomely in the engineering department.
What I am seeing in these new generationsite of people is that technology has taken over every aspect of their life and they cannot be bothered with havi g a job working in a ditch with a shovel in their hand or changing tires or....... instead their aspiratios are sitting in an office with a handheld device glued to their hands 24/7. I hate to say it but the pussification in America has possibly ruined the last two generations and no good options are in sight for any on the horizon...

I really enjoyed reading that. Seriously etrain you should think about going to schools and talking to our youth. They need to hear that it's ok not to go to college. I personally learned the hard way working for my dad in the construction industry. Building houses and doing remodel's since I could go to work pushing a broom and packing lumber.

It is a trade that most youth don't want to learn and its sad. :(

Thank you :)

I do share this kind of info with folks that will listen. Thankfully not all kids are averse to such a career. But even right now, we are hurting for workers! Pay, benefits and the satisfaction of a job well done isn't drawing people in like it used to. Construction in our area is booming and we're having to draw people from out of state, even off the streets, just to get enough to do the work. Sad state of affairs.

What's also irritating is that it's the schools themselves that are helping to lead the effort to convince everyone they must go to college. Schools like Benson Tech, which has produced many fine tradespeople over the years, seem to be ignored by the 'smart' people. We must focus on college and nothing else!! Too bad, as their are some great careers out there that don't require that one-track thinking of the political and educational elites.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top