Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mid length AR15

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by gabberwocky, Aug 24, 2014.

1. gabberwocky

gabberwocky Member

I have a carbine length 16" barrel AR15 which has an M4 profile barrel. I'd like to make this into a mid length rifle. I don't have the parts as yet, and was wondering if there would be any issues that I might encounter. I'm wondering if, because the barrel is of the M4 profile variety, that there will be space to fit a mid length gas tube.

Thanks in advance.

2. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

You mean to say you want to use the same barrel that is drilled for a carbine length gas system?
    If not you'll have to buy a new barrel

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. gabberwocky

gabberwocky Member

That was my intention yes. I was wanting to move the gas block forward.

4. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Honestly do not think "moving" the gas port is very practical. Better off IMO buying a mid barrel, and tube.

5. gabberwocky

gabberwocky Member

Okay. But building a mid length rifle on a 16" barrel is otherwise fine.

6. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Yup.

7. gabberwocky

gabberwocky Member

Thanks for the information.

8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Sell the upper and use the funds to buy another.

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

So you want to weld the rear gas hole shut and drill one in the front?
    It would be cheaper to buy another barrel.
    Why change it if it works now? You can get a low profile gas block and put different fore grips on it.
    I don't know of any advantage to a mid length gas system over the carbine.I believe it's just logistics that puts the holes where they are
    Anyone?

10. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

but like others said, just build new upper or new barrel. they are not expensive anymore.

11. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

Sell what you have and buy the mid-length upper you want.

Bravo Co. Has been giving complete bolt/carrier groups with a purchase of their uppers. They have a couple different mid-length uppers and their gear is first rate.

12. gabberwocky

gabberwocky Member

One more thing. Is having barrels in 1:7 and 1:9 going to affect my shooting much, and do I really need to use heavier ammo in a 1:7 barrel.

13. ch139

It is not going to affect your shooting at all. The only time your barrel twist is ever going to matter is if you're shooting extremely lightweight or extremely heavy bullets; for instance my old 80gr Sierra HPBT match loads work better in a 1:7 twist tube than a 1:9, but they still shot out of a 1:9. For everything you're going to get at Bi-Mart or wherever that is 50gr, 55gr, 62gr, 69gr or whatever will shoot in either. Don't over think it, just get the good kit and get out and shoot it.

14. gabberwocky

gabberwocky Member

Thanks. Do you have any experience with PTAC uppers? I'm wondering about quality on a $199 upper.

15. ch139

No, I don't. I usually drink the Kool Aid and buy Colt. LMT and BCM are only current exceptions. I'd be buying one of those BCM mid-length uppers right now if they were in stock. The deal they're running with a bolt/carrier added at no cost is simply amazing.

Edit to add: took a look at their website... keep in mind, you get what you pay for. The barrel on an AR is the most expensive part to manufacture. $199 for a barreled upper seems too cheap, but like mentioned, I drink the Kool Aid.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014