JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it is pretty clear at this point he new he was in trouble, and was trying to egress. Live to fight another day, and all that.
I want to hear the answer from the naysayers... you now the ones here that carry guns for self defense.

having seen most ( if not all released video) of this, I would say he did have a legit fear of being beaten or otherwise injured during his retreat. Given his past experiences with this group where that one guy broke his arm, and the courts refused to prosecute due to that thugs relationship with a person in power, Mike had reason to go armed to do what he believed in, and thought right! We arm chair generals were not there, we didn't have the sense or feel for the situation on the ground right in front of mike, and further more, none of the video that was released shows the bigger crowd just outside the narrow view of that close situation, not can any of us hear things ( threats) made during all this! Sure, some can say he put him self at risk, and some would say going in armed to a situation likely to get hot isn't a smart idea, but stepping back a little and looking at the what and the why he was there so armed, gives a pretty good picture what is in store for US down the road in the near future dealing with these people! Where were the cops during all this? and more importantly, Why did they act the way they did and not take action against the protesters? This was by design, as set up to get mike to react as they knew he would, and take him out of the picture because MIKE WAS A THREAT, EXPOSING THEM FOR WHO AND WHAT THEY REALLY ARE!!! That's all this really boils down to, and he will see no justice here! Say what you will about him, but do not call him stupid for putting him self at risk to expose the truth. And do not judge him for drawing a gun in defense of his life!!!

idk IMO i just keep asking myself... "why would anyone go to an angry crowd of people on purpose?" i just wonder, if he had just stayed home he'd be out of this mess. thats just me, i do not like to be around big crowds.

"Excuse me while I whip this out!"

He shoulda pulled his gun out instead and he would have got off scott free as long as it was an act of self expression. There already been a precident set for that...

Who wants to tackle or assault a guy wiping his manhood around?

"why would anyone go to an angry crowd of people on purpose?"

It's a calling. I guess you could also ask why Martin Luther King did what he did. Mike was dedicated to his calling, and for that, and that alone, I respect him.

And NO. I am not trying to compare this to that. What have you fought for?

It was not the jury who convicted him. During questioning of the prospective jurors, many of them expressed negative views of firearms so his atty withdrew the request for a jury trial and asked to judge to rule. And she wacked him on all counts.

Damn right! Myself its the Seasame beef, pork fried rice like no other, the Garlic sauteed Gean Beans are worth the trip alone! The great Wait staff, Tina is awesome! Been going there since the 90s. They were open 24hrs at one point always had great hours of business for we late night diners.

idk IMO i just keep asking myself... "why would anyone go to an angry crowd of people on purpose?" i just wonder, if he had just stayed home he'd be out of this mess. thats just me, i do not like to be around big crowds.

there is a couple of things to point out here 1) anyone here can get caught up in a violent protest. 2) there is a bigger picture to this story that Ura-Ki nailed on the head we should read his post many times and let it sink in.

having seen most ( if not all released video) of this, I would say he did have a legit fear of being beaten or otherwise injured during his retreat. Given his past experiences with this group where that one guy broke his arm, and the courts refused to prosecute due to that thugs relationship with a person in power, Mike had reason to go armed to do what he believed in, and thought right! We arm chair generals were not there, we didn't have the sense or feel for the situation on the ground right in front of mike, and further more, none of the video that was released shows the bigger crowd just outside the narrow view of that close situation, not can any of us hear things ( threats) made during all this! Sure, some can say he put him self at risk, and some would say going in armed to a situation likely to get hot isn't a smart idea, but stepping back a little and looking at the what and the why he was there so armed, gives a pretty good picture what is in store for US down the road in the near future dealing with these people! Where were the cops during all this? and more importantly, Why did they act the way they did and not take action against the protesters? This was by design, as set up to get mike to react as they knew he would, and take him out of the picture because MIKE WAS A THREAT, EXPOSING THEM FOR WHO AND WHAT THEY REALLY ARE!!! That's all this really boils down to, and he will see no justice here! Say what you will about him, but do not call him stupid for putting him self at risk to expose the truth. And do not judge him for drawing a gun in defense of his life!!!

Damn right! Myself its the Seasame beef, pork fried rice like no other, the Garlic sauteed Gean Beans are worth the trip alone! The great Wait staff, Tina is awesome! Been going there since the 90s. They were open 24hrs at one point always had great hours of business for we late night diners.
Is that the one that looks like Sgt. Carter on Gomer Pyle?

I do agree with ura-ki in what seems like a conspiracy. Something I felt from the get go with the trouble Mike got himself into. Notice I'm still saying got himself into.

Look guys the reality is still this: video evidence doesn't show, as ors defines or what I remember from my carry class, that he needed to draw. The force he replied with was not equal to what appeared to be troubling him. As someone who's trying to make my career goals in hand to hand sports, I had it already ingrained into me I can be screwed if I defend myself but go to far. Go beyond making an attacker stop. I have to be actively trying to avoid conflict. It's the same with my chl. My emotions can't get the better of me. Even if you feel threatened, the state only views this issue one way. They only see a guy who had a way out, wasn't in a last resort option, and chose to escalate this. Doesn't matter how we feel. It's gotta be text book defense to survive this crazy world.

I want to point out for a minute what this story means to all the Stricklands naysayers here that carry guns for self defense. Put aside for a minute if he was justified or not in drawing his gun or if he asked for it by being there... put all that aside for a minute.

this is a case law that sets precedence that means that drawing a gun in self defense is illegal. It also means that you don't get a fair trial by jury in Portland on the matter if you do. There is a legal precedence that says if you aren't justified in shooting you aren't justified in drawing, but you guys gotta remember that if you draw your gun and the threat backs off, you no longer have a right to shoot them. Thats exactly why Strickland re-holstered his gun. Strickland never got a fair trial to prove that he had a right to draw, his anti-gun jury was nullified and the case decided upon solely by the judge

and we all know how Portland judges feel about guns.

Look guys the reality is still this: video evidence doesn't show, as ors defines or what I remember from my carry class, that he needed to draw. The force he replied with was not equal to what appeared to be troubling him.
Have you heard of whats called a large disparity of force?

As someone who's trying to make my career goals in hand to hand sports, I had it already ingrained into me I can be screwed if I defend myself but go to far. Go beyond making an attacker stop. I have to be actively trying to avoid conflict. It's the same with my chl. My emotions can't get the better of me.
agree, this is good and good that you are thinking about this.

They only see a guy who had a way out, wasn't in a last resort option, and chose to escalate this. Doesn't matter how we feel. It's gotta be text book defense to survive this crazy world.
did he really have a way out? Why was he walking backwards when fleeing (ie: trying to get out)? What would cause a guy to not take his eyes off his aggressors?

Have you heard of whats called a large disparity of force?

agree, this is good and good that you are thinking about this.

did he really have a way out? Why was he walking backwards when fleeing (ie: trying to get out)? What would cause a guy to not take his eyes off his aggressors?
Is there an ors that covers disparity of force? I don't recall going over this as is it defending yourself from disability figuratively? I don't recall much on this one. I'll google it.

As far as having a way out, it seems hard to provide proof he didn't. If the judge only looked at the video in the bearing arms news post, then as much as I don't like it, it's not good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top