JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) I suggest you hang on to it for at least long enough to see how the situation coalesces vis-à-vis socio-political developments.
Paying off debt is the flip side to saving, unless you need the cash more than you need to reduce your debt.

2) Right now isn't the best of times to be buying a gun or ammo in terms of prices and availability, especially the Galil.
I'm betting that you already have something suitable for HD/SD, so this purchase isn't imperative on an existential level.

3) "I'd get a high end FA AK instead."
Is such available for $8K?

4) If you hang on to the cash you will have it ready should some particularly good deal come your way.

Honestly, if you have any unsecured debt (credit cards, etc).... pay them off (or down if it's more than $8k)... the money you save in interest will accumulate and you can buy toys with cash before you know it!

That's what I'd want my heirs to do... :s0155:
Best advice right there!
I sold my Powder Springs MAC10/45 F/A a while back. Had the Lage folding stock, Slowfire Upper and TROS Barracuda Suppressor. It shot really well, but in the end even though I doubled my $$ in the sale, I have to say the wanting was much more pleasurable than the having.

Interesting I too should be coming into some money soon from a lawsuit my dad was involved in (he died from Mesothelioma) about 10K is the estimate.

I will buy a rifle I have wanted for a couple decades a reproduction Winchester model 1885 in 45-70 32" barrel double set triggers deluxe stock. With a set of med distance sights and a Malcome 6X long tube scope. Approx. $2400.00 also I will finish the .35 Whelen I am building from a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter cost about $800. I am thinking of adding a Henry .22mag pump cost $475ish. I will then put about $3000 into the retirement account. $1000 into my shop mostly for consumable supplies $1500 into finishing some remodeling on the house Balance ???

Buy one nice gun, save or invest the rest.

In the reverse order.

If WOD has debt that the $8K would pay off, I would do that first.

Then if I didn't need the guns (or ammo), I would set it aside in some kind of savings/investment account where I earned something.

Of course, that depends on one's financial/job and guns/ammo situation.

I have about $35-$40K in my checking account and another $45K in a Roth IRA (tax free). I also should be getting SSI after August, which would pay my monthly bills.

I could buy a lot of nice guns with that. But I already have all of the nice guns I need and then some.

Sure, I would like more (like the .460 Magnum lever action from BHA and that nice Enfield carbine in 7.62x39 for sale by AO3), but I don't need them - I need more ammo, optic/sights and gun mods/etc.

I also need to buy land and build a house, and other expenses are sure to come up.

So I am back to the practice of only buying those things I need with the $ I get from selling things I don't need (like when I sold my .50 BMG rifle).

Unless you're in at least the top 15% of income earners, have zero debt (other than a house), and have at least a year saved up in cash for a rainy day, pay off debt/save it and buy guns later when you're in a better place financially.

I knew a guy in college that got a $40k settlement from an accident that broke a tooth. He blew the money, didn't pay off any debt, and still has a his old crappy flapper tooth.

Save it, or pay off debt.

If I was to spend it on a firearm get a nice pistol engraved with his name, initials, favorite quote or something and keep it to hand down the line.

The thought of spending $8k on something is hard for me to comprehend.

Unless you get a Barrett 50.

Then do it.

In the reverse order.

If WOD has debt that the $8K would pay off, I would do that first.

Then if I didn't need the guns (or ammo), I would set it aside in some kind of savings/investment account where I earned something.

Of course, that depends on one's financial/job and guns/ammo situation.

I have about $35-$40K in my checking account and another $45K in a Roth IRA (tax free). I also should be getting SSI after August, which would pay my monthly bills.

I could buy a lot of nice guns with that. But I already have all of the nice guns I need and then some.

Sure, I would like more (like the .460 Magnum lever action from BHA and that nice Enfield carbine in 7.62x39 for sale by AO3), but I don't need them - I need more ammo, optic/sights and gun mods/etc.

I also need to buy land and build a house, and other expenses are sure to come up.

So I am back to the practice of only buying those things I need with the $ I get from selling things I don't need (like when I sold my .50 BMG rifle).

I was assuming debt-free

If you think Glocks are a brick in the hand try a MAC-10 or 11. I think they're overrated. I'd get a high end FA AK instead.
That's more like 30k.

I have a well paying job and so does my wife. I am pretty well off especially considering what I come from. However, for inheritances I am sappy. I don't want cash so much as something I can enjoy that brings to mind time spent with my grandfather.

There is a reason for everything on the list. Something that reminds me of him. I am not hurting for funds. I might not be a year able to pay expenses in cash, however I am doing well enough.

I also might mention if I move states it will probably be to Idaho, Montana or similar. Not moving to a blue state again.

But the desert Eagle / Galil might be taking the lead. Mac is the other one I can't shake. Also, I do own a Sten, so am already a little familiar with fa stuff.

Last Edited:
Coming into a pile of money is a test.

It can set you on a good path. Or it can teach you nothing.
FWIW I was homeless in my teens early twenties. It's a long story and that was the price of exiting a cult and being essentially shunned. The wife and I are doing quite well, on a good road to retirement actually. I have a decent number of hard assets as well.

If you don't already have it covered...

Maybe a couple 529 College Savings Plans for the Daughters?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads