JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those who have served and used this stuff, is any of it worth buying?

The prices on vests, tents, bags, and pouches are much less than well known commercial brands.

Are they just heavier? Or crappier? Or actually a good deal.
Prices are about the same as other online surplus stores, Amazon, and Ebay. Most are from Specialty Defense/SDS/Specialty Plastics products/BaE Systems; some may be from Eagle Industries, Bianchi, Safariland, may have other companies stuff, but these are generally heavier than most outdoors brands.

One caveat, you may be getting torn/abused/beat to hell equipment, or you may get lightly used. Its a 50/50 tossup.

They are rather durable, as far as gear goes.

Milspec anything normally means quality & durability, at the expense of weight.

As @CamoDeafie mentions, military surplus can be hit or miss.

Midway, however, is reasonably reliable in how they grade (1,2,3).

Sportsmans guide is another decent milsurp supplier, however there grading is lacking compared to Midway (IMO), so one needs to do more diligence, checking reviews more in-depth etc.

As a crossover to civilian use, one would be far better served setting up a trekking kit from hiking outfitter gear. New or second hand, than using mil-surplus kit. From a weight standpoint. As a way oversimplified single example.

Crossover to the shooting sports. One would be far better served setting up a battle belt, vest/whathave you using commercial (non-military surplus) gear. Just from the weight, ease of access and speed of access standpoints. Again, another oversimplified example.

Now, all that said, some mil surplus stuff is simply fantastic and an excellent value. Normally where the weight doesn't matter, and one simply wants the durability.

Honestly depends upon what you want out of it.

Last Edited:
Thanks!

Was thinking more along the lines of a backup stashed in the shed, or car gear.

As an example, I was specifically looking at the load bearing vest. I just picked up a chest rig fron Tactical tailor, of sale for like $30, compared to the $150 MSRP was a great deal, but I don't see what it does better than the $25 one on midway.

Also I always hear great things about the "poncho" and "poncho liner"

Seems like a cheap durable backpack would be great for a GHB in the truck, and I wouldn't be out $$$ if it got stolen.

Thanks!

As an example, I was specifically looking at the load bearing vest. I just picked up a chest rig fron Tactical tailor, of sale for like $30, compared to the $150 MSRP was a great deal, but I don't see what it does better than the $25 one on midway.

Seems like a cheap durable backpack would be great for a GHB in the truck, and I wouldn't be out $$$ if it got stolen.
I have some gear for sale, just PM me. I have two MOLLE rucksacks in woodland.

Depending on your size, a chest rig like Tactical Tailor's would be better than the USGI "FLC" vests, because the FLC doesn't really fit big dudes correctly. Yes the belt portion does adjust out for big dudes, but the torso length doesn't adjust much... because of the fixed height of the front of vest with the sewn "drag handle" on the back.. so the wider the girth, the higher the whole thing rides to the point of being basically a chest rig thats not always comfortable. Not me but an example, just FLC on t shirt on a big dude
rig4.jpg rig1.jpg

Compare to chest rig with plate carrier
abs10.jpg

Or belt kit (UK style)
IMG_3712.jpg

Perhaps a call/discussion to Midway would be of benefit?

Larry Potterfield seems like a quality guy who'd want his employees to be honest about what they sell...maybe.

Thanks!

Did you get the rig online or at their store?

I'd say most look pretty genuine to what I was issued.

Just make sure its got that OD green tag (sometimes tan depending on camo pattern) or says US GOV on it to confirm authentic. If you see white tags on the inner liners of anything then you've been ripped off by repro chinese knock off.

Def grab the poncho liner, those things are legit. If you can get the whole sleep set liner/mummy/shell and a compression sack then you've got the whole fart sack kit.

Can't go wrong with a FLC/LBV either most everything else seems kinda meh. The assault pack would be the only other thing I'd would get.

I have some gear for sale, just PM me. I have two MOLLE rucksacks in woodland.

Depending on your size, a chest rig like Tactical Tailor's would be better than the USGI "FLC" vests, because the FLC doesn't really fit big dudes correctly. Yes the belt portion does adjust out for big dudes, but the torso length doesn't adjust much... because of the fixed height of the front of vest with the sewn "drag handle" on the back.. so the wider the girth, the higher the whole thing rides to the point of being basically a chest rig thats not always comfortable. Not me but an example, just FLC on t shirt on a big dude
View attachment 651275View attachment 651276

Compare to chest rig with plate carrier
View attachment 651277

Or belt kit (UK style)
View attachment 651278

Wow that UK belt kit looks horrible!

I am 5'10 165#s. I don't "need" anything particular but I am always looking!

Wow that UK belt kit looks horrible!

I am 5'10 165#s. I don't "need" anything particular but I am always looking!
The UK method is a holdover from the PLCE system days in which the soldier is expected to put almost everything on their belt plus their bergen rucksacks. However most of the time they have the pouches occupying the belt from 3 o clock to the 9 o clock, someimes 2 o clock to 10 o clock, leaving most of the front bare, easier to get down and low to ground. Depending on the size of the dude, it can be as few as 6 to 9 magazines, 2 water bottles and 1 GP pouch with FAK and other items, to as many as 12 mags, 2 bottles, 2-3GP pouches holding FAK, shemagh, basha, and other items.

The brit belt kit is quite bulky compared to the U.S. battle belts and chest rigs/plate carrier rigs.

what colors are ya looking at? I have these, if @Taco_lean 's friend doesnt want the PCs.
DBT/BDS rig fits Large SAPI plates I believe, the green custom rig won't come with pouches or the wife shown; but fits 9x12 or 10x12 plates, may be tight fit if plates are more than 1" thick.
I do also have a custom split front chest rig that I made long ago that utilizes IDF style paracord pull spring cam buckles.

I also have a complete Coyote brown FLC with 2 IFAK pouches and 3 SDS MOLLE II style double mag pockets.... DSCF2081.JPG DSCF2082.JPG DSCF2083.JPG DSCF2090.JPG 20170807_172019.jpg 20170807_172033.jpg 20170807_172147.jpg 20170807_172201.jpg 20170809_140745.jpg 20170809_140750.jpg 20170809_140800.jpg

what colors are ya looking at? I have these, if @Taco_lean 's friend doesnt want the PCs.
DBT/BDS rig fits Large SAPI plates I believe, the green custom rig won't come with pouches or the wife shown; but fits 9x12 or 10x12 plates, may be tight fit if plates are more than 1" thick.
I do also have a custom split front chest rig that I made long ago that utilizes IDF style paracord pull spring cam buckles.

I also have a complete Coyote brown FLC with 2 IFAK pouches and 3 SDS MOLLE II style double mag pockets.... View attachment 651378View attachment 651379View attachment 651380View attachment 651381View attachment 651382View attachment 651383View attachment 651384View attachment 651385View attachment 651386View attachment 651387View attachment 651388
DBT rig is up my alley. The Coyote FLC as well. How much for each? Dm me

I have one of the vests but I don't recall exactly where I got it... probably Midway or Sportsman's Whse. Either way it's genuine and beats the hell out of anything similar from China like NCStar or Condor.
I'm not so interested in chest rigs, I have rifle and pistol mag carriers on the vest and also the belt since there are times "in garrison" that I don't want or need full battle rattle. The vest also carries a K-Bar tanto and a back up pistol (XDM9 3.8 compact. The belt has mags, a dump pouch, FAK, one or two canteens (depending), a small nylon pouch (with a .40 barrel, 18#spring, and solid guide rod) and my main handgun (XDM9 4.5).
Still looking for a suitable holster for the big M. The Bianchi UM85 is too narrow for the XDM requiring a two-handed or awkward one handed draw. Always open to suggestions for a compatible holster.A Camelback would free up some space on the belt and bring the whole rig into the 21st century. There's still room on the vest. Most of the web gear is milsurp. Some came new or "as new". The only exceptions are a couple of pieces from Eagle Ind and Tactical Tailor.

Poncho and liner are good investments. I use a liner inside my sleeping bag ALL the time. If I get too hot I can unzip the bag for some air without freezing.

A military compass is good to have too. You can spend more $$ but it's a tough little gizmo that'd be hard to improve on.

And don't forget your P-38.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews