JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the hat. Anyone recognize where it is from?
I like the hat. Anyone recognize where it is from?

Ал шляпасын каалаган бир кыргызча Ителгини болуп саналат. Аны кийип, сиз дагы анын ордуна бир нерсе бар болчу деп каалайм.

TR. It is a Kyrghyz shamanic wishing hat. When you put it on, you instantly wish you had something else to wear instead.

I took a tour of a Chinese Herbal Doctor's home/office in John Day, Oregon. He practiced there from the late 1800's until about 1950. He fell and broke a hip, was taken to Portland for hospitalization, and never returned. The place was locked up when he left, and is a snapshot in time, down to the mummified fruit on a shrine!

Next to his bed was a cleaver. Chinese were not allowed firearms in the 19th century, and he kept cleavers in various locations for self-defense. Reports claimed that he was very accurate and powerful in throwing the cleavers, and as a result, never had reason to use them in self-defense!

I knew a fellow who had a junk .22 revolver for snakes and kept an axe as a weapon.
BTW a 3/4 size camp axe is a formidable weapon.
My SOG tomahawk slices paper just like a sharp knife.

"Next to his bed was a cleaver. Chinese were not allowed firearms..." Throughout history people have developed techniques to adapt the implements of everyday life to use as weapons.
The main reason straight razors are associated with Black people using them as weapons is they couldn't legally own guns, and such a razor was an everyday implement of manly hygiene. I have used the same straight razor since 1966 (look at all the $ I have saved on blades :D) so I am familiar with them. It would never be my 1st choice for a weapon unless there was nothing else, but the people who typically used them as a weapon could use one quite efficiently.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top