JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To me 114 is a deadly snake that will bite any manufacturer that gets close. It's not just that they could be breaking the law but they open themselves up to the court system.

Suppose Midway sends a bunch of mags to a man who uses them in a school shooting? Midway would be deep pockets and hung out to dry. Today's courts can't be counted on for justice for the most part and I wouldn't risk selling to Oregon.

Along about April when the credit card companies start tracking ammo sales, I suspect the data will be stored for a future purpose. o_O
114 does suck, if enacted, but until it's enacted, it makes no difference in any legal or liability sense for the suppliers. OR is no different than any other state where magazine purchases are perfectly legal. The only time they would have any legal exposure would be selling and shipping in mags to OR after it was illegal for them to do so. There is no retroactive liability for any mags sold and shipped into OR prior to them being made illegal.

In the example, that's really true of any mfg/suppler, but 114 has no affect pro or con in that. Attempts will always be made to sue anyone and everyone even remotely connected to a tragedy if it's legally allowable or not.

The basic facts are that there is currently no mag ban in OR. It's perfectly legal for any supplier to ship any capacity mag into Oregon and there are no legal repercussion... now or later... for them to do so. The even bigger slap in the face is that they are not only limiting 10+ mags from shipping, but "any" mag of "any" capacity with a removeable end plate.

With the TRO in place though, no provision of 114 exists and has zero legal ramifications for suppliers. There really is no "valid" reason companies like Midway can give, other than... "our legal team has reccomended we don't"... but have offered no explaination or legal basis for their reasoning. Quite honestly, there is none.

114 does suck, if enacted, but until it's enacted, it makes no difference in any legal or liability sense for the suppliers. OR is no different than any other state where magazine purchases are perfectly legal. The only time they would have any legal exposure would be selling and shipping in mags to OR after it was illegal for them to do so. There is no retroactive liability for any mags sold and shipped into OR prior to them being made illegal.

In the example, that's really true of any mfg/suppler, but 114 has no affect pro or con in that. Attempts will always be made to sue anyone and everyone even remotely connected to a tragedy if it's legally allowable or not.

The basic facts are that there is currently no mag ban in OR. It's perfectly legal for any supplier to ship any capacity mag into Oregon and there are no legal repercussion... now or later... for them to do so. The even bigger slap in the face is that they are not only limiting 10+ mags from shipping, but "any" mag of "any" capacity with a removeable end plate.

With the TRO in place though, no provision of 114 exists and has zero legal ramifications for suppliers. There really is no "valid" reason companies like Midway can give, other than... "our legal team has reccomended we don't"... but have offered no explaination or legal basis for their reasoning. Quite honestly, there is none.
The problem is you are being reasonable. A Multnomah County jury will not be reasonable, especially against evil gun people.

The current law of the land is that 10+ mag are illegal to sell in Oregon. There is a temporary order that has stopped this from being enforced. Some companies have decided to continue to sell, others have decided the risk exposure is too great. If you are willing to call Midway and tell them that you will put up a $50 Million bond in their name in the event they get sued, perhaps they will start selling mags again. But for now, they are the ones who going to shell out likely over a million just to defend a case.

Midway is not the enemy, voters and sponsors for 114 are.

That's partially true.. I recently found a smoking deal on a Romanian WASR-10 AK rifle on Midway. They listed the price at 792.00 then within less than 24 hours they jacked it up to $900.00 The only reason it didn't end up in my cart is because when I went to check out it said " This item cannot be shipped to Oregon" which was the 30 round mag. Now... I could have bought the rifle and called customer service in the morning but I let it go as I felt it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to argue about the legalities of M114 in Oregon... Which mind you isn't even law yet..

It's a moral dilemma with Midway. They have fantastic deals sometimes, especially on reloading items like bullets ( factory seconds) So far they have shown zero spine in standing up for states battling out 2A issues, when vendors half their size do.

So in my book Midway are spineless scalpers who are only out to make a buck. I can recall all the times during checkout they've asked for "donations to the NRA" which is a joke. Midway will continue to turn their backs on more states in the future.

The problem is you are being reasonable. A Multnomah County jury will not be reasonable, especially against evil gun people.

The current law of the land is that 10+ mag are illegal to sell in Oregon. There is a temporary order that has stopped this from being enforced. Some companies have decided to continue to sell, others have decided the risk exposure is too great. If you are willing to call Midway and tell them that you will put up a $50 Million bond in their name in the event they get sued, perhaps they will start selling mags again. But for now, they are the ones who going to shell out likely over a million just to defend a case.

, HR114 is NOT in effect. The TRO does not mean it is simply not being enforced, Judge Raschio's own words...
Raschio ruled from the bench. "And that potential could happen if Ballot Measure 114 is allowed to go into effect without significant judicial scrutiny.
The TRO has kept it from being in effect. It's not a matter of enforcement. There is NO risk of exposure for selling 10+ mags in Oregon except in some peoples minds. 10+ round mags ARE NOT illegal to sell in Oregon. period.

Some day perhaps, not now.
Midway can choose what to do, that's their call, but to say it's because it's illegal to sell such a product in Oregon is misinformation and totally incorrect.

, HR114 is NOT in effect. The TRO does not mean it is simply not being enforced, Judge Raschio's own words...

The TRO has kept it from being in effect. It's not a matter of enforcement.
The verbiage contained in 114 is factually black letter law in the state of Oregon. Quote #2 says the same thing, it is law, and it is being kept from enforcement.

Here is why I choose to have a little more grace than perhaps others with these suddenly evil companies that have supported our 2A and shooting sports causes for decades. You are asking not only that they keep up with the laws of all 50 states, but also all the temporary orders. Oh, and they also have to keep up with all the cities and counties that create their own laws as well. Think of the bubblegum show that was Oregon related to the different cases filed in the weeks after 114 passed. We on this forum alone had multiple threads with hundreds of posts just trying to figure out what the status is. Yet we expect companies figure all this out...for 50 states...knowing if they get it wrong a rogue AG or county prosecutor would love to make an example of them, possibly bankrupting the company. To their lawyers, the law does say it is unlawful to sell some items.

Why I will not jump ship on Midway:
  • They have directly funded many youth shooting sports programs through grants, including local ones
  • They sponsor many of the shooting shows such as Shooting USA that I have enjoyed for years
  • They facilitated means for buyers to donate over $22 Million to the NRA through their change up program (I'm currently on the no more $$$ to the NRA until Wayne is gone but they can do as they wish.)
  • They support nine different hunting conservation groups such as DU, Pheasants/Quail Forever & RMEF.
  • They started as a small business in the 70's and did that American Dream thing pretty well. I started buying from them before Al invented the internet.
I respect others' viewpoints, but given their track record for over 40 years I'm choosing to not like it but not make it a hill to die on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top