JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was actually wearing gloves though rather thin.

And I guess I should have googled - it's actually a "thing": https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/finger-damage-from-lever.426505/.

But I think it's important to raise awareness around this important issue and bring it out in the open. I'm proposing Februari 5th as "National Lever Middle Finger Awareness Day"

And it might get worse:
1675969868301.png

I know I often suffer from eye problems after NOT shooting for awhile…. Got to call in sick at times.
Cough cough cough…
"Yeah boss; something wrong with my eyes…;" : "what do you think it is?"… :" I don't know, I just can't SEE myself coming into work today."
You know it could also be a leg problem, just can't stand being at work today...

As person who broke his trigger finger in a freak snorkling accident and has a free floating piece of bone near the first joint below the nail, finger pain and placement is a real issue to deal with.

To our rescue comes the Internet with "real" solutions. ;)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I encourage you, OP, to find real solutions. Stay away from doctors who will want to cut your finger off!

Surprised no one has said the obvious…

Clearly 45-70 is too much for you ;)
I'll readily admit, I think 45-70 is getting to be too much for me anymore.

I was just shooting mine a few days ago, a break-open H&R, with moderately heavy 450gr loads. Ten rounds and I was DONE. I just don't enjoy the pain like I used to.

I'll readily admit, I think 45-70 is getting to be too much for me anymore.

I was just shooting mine a few days ago, a break-open H&R, with moderately heavy 450gr loads. Ten rounds and I was DONE. I just don't enjoy the pain like I used to.
Yeah, shoving that heavy bullet quickly has it's opposite reaction that can be pretty punishing, especially after a handful of rounds. I shot a lot of 405s and a bunch of 500s. None of my friends ever shot it more than once, but I'd gotten fairly comfortable with it in spite of it's crescent butt plate. If I wasn't careful, the toe would be out too far and it would wack my bicep. A couple of those in a session and it would look like a doe stepped on me.
But running a 405gr at 1200fps, it was more like a trap 12 gauge. Just a big ol push.

My 16yo son shot it a few times. I was impressed; he used to be really recoil shy. I guess he's growing up. :)

A few years back I let a couple of teenage nephews shoot it. Between them they went through about 50 rounds of 450 and 500gr slugs loaded to about the maximum for that H&R action. In my experience, teenage boys like to feel tough, and big guns that beat the bubblegum out of your shoulder make you feel tough. To be young again... :)

I did load up a box of 350gr bullets using 13gr of Unique- a very mild load that tames the 45-70 down nicely. I didn't bring them along the other day, but it's easy to go through a bunch of those. Cartridges like 45-70 make bullet casting and reloading worthwhile. I can't imagine shooting up that much factory ammo at what it costs these days.

That was the only time I got to try a 45-70… friend at the range, he had made up some "cowboy" loads. Really easy to shoot those competition rnds. Maybe that's why I consider him friend.

As I get older hand pain and arthritis is definitely an issue when shooting. I used my hands a lot for work in life and the pain started awhile ago, I take some medicine for it and it does help. I use a hand brace and gloves when I shoot and that also helps.

Gregory

Last Edited:
A possible method to reduce the impact might be to pull the rifle back into your shoulder with your thumb, middle, ring and little finger, leaving your index finger slack for trigger duty. This would pull your middle finger away from the front edge of the lever loop.

Good news - finger outside the loop works. It took a lil while to get used to and remember. But now I can greet my fellow drivers properly again

……..…../´¯/)………… (\¯`\
…………/….//……….. …\\….\
………../….//………… ….\\….\
…../´¯/…./´¯\………../¯ `\….\¯`\
.././…/…./…./.|_……_| .\….\….\…\.\..
(.(….(….(…./.)..)..(..(. \….)….)….)… )
.\…………….\/…/….\. ..\/……………./
..\…………….. /……..\……………..…/
….\…………..(…………)……………./

Good news - finger outside the loop works. It took a lil while to get used to and remember. But now I can greet my fellow drivers properly again

……..…../´¯/)………… (\¯`\
…………/….//……….. …\\….\
………../….//………… ….\\….\
…../´¯/…./´¯\………../¯ `\….\¯`\
.././…/…./…./.|_……_| .\….\….\…\.\..
(.(….(….(…./.)..)..(..(. \….)….)….)… )
.\…………….\/…/….\. ..\/……………./
..\…………….. /……..\……………..…/
….\…………..(…………)……………./
Dude! That took an investment in Time!

I applaud your efforts! 🤣

Upcoming Events