Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Microcoding Firing Pins

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Weathermaker, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Weathermaker

Weathermaker Washington Member

Talking to a friend a couple days ago...he says, "The Feds have passed reguirement that all firing pins have to be mircocoded starting sometime in 2010."

I told him that it has been discussed, but there is no such requirement on the books yet.

Anyone out there that can confirm one way or another? :huh:

Thanks....

2. Dutchy556

Dutchy556 Bend, OR Member

Bunch of BS..

Legislation introduced at the state level in various states (including your own) but none of it has passed.

I forget if HR 45 has microstamping in it but in any case that is, as far as I know, still DOA in committee...

3. OreGunSun

OreGunSun PDX/Clackamas Member

Doesn't seem like it would be super effective - as it would only apply to new manufactured firearms ( most likely Handguns) .

Seems like a replacement firing pin - or even a simple file or wear would render the microcoding ineffective - ( but it would make replacement firing pins expensive.

I think that Ammo - restrictions or reloading or other ammo avenues would be far more effective in constraining and controlling legal owners. ( Micro-coding is not going to stop the criminal.) What happens if a criminal uses a Revolver -or polices up their brass?

4. Abe Froman

Abe Froman West of Salem Active Member

I have heard of talk of doing that, but I believe it was incredibly useless. One person took an old pocket knife and scratched the numbers off in a test and the weapon still fired.