Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

mid length handguard problem

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by NoSmoking, Apr 5, 2013.

1. NoSmoking

NoSmoking Springfield Member

hey guys, so I just got my bcm upper (with barrel installed) in the mail a few days back (happy!) and I'm having trouble getting the handguard installed on it. this is my first build so I'm probably just doing something wrong.

I can't seem to slide the handguard on. seems its catching on the grove near the barrel nut. do I just need to manhandle the sucker on?

I tried to get some pictures.. but lighting isn't great. Take a look and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

C360_2013-04-05-19-42-16.jpg C360_2013-04-05-19-42-58.jpg

C360_2013-04-05-19-42-58.jpg

C360_2013-04-05-19-42-16.jpg

2. ridnjon

ridnjon vancouver wa Active Member

Fully compress the delta ring and make sure your all the way forward

3. NoSmoking

yeah, I had trouble compressing it fully, but had some help.. we got as far as you see in the pic. I just can't get it properly seated. was thinking I was missing something =/

4. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Yah that delta ring needs to be compressed all the way, and as evenly as possible. Just a little crooked and your seeing what will happen.

5. ridnjon

If you were closer I would lend you my tool.

6. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

At least buy him dinner first :laugh:

7. ridnjon

If I gave him my tool I want dinner first! Lol

8. NoSmoking

lol a tool would be nice, however... In my extremely limited experience with these.. I'm 100% sure we are compressing it as much as it will compress.

The groove where the barrel nut sits "looks" to be the issue. there is even a little damage on the edge (where the arrows pointing in the pic) where I'm trying to mash the sucker on. I've read a few posts on other sites that mention maybe the nut isnt tightened enough? I got it from BCM so I'm assuming they installed it just fine, that the problem is with the handguard.
    photo.jpg

bleh, maybe I just need to grind that ridge down some?

9. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

What might be beneficial would be to take the barrel nut off (or find another just like yours) and see if it will fit in the groove when both handguard halves are fitted together. You may have a groove that's out of spec or a "dinged" nut that won't fit.

As for a handguard tool, they're just about required equipment for any AR owner. Makes it a cinch to remove the handguard to clean up all the soot that tends to accumulate over time under it.

10. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Hey nosmoking I'm in Eugene. Send me a message if want. I'll have to find it but I have a HG tool here somewhere and could come check it out. Some handguards/delta rings are just simply a huge PITA to get on. I've had some that were kid friendly drop in, and others that even with the tool I felt like tracking down my AR's parents and beating them for raising such a naughty thing.

11. iamme

Oh and I should have some LMT takeoff handguards here just to make sure there's not something off with those HG's.

12. akmewon

akmewon clackamas Active Member

one thing you can try for that delta ring is use some channel lock pliars but not the teeth side use the handle side to squeeze the delta ring and push it down that way like this Removing an AR15 hand guard - YouTube

13. NoSmoking

lol, yeah thats exactly what we were using.

thanks iamme. I might have to take you up on that offer

14. iamme

If you haven't got it yet another option if you have a rubber mallet; Get the handguard to the point it hangs up and provided it's VERY close to seating you can give it some LIGHT taps with the mallet. I've had a couple where the delta ring/handguard were very tight and even using the tool would still not quite fully seat without a lat tap.