JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a carbine length 16" barrel AR15 which has an M4 profile barrel. I'd like to make this into a mid length rifle. I don't have the parts as yet, and was wondering if there would be any issues that I might encounter. I'm wondering if, because the barrel is of the M4 profile variety, that there will be space to fit a mid length gas tube.

Thanks in advance.

That was my intention yes. I was wanting to move the gas block forward.
So you want to weld the rear gas hole shut and drill one in the front?
It would be cheaper to buy another barrel.
Why change it if it works now? You can get a low profile gas block and put different fore grips on it.
I don't know of any advantage to a mid length gas system over the carbine.I believe it's just logistics that puts the holes where they are
Anyone?

Sell what you have and buy the mid-length upper you want.

Bravo Co. Has been giving complete bolt/carrier groups with a purchase of their uppers. They have a couple different mid-length uppers and their gear is first rate.

One more thing. Is having barrels in 1:7 and 1:9 going to affect my shooting much, and do I really need to use heavier ammo in a 1:7 barrel.

One more thing. Is having barrels in 1:7 and 1:9 going to affect my shooting much, and do I really need to use heavier ammo in a 1:7 barrel.
It is not going to affect your shooting at all. The only time your barrel twist is ever going to matter is if you're shooting extremely lightweight or extremely heavy bullets; for instance my old 80gr Sierra HPBT match loads work better in a 1:7 twist tube than a 1:9, but they still shot out of a 1:9. For everything you're going to get at Bi-Mart or wherever that is 50gr, 55gr, 62gr, 69gr or whatever will shoot in either. Don't over think it, just get the good kit and get out and shoot it.

Thanks. Do you have any experience with PTAC uppers? I'm wondering about quality on a $199 upper.
No, I don't. I usually drink the Kool Aid and buy Colt. LMT and BCM are only current exceptions. I'd be buying one of those BCM mid-length uppers right now if they were in stock. The deal they're running with a bolt/carrier added at no cost is simply amazing.

Edit to add: took a look at their website... keep in mind, you get what you pay for. The barrel on an AR is the most expensive part to manufacture. $199 for a barreled upper seems too cheap, but like mentioned, I drink the Kool Aid.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads