Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

micro-groove rifling and barrel life

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by country boy, Nov 24, 2009.

1. country boy

country boy portland area Member

Hey everybody, I was just wondering if anyone on here happened to know if there is any difference in barrel life between a .22 with micro-groove rifling and a .22 with standard rifling. Reason being, I am considering getting a Marlin model 981t, but I don't want to get one if it will have significantly reduced barrel life.

Thanks,
    cb

2. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

the barrel life of any 22, with proper maintanance, will out live its owner. cleaning of the barrel often does more damage than shooting.

3. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

+1:thumbup:

4. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

I have a 1968 Marline 39 Golden Mountie... it still shoot as good today as when the rifle was new (at least new to me I was 8 when and that way 1973) I don't think you can wear one out with normal shooting and cleaning.

5. T-Steve

T-Steve Beaverton, OR New Member

CB,
    I've got a Marlin 60 made in about 1968, inherited from my grandfather in about 1985. I clean it about every 500 rounds just because I feel like I should. It shoots as good or better now than it did in 1985. I estimate at least 10,000 rounds are through it.
    -Steve

6. country boy

I know that is true for standard rifling at least (I have an early 1900s remington .22 that still shoots great, and my father has three others from the mid 1900s that shoot even better), I was just wondering if the smaller rifling groovs would wear out faster, but after reading T-Steve's and techieguy's posts it seems the answer is no.

Thanks,
    cb

7. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

+1. If not maintained, they will rust before they wear out. I've seen lots more rust damage than wear damage to any .22 even if it's 100 years old.

8. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

The Marlin micro-groove barrels are great. My dad has one that he bought when he was 15 I think, and it shoots fantastic. Lead is a lot softer than steel, so you're going to lead it out before you're going to shoot it out.

The 981T is a great rifle. I want an older model with the wood stock. The new synthetic ones just don't feel right.

9. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

thats why i said any 22 barrel. just keep metal bore brushes away from it, and keep a light coat of oil in it between uses, and your grandkids will be amazed about how accurate grandpa's old rifle is.

10. country boy

Oh, ok. Didn't see that

cb