JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bill and Jill Johnson were asked by the state of Michigan to consider becoming foster parents for their grandchild after the state ruled his mother was incompetent to raise the child. Bill Johnson has had a concealed weapons permit for the last 10 years and has carried for personal protection ever since. So when the social worker told him that, as a condition of caring for the grandchild, he would have to provide the state with a list of the serial numbers of all of his firearms, Johnson resisted. A heated discussion ended when the social worker told Johnson, "You are going to have to give up some constitutional rights here if you want to keep that boy."

The Johnsons took their case to court where, two weeks later, the judge sided with the state: "We know we are violating numerous constitutional rights here, but if you do not comply, we will remove the boy from your home."

Michigan Foster Parents' Conundrum: Give Up Gun Rights or Give Up Child

According to the article, SAF is taking this up as a lawsuit. I hope they can not only win, but set a precedent for foster and adoptive families across the country that you don't surrender your constitutional rights when you become a foster/adoptive parent. This is the same level of BS the public schools are trying to pull with parent's rights over their own children during school hours and even after hours. The government and those that support more government don't want you to have control - they want it all for themselves. That so many people are actually okay with this is shocking and disheartening.

If this were me, I'd temporarily give the guns to a trusted relative, make sure I had custody of the child, then get someone like SAF or the ACLJ take my case and sue the living crap out of the state. Heck if I was in a state without a stupid law like SB941, I'd probably keep at least a gun or two with a trusted neighbor, so they're at least a little closer at hand.

As immediate family, they have a right to custody of that boy anyway. There's got to be laws on the books somewhere protecting "family lines" when there are surviving blood relatives.

Those in the legal system are adroit at "blustering" towards the uneducated with intimidation in order to get their way. I say google the sheite out of those state laws and feed 'em the appropriate sheite sandwich.

That judge appears to be ON THE RECORD acknowledging they are violating Constitutional rights.... stomp down on the accelerator Chester, don't stop until you hear the plate glass breaking!

:mad:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads