JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys, so I just got my bcm upper (with barrel installed) in the mail a few days back (happy!) and I'm having trouble getting the handguard installed on it. this is my first build so I'm probably just doing something wrong.

I can't seem to slide the handguard on. seems its catching on the grove near the barrel nut. do I just need to manhandle the sucker on?

I tried to get some pictures.. but lighting isn't great. Take a look and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 143706 View attachment 143707

C360_2013-04-05-19-42-58.jpg

C360_2013-04-05-19-42-16.jpg

yeah, I had trouble compressing it fully, but had some help.. we got as far as you see in the pic. I just can't get it properly seated. was thinking I was missing something =/

lol a tool would be nice, however... In my extremely limited experience with these.. I'm 100% sure we are compressing it as much as it will compress.

The groove where the barrel nut sits "looks" to be the issue. there is even a little damage on the edge (where the arrows pointing in the pic) where I'm trying to mash the sucker on. I've read a few posts on other sites that mention maybe the nut isnt tightened enough? I got it from BCM so I'm assuming they installed it just fine, that the problem is with the handguard.
View attachment 143701

bleh, maybe I just need to grind that ridge down some?

What might be beneficial would be to take the barrel nut off (or find another just like yours) and see if it will fit in the groove when both handguard halves are fitted together. You may have a groove that's out of spec or a "dinged" nut that won't fit.

As for a handguard tool, they're just about required equipment for any AR owner. Makes it a cinch to remove the handguard to clean up all the soot that tends to accumulate over time under it.

Hey nosmoking I'm in Eugene. Send me a message if want. I'll have to find it but I have a HG tool here somewhere and could come check it out. Some handguards/delta rings are just simply a huge PITA to get on. I've had some that were kid friendly drop in, and others that even with the tool I felt like tracking down my AR's parents and beating them for raising such a naughty thing.

If you haven't got it yet another option if you have a rubber mallet; Get the handguard to the point it hangs up and provided it's VERY close to seating you can give it some LIGHT taps with the mallet. I've had a couple where the delta ring/handguard were very tight and even using the tool would still not quite fully seat without a lat tap.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top