JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A psychiatrist recently commented to me how the internet andsocial media has created a perfect storm of parental abandonment and unrelenting, instantaneous peer pressure. He said the field was woefully unprepared and there were (two years ago) few studies being done and absolutely nothing in peer literature.

This:
Facebook knows Instagram is bad for teenagers' mental health. Instagram makes teen girls feel worse about themselves, Facebook internal researchers reportedly found. Those findings were consistent. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...is-bad-for-teenagers-mental-health/ar-AAOqXFK

I honestly don't have a problem holding parents criminally responsible for things like this their spawn commit. If you decide to have a f**k trophy, you should be forced to be responsible for them fully until they're legal adults. Being an irresponsible breeder should have consequences.
How a kid turns out is a combination of genes and environment and the interaction between them. Parents don't control the genetic combination other than choosing to reproduce at all. And they actually control only a small part of the kids environment. To make parents completely responsible for their kid is to make them responsible for things they may have had no control over.

Some parents neglect or abuse a child or give him no guidelines and establish no consequences for bad behavior, and the kid turns out fine anyway. Other parents seem to do everything right and the kid turns into a mass murderer anyway.

Holding parents responsible for everything their children do isn't reasonable. However, holding parents responsible for certain things, such as keeping their own guns out of the hands of their children certainly is reasonable.

You get the best news from foreign sources.

I was going to put that up with some other international news but I watched an OLD movie instead.

One or more of the online papers discusses his older brother who MOVED OUT due to the stepmother.

Cate

Last Edited:
Summary of press conference:
Looks like both parents each got charged with 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter.
It would seem that they stored the gun loaded and unlocked in a nightstand drawer in their bedroom.
The mother texted the shooter and told him "Ethan, don't do it."
The father reported the gun stolen that afternoon, shortly after the shooting, and told LE that he believed his son was the shooter.

Questions from the media begin at about the 8:50 mark, and I quit watching shortly thereafter.

Last Edited:
What I find odd are not only the events the morning of the shooting but what took place when the parents came to the school and why they left without him. With regard to all the 'red flags' I am surprised the school did not do more such as insist the parents take him home, or detain him until the parents could return to pick him up. Instead they just returned him to class.

Also why was the backpack not searched by either the parents or school authorities?

Also why was the backpack not searched by either the parents or school authorities?
That one right there! The administration had already seen his drawing showing that he was going to kill students, as well as the statement on said drawing confirming same. How his backpack was not searched and how he was sent back to class simply boggles the mind of any thinking person.

What I find odd are not only the events the morning of the shooting but what took place when the parents came to the school and why they left without him. With regard to all the 'red flags' I am surprised the school did not do more such as insist the parents take him home, or detain him until the parents could return to pick him up. Instead they just returned him to class.

It's pretty much impossible to force a guardian to take a child from school. Turning a kid out of school without knowing who they're going with, or just sending them out alone, is against school policy.

I imagine at that point all the school had was the drawing and internet search. Don't think they knew the parents had bought the gun, or that they'd bought it for the student.

So, I doubt they thought they had "reasonable suspicion" to search him. That's the legal standard. Even if they did staff are often hesitant to search without the kid's permission. Opens the school up to big liability, and gets into what's "reasonable" which is not really defined so is risky.

Oh, and about going back to class. The only other option is in school detention. That depends on policy, space and staff available. IME for things that don't directly disrupt a class (eg, a drawing) they're just sent back to class.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads