JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What OP should take away is that there are multiple ways to get good precision ammunition if you think it through and keep track of the experiments.

Remember that precision comes from repeatability and methodical work.

Want to shoot really tight groups? Check everything all the time and don't cut corners while reloading to save time.

Is Forester a step above Redding?
I prefer Forster at least in regards to their micrometer seating die. Not sure if say it's a step above, but IMO say they're equal in quality.

Not that you'd need it, but the Forster micrometer seating die can be dialed in closer in degrees of seating depth more easily.

Personally I see micrometer dies as something for two types of people:

1. Serious competitors who have honed the skills to be the best, and need the most precise equipment.

2. People who are really anal and must have the very best whether they need it or not. (you know who you are) :)

For the vast majority of the rest of us, a decent quality set of regular dies works perfectly fine.

Is Forester a step above Redding?
Both high quality. RCBS Gold Medal Match are superb too.
Any of those are a step above Hornady or Lee, but you can make perfect ammo with *any* of those brands. It's your technique that makes all the difference.
Personally I see micrometer dies as something for two types of people:
I would fit in the third group - needing seating dies and micrometer type were the only ones available at the time.
Anyone who can turn a screw and use calipers properly can crank out exact dimensions. The micrometer certainly makes it easier.

What I ended up with are my original rcbs basic 308 dies and now added Redding Master Hunter Competition Die (Micrometer). New start with new 300 win mag RCBS Match Master FL die set. I think this is about $300.00 total. Any other ideas on how to improve accuracy? Rifles are Weatherby Vanguard S 2 variants.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top