JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wish they had dome something like Tora Tora Tora! least they tried to get things accurate in that.

By the way, if you want to see prob the best docu serise on WWII, check out.. A World at War.. done back in 71-73. Hard to get much better then Jimmie Doolittle talking about the Doolittle raid. Cant get stuff like that anymore.

We had a family friend who served on the USS Yorktown in the Battle of Midway. As I'm sure most of you know, the Yorktown was sunk during the Battle of Midway. He never, ever, talked about it. Decades later it still haunted him. He settled in the Salem area after the war and owned/operated a successful holly tree farm. He was a real gentleman. It is one of the great honors of my life to have been a pallbearer at his funeral.

I really do hope people enjoy the movie and it does raise awareness, especially among kids. Sometimes knowing the real story makes it hard to watch crap.

Last Edited:
my reaction to that news
shocked-face-300x225.gif

totally surprised. I have a feeling it had the historical accuracy of The Patriot. :rolleyes:

Is Hollyweird incapable of making a decent film these days? Seems like they only put out remakes and those stupid super hero films, and they all suck.

And agreed with the statement above; the Midway that came out in the 70s was good. :s0155:

I'll watch it because I watch too many damned movies BUT I'll not hold my breath over expectations. Looks like it's just going to be a typical Hollywood makeover on history.

That 1917 movie, now that looks enjoyable.

I support these movies because it helps the younger generation to remeber and perhaps will cause further interest and investigation. We need to remeber those that paid the price.

I have a feeling it had the historical accuracy of The Patriot.
The Patriot was never presented as anything of historical accuracy. It was a fictitious story embedded within a loose representation of something historically true. Similar to 'Pearl Harbor' but with that they tried to present the attack more historically correct.

My impression of 'Midway' (from watching the trailer) is they are doing about the same.

Over on TCM The Best Years of Our Lives Veterans Day lineup on Monday at 9:00 a.m. (Eastern).

Over on TCM The Best Years of Our Lives Veterans Day lineup on Monday at 9:00 a.m. (Eastern).

I really like this movie and I have watched it numerous times over the years.

CGI?

What is CGI in a film?
The term 'CGI animation' refers to dynamic CGI rendered as a movie. The term virtual world refers to agent-based, interactive environments. Computer graphics software is used to make computer-generated imagery for films, etc.

I had to look it up!

I liked the old original movie.

I can't remember some of the newer war film TITLES, in the last 20 or so years, that many people loved and they did not impress me. I barely knew any of the newer actors or just plain did NOT know them. So much of it looked fake, they had a lousy story line and the younger actors did not LOOK/act/speak like real men.

I could rent movies DIRT CHEAP for 99 cents for a new release - one day rental and, later on, for one week for 99 cents. Now all of the rental places are gone unless you use a machine like an old Coca Cola machine and slap a card into it which I am sure will be HACKED by a scan/skimming device that someone can put in so they can steal your info and account. Gasoline stations and many stores had those issues with those scan/skim hacking do dads.

I miss video stores. My husband and I broke down and did buy some newer movies/shows ON SALE over the years that people RAVED ABOUT and we did think NOT that they were that great.

I do ENJOY the older war movies. Especially when you have a line up of great actors who may not look PRETTY but they sure can act well!

By the way, even though we donated MANY movies and shows to our library, we did watch one of the movies that was mentioned here many times. I watched them over the years back east too. We donated it, TDD, and it was on the boob tube for free the other day. It is repeating over and over again. I always LOVED Lee Marvin and other actors in that movie, The Dirty Dozen, and I thought that he was a FINE ACTOR and a very handsome man.

Lee was in M SQUAD and many other fine films and shows. Once in a blue moon, Lee M. was on the Johnny Carson show and those guys were great together! Witty, funny, serious and down right COOL.

I thought that when Lee was older with his silver hair that he was a hunk a roo ni as an older man too. His silver hair reminds me of Clint's silver hair which reminds me of my silver haired late husband. Straight short hair.

Blond hair that turned silver at a younger age.

He served his country too.

I don't love Wiki but here you go.

Military service
World War II
Marvin left school at 18 to enlist in the United States Marine Corps Reserve on August 12, 1942. He served with the 4th Marine Division in the Pacific Theater during World War II.[8] While serving as a member of "I" Company, 3rd Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division, he was wounded in action on June 18, 1944, during the assault on Mount Tapochau in the Battle of Saipan, during which most of his company were casualties.[9] He was hit by machine gun fire, which severed his sciatic nerve,[10] and then was hit again in the foot by a sniper.[11] After over a year of medical treatment in naval hospitals, Marvin was given a medical discharge with the rank of private first class (he had been a corporal years earlier but had been demoted after causing trouble)[11] in 1945 Philadelphia.[12]
Marvin's military awards include: the Purple Heart Medal, the Presidential Unit Citation, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal, Combat Action Ribbon.[13]

Rest in peace, all of you fine men (And women.) who served your country and, later on, made films and shows that brought so much JOY around the world.

God bless all Veterans and military service people who served our country in war and peace time.

Cate

Think it will suck? I am getting that Pearl Harbor vibe from it. All CGI and action effects with many liberties taken.

what do y'all think?

My husband may buy it when it is reduced or on sale at Walmart or Target just to see another war movie.

I believe that he donated the original one to our library and he may still have Tora, Tora, Tora in our small collection for now.

Cate

I grew up the 1976 version of Midway; Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, Robert Mitchum, et al. I'm expecting the 2019 version To be a very hard sell for me. Woody Harrelson? Really?
I remember seeing it when it first ran (was 12)
Guess the new version will be PC, not what the real world was or is.
Won't see it until maybe next years when they run it for Vet's day on TBS or TCM

Recently CRAPcast took TCM away from our $200.00/month TV, land line and internet package. :mad: They move it in to a "Sports Package. Dirt bags.

via Maggies Farm -

At Rotten Tomatoes, yesterday, of course the effete critics gave it a grade in the low twenties. The audiences gave it a 91%. Perhaps reacting/catering to the overwhelming support by audiences, today the critics are up to 41%, the audiences to 92%. I think you know who actually serves and cares.

1573493810181.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads