JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sure bro... and yes imo those are all improvements and nice for first time builders with little or no tools.

imo to have a non threaded takedown pin detent on a modern lower is ignorant.

I suppose the Aero M4e1 could be considered "nice for first time builders with little or no tools". IMO they are a shortcut rather than spending the time, effort and few dollars to do it right. Some consider those changes "improvements" but I assure you they are not.

One of the outstanding features of the AR-15 is it's modularity, it was designed to be rebuilt, rebuilt and rebuilt. There are AR receivers in military armorers that are decades old and have been rebuilt multiple times. Little tiny threads in aluminum are a bad thing as they are too easily stripped out rendering the receiver useless over what should have been a 2 cent part, there is a reason for the roll pins and captive detents as originally design.

The integral trigger guard, aside from sucking in shape, does away with more modularity and eliminates another design feature, the ability to fold the trigger guard out of the way to be capable of use with heavily gloved hands in severe weather. I'm not likely to replace a trigger guard on a factory built gun with a specific reason but if I'm build something for myself it is getting a KAC trigger guard and don't need an integral one getting in the way. That tension screw thing does nothing other than add complexity. A little play between the upper and lower means zilch, if wobble is really that big of concern up the quality of the product with something like a SOLGW receiver set, zero play.

There have been and are legitimate improvements to the original design but you're not going to find them in Aero M4e1. All that said, I highly recommend first time AR buyers to purchase a quality factory gun or complete components as I mention above rather than assembling one. First, it gives them a proven benchmark to work with and learn from, and second, if they decide it is not for them and want to sell it, it will be much easier to move than some cobbled together POS put together by a novice (they just don't sell well). Third and lastly, how many thread titles have you seen that read along the lines of My home build AR jams and won't "X,Y or Z", now ask yourself do you really want to rely on what may be your one and only AR, something for serious use that you built without really know what your doing? After becoming familiar with a reliable duty grade weapon, then go the rabbit hole of building if desired.

OP, find a Colt, BCM, SIONICS, SOLGW or the like with a history of duty use.

You're too late to the big party in OR.

Buy $1k worth of 7.62x39 instead.
Yes way late to the party and you need to get the AR in time as well as scarf up mags you are taking the fat girl with the mustache to the prom my friend . They do say fat chicks are like mopeds fun to ride around but don't let your friends see you on it lol !

Last Edited:
I suppose the Aero M4e1 could be considered "nice for first time builders with little or no tools". IMO they are a shortcut rather than spending the time, effort and few dollars to do it right. Some consider those changes "improvements" but I assure you they are not.

One of the outstanding features of the AR-15 is it's modularity, it was designed to be rebuilt, rebuilt and rebuilt. There are AR receivers in military armorers that are decades old and have been rebuilt multiple times. Little tiny threads in aluminum are a bad thing as they are too easily stripped out rendering the receiver useless over what should have been a 2 cent part, there is a reason for the roll pins and captive detents as originally design.

The integral trigger guard, aside from sucking in shape, does away with more modularity and eliminates another design feature, the ability to fold the trigger guard out of the way to be capable of use with heavily gloved hands in severe weather. I'm not likely to replace a trigger guard on a factory built gun with a specific reason but if I'm build something for myself it is getting a KAC trigger guard and don't need an integral one getting in the way. That tension screw thing does nothing other than add complexity. A little play between the upper and lower means zilch, if wobble is really that big of concern up the quality of the product with something like a SOLGW receiver set, zero play.

There have been and are legitimate improvements to the original design but you're not going to find them in Aero M4e1. All that said, I highly recommend first time AR buyers to purchase a quality factory gun or complete components as I mention above rather than assembling one. First, it gives them a proven benchmark to work with and learn from, and second, if they decide it is not for them and want to sell it, it will be much easier to move than some cobbled together POS put together by a novice (they just don't sell well). Third and lastly, how many thread titles have you seen that read along the lines of My home build AR jams and won't "X,Y or Z", now ask yourself do you really want to rely on what may be your one and only AR, something for serious use that you built without really know what your doing? After becoming familiar with a reliable duty grade weapon, then go the rabbit hole of building if desired.

OP, find a Colt, BCM, SIONICS, SOLGW or the like with a history of duty use.
Not reading that and cant believe you wasted your time. You Shoulda just stuck with that meme. You wont change my mind.

In stead of 556, why not 7.62x39? You already have AK(s) so you could automatically start shooting your existing stockpile. You could always buy a 556 upper later while stocking up on ammo.

Hello, I am thankfully not in your shoes because I voted with my feet.

If I was though I would buy a 5 pack of lowers from some place and pray they arrived in time. Figure out the rest later. If you are concerned about quality buy some pin gauges and make sure they are spec but it's probably fine.

If after the deadline I would buy some bu bble gum to mill because that is legal for at least a while.

I recommend since you are unsure just to order a couple cheap receivers with all the black Friday deals happening you could get 2 for less than a hundred not counting transfer fees and build them later when you know more about them and buy some mags before you can't. It's really that simple. Other wise set a budget and try to get the best bang for your buck.

WoodsPlinker I did vote with my feet and left California six months ago! Now Oregon is the same thing!
I have two neighbors from California, one from southern California one from Northern.

I'm hoping things here don't change too quickly but, ya never know. Everyone I've met has the same worry and moved here for similar reasons.

I have two neighbors from California, one from southern California one from Northern.

I'm hoping things here don't change too quickly but, ya never know. Everyone I've met has the same worry and moved here for similar reasons.
With neighbors like that, I would fire a couple of rounds each morning everyday until they develop ulcers and move to Colorado.

WoodsPlinker I did vote with my feet and left California six months ago! Now Oregon is the same thing!
Don't forget to "mag up" while the gettin's good.
First check with the local shops.
Then...
Botach
The Mag Shack
Gun Mag Warehouse
Brownells
Midway
Palmetto
Primary Arms
JoeBob
DSG
Stick with Okay Sure-Feed, Pmag, Lancer if possible.
Don't forget to get a few Sure-Feed 20rd (if you ever want to shoot prone or off a bench, it's nice to have a few 20's)

With neighbors like that, I would fire a couple of rounds each morning everyday until they develop ulcers and move to Colorado.
Colorado is a lot like Oregon, a lot of blue mixed with that red.

The one neighbor from California has filled all his tags and is quintessential redneck and the other neighbor from California is busy raising pigs and cows for slaughter. They fire their own rounds.

And the other person from California I met nearby had a 50 cal antenna on his truck which I kinda liked.

Come to think of it, four out of my five neighbors shoot on their own property. And the one that doesn't never complains.

These are honest gun loving Californians that got driven out by the rest of the people in their state. Hell no would I move to a purple state like Colorado, and I like my Californian neighbors.

They don't complain when I go out into my backyard and Target practice, even 308. The only neighbor that even came close to complaining was a neighbor from Wyoming, and she apologized to me for complaining afterwards.

And she hunts bear in Alaska in her 70s alone so I accepted the apology because she's too bad donkey(can't say the other one) to not.

Nope, I'm happy where I'm at, and my neighbors are awesome. Hell the one that complained even brought me Christmas cookies. So hell no, I would never move close to Colorado.

She didn't even really complain just told me I spooked her horses and that's understandable. And I'm buying suppressors so I don't have to watch a 70 year old run after her horses that just made me feel crappy.

Now, why the hell has the ATF taken almost a year with their damn eform system. I want my hushing devices.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top