Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Migration Complete - Initial Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Joe Link, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Well guys, welcome home! As of 11AM this morning, we are now fully migrated to our brand new server! I want to thank everyone for their patience and support. This server will provide us with a much better platform for our future growth and development.

Once the site has been up for a couple days and we're confident there are no major issues, we'll begin implementing the improvements made possible with this upgrade. I'm very happy with the speed increases we've seen so far, and we still have a lot to do in the way of optimization. We just rebuilt the engine and fired it up, now it's time to tune it! We'll be announcing new features in this section, as we roll them out.

The purpose of this thread is to get some initial feedback. I'm sure if there were any huge problems we'd have heard about it by now, but sometimes issues do go unreported. As with ever large, multi-component IT project such as this, it's pretty much guaranteed that gremlins will present themselves at some point. Our job is to make sure we tackle them when they're small and manageable. If you encounter an issue with the site, please post a description of it in this thread so we can look into it. We'd also like to hear your initial feedback on performance and/or anything else you've noticed. If possible, please include a description of your computer or device, hardware and software, and your internet connection details.

Lastly, be sure you keep an eye on this section of the forum for new feature announcements. We have some exciting things coming up! :)

2. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I dont know if its officially transition yet?

But I had a few PMs and posts I tried responding back to that when I pressed post reply the whole page refreshed and all the data from my post was gone?

Perhaps I jumped the gun and tried posting before the forum was ready?;)

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Could be! DNS propagation and caching always make for interesting quirks. When was the last time you noticed this?

4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Were you paying attention to your facebook replies earlier? For some of us there was a delay in gaining access. I had to screw around to "gain entry" but once I shut my computer down, it was an "F" fest all over again...
    Even though you posted a link as to how to fix the "DNS" thing, many of us are not all that computer savvy and it is frustrating.
    However, now that I'm "here", all is well.

5. Joe Link

I actually just saw that a few minutes ago. I spent the morning chasing small bugs, and the early afternoon taking a nap. What they say about sleep deprecation feeling like a .10 BAC is true! I was awake and working mostly non-stop from 5:30AM Tuesday until 11:30AM this morning. I'm convinced I should never do that again, it's surreal.

I should have included a disclaimer about the DNS article we linked. In hindsight, it was clear my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders. Most people are behind consumer routers which cache the DNS results, so flushing the DNS on your local system wouldn't have much of an effect. I'll learn from this for next time, and likely omit the DNS info all together and let the system

orygun likes this.
  6. orygun

Just for the record, Joe, we really appreciate what you do for us.

Thank you. :s0155:

7. Joe Link

Thanks man, I truly enjoy my work here.

8. orygun

And we truly enjoy what you're doing. We are so used to things working seamlessly that we may get a little cranky when it doesn't. Just think of us ol' timers as 3 year olds that need a nap.

cheers!

Joe Link likes this.
  9. corsar66

corsar66 Clackamas Member

Very snapy loads .
    Thank you Joe :)

10. rutilate

rutilate Vancouver and Surrounds Active Member

Thanks for getting the tapatalk integration working again.

11. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

No bubbles, no troubles. The RAM upgrade is noticeable. Servers aren't all about horsepower, but more on ft/lbs of torque. ;)

12. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator Staff Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

While posting a couple of private conversations, just moments ago, I was prompted to sign in again. That happened about 4 times (each time I responded to a private conversation). ??

Bill

13. Joe Link

Thanks for the replies, guys.

When you log in, do you click the keep me signed in box?

14. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator Staff Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

No I don't. Never have before. Unless it was auto default, before.

Just logged off, signed in again and saw that box. So checked it and we'll see.

Thanks.

15. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Its a first class interface. Good job.

16. Joe Link

Thanks Bill, keep me updated. We're actually modifying that functionality a bit, as we move to a much more secure connection between members and our server (BIG hint there :)).

It's only going to get better :D

U201491 and Cogs like this.
  17. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Definately faster on my phone. Thanks so much!

18. hewasajumperboy

hewasajumperboy West Linn New Member

Nice work on the migration! Thank you for offering such a fantastic resource.

One question though, RSS has been down since Tuesday evening and it seems the old index.rss pages got marked with new permissions. Will this feature be coming back or is there a new set of feeds I should be pointing at?

19. scooby

scooby Portland New Member

There is a very noticeable increase in the performance of the site on the new platform, thanks!

20. balline36m3

balline36m3 Yakima WA Active Member

Very noticeable speed increase on my phone. No bugs for me so far. Thanks for all the work you have done here