JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's okay to be bigoted against hunters because they hate wolves...or so says one hiker. Click the link to the NW Hikers forum.

Crying wolf: Methow tale suggests balance, not bigotry is answer

A published report in the Methow Valley News about a female deer hunter and her encounter with wolves on a Chelan wilderness ridgeline is raising awareness that the predators are here to stay, and they just might have voracious appetites for venison.

<broken link removed>

At the rate of expansion with wolves, I believe there should be a large number of tags given out. The wolves they count are just a fraction of what is actually out there.

Uhhhh,remember this is not a reintroduction.
These are not our native wolves but the larger Canadian wolves,"introduced" into the area. About 40-50 pounds heavier.
Don't make the story a reintroduction if it's not.You are not helping this any.
Make everybody understand these are bigger wolves being brought in.
Report the truth

"Uhhhh,remember this is not a reintroduction.
These are not our native wolves but the larger Canadian wolves,"introduced" into the area. About 40-50 pounds heavier.
Report the truth

I completely agree. Even more a reason to offer high tag numbers..or wipe them out completely as they are not a native species. That, However, is not going to happen with the extreme environmentalist movement/cult. They have no regard for multiple species. Just the one they focus on. I don't think they understand what kind of damage to other species they have. A great example is the cougar population here in Oregon. A few years ago there were counts of either 3000+ or 6000+ cougars. I can only imagine the number has gone up dramatically. Solid game management is beneficial for all.

Just read about what they have done in India over the years. They will eat what they think they can kill when they are hungry. Children and Women are no exception. Deer populations are very low as it is, so what are they going to eat. Look at how much they move around as well.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/Wolves/images/internet_wolf_map_OR7.jpg I hope it tried to cross I-5.

"In the eastern part of the wolf's range there have been several reports of non-rabid wolf attacks on children. This severe form of conflict reached its peak in eastern Uttar-Pradesh in 1996 when a wolf was found to be responsible for attacks on 76 children (of which over 50 were fatal). Sporadic fatal attacks on children by wolves have been reported in 1997, 1998 and 1999 from other parts of Uttar Pradesh. Our study suggests that in areas where there is high human density (> 600 km2) of low economic status, with little wild prey, and with livestock populations that are heavily guarded, wolves could potentially attack children. Radio-telemetry data from three different regions in western India suggests that wolves come into contact with humans very often. It would be extremely easy for wolves to attack children in these areas."

It's just a matter of time before it happens here. We don't have enough wild prey to support the current populations. Look at all the conflicts with Coyotes and Humans now (mostly pets being eaten). Fast forward 20 years and imagine packs of hungry wolves in our state parks and forests.

<broken link removed>

The sad part about it is they won't even care if children are getting killed by the wolves. They'll still preach protection for the predators. Only until they lose a loved one might they change their minds.

India is kind of a bad example since there are about 10 bil of them walking around. And they don't really mind if the girls get taken.

I don't know the cougar numbers up here on the north coast,but seems like everyone that lives a little ways out of town sees them all the time.And we have them as far north as the coast too.

There have been multiple Cougar and track sightings on the outer edges of Hillsboro, Oregon. We don't want to have the same issue with the wolves! As mjbskwim said in an above posting, these are not native wolves but introduced wolves and therefore should not be on any endangered species list.

"Uhhhh,remember this is not a reintroduction.
Report the truth

I completely agree. Even more a reason to offer high tag numbers..or wipe them out completely as they are not a native species. That, However, is not going to happen with the extreme environmentalist movement/cult. They have no regard for multiple species. Just the one they focus on. I don't think they understand what kind of damage to other species they have. A great example is the cougar population here in Oregon. A few years ago there were counts of either 3000+ or 6000+ cougars. I can only imagine the number has gone up dramatically. Solid game management is beneficial for all.

+1

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top