JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently just started carrying IWB after years of OWB carry. Now that I am doing it, I really can see the benefits of IWB carry. There are some drawbacks as well but the good outweighs the bad.

This made me start to think what are the pros & cons are of the different types of carry with which I have experimented. This thread is to discuss just that topic. I would like to hear everyone's opinions.

I am going to stick with methods of carry I have personal experience with so feel free to add your own methods and to chime in with your own experiences with the methods I do mention. Remember, these are only my own personal experiences with the holsters I have owned.

Inside Waist Band
Pros
-Weapon is held tighter to body without having to tighten belt as much.
-Weapon is easier to conceal inside lighter clothing
-Weapon is less prone to exposure from shirt pulling up
-No belt needed with some holsters
-Easier to remove and store than OWB holsters
-Non obtrusive during daily routine
-Usually lighter than OWB holsters
-Fairly comfortable with right holster (but not as comfortable as OWB)
Cons
-Not as comfortable as OWB
-Can be harder to obtain good grip on weapon when drawing
-Generally more difficult to re-holster drawn weapons than OWB

Outside Waist Band (belt holster)
Pros
-Very comfortable
-Added security features readily available (thumb breaks, etc)
-Extremely easy to draw from
-Extremely easy to re-holster drawn weapon
Cons
-A little more difficult to conceal than IWB (prints more easily)
-More prone to exposing weapon while stretching or bending
-Requires sturdy belt to prevent sagging or stretching
-Can be more cumbersome during daily routine
-Usually heavier than IWB holsters
-Difficult to remove and store quickly

Shoulder Holster
Pros
-Underarm carry reduces printing concern
-Easy to draw from
-Not prone to exposing weapon while bending or stretching
-Does not encumber sitting
-Ideal for suits with light material slacks (not sturdy enough to support holster properly)
Cons
-Generally requires open front jacket to conceal/access easily
-Weight can cause neck/shoulder fatigue
-Somewhat difficult to re-holster drawn weapon
-Very difficult to remove and store

Fanny Pack
Pros
-Extremely easy to carry
-No worries of concealment (does not print or expose)
-Can be worn with anything (gym wear, jogging clothes, etc)
-Does not require belt or jacket (or even pants for that matter)
-Easy to draw from
-Easy to re-holster drawn weapon
-Easily removed and stored
Cons
-Not exactly "stylish"
-Can be obvious to some people
-Makes you look like a lesbian

You forgot ankle carry not exactly easy to grab in certain situations.I ride a bike alot downtown with my girlfriend and alot of situations can make you wanna find a good way to carry and the ankle is perfect on a bike all you have to do is drop your hand.

You forgot ankle carry not exactly easy to grab in certain situations.I ride a bike alot downtown with my girlfriend and alot of situations can make you wanna find a good way to carry and the ankle is perfect on a bike all you have to do is drop your hand.
I do not attempt ankle carry so I cannot speak to it's stengths or weaknesses...but feel free to add your own experiences. :)

For my situation only or others in that situation i never carry there unless on a bike. I dont find it to be a very good everyday location. As far as comfort i think its great i forget its there after a couple minutes. The biggest reason i dont like it is i have a 2 year old neice and a 1 year old nephew who always crawl at my ankle and obviously i watch them and dont let them go near it just the thought make me real nervous. What if i fell asleep on couch and it was showing so around them its iwb and tucked in shirt.

-Makes you look like a lesbian

:s0113:

I carry in a fanny pack all the time and I assure you, no one mistakes me for a lesbian! :s0114:

Actually, I don't wear it around my waist, I just hand carry it or have it slung over my shoulder.

The only time I carry the fanny pack (actually it's a Bianchi Bag made for CC) is when I'm driving too and from work or I'm not going to be out doing a lot of walking around. It has enough room for my DW CBOB, my SureFire E2D, and extra mag, etc...

If I'm going to be out walking around I carry my SP101 3" either OWB or IWB depending on what I am wearing.

It's what all we fashionable Lesbo's do. :s0114:

OP: this is a great topic

This is my personal experience and this is something that is different with different people. I only CC so this effects the way I see things.

Ankle Carry
Ruger SP-101, 2 inch, 5-shot, spurless hammer

Pro: since I'm a semi-fitted jeans and tee shirt guy for CC inside waist band doesn't work for me but ankle carry does.
Pro: can fit for many situation
Pro: comfort, with a "good" holster weight is not noticeable
Pro: easy removal of holster to store
Pro: no belt required
Pro: no jacket required or shirt
Pro: negligent discharge form holster has a low chance of hitting a vital area

Con: I have to reach down to obtain it.
Con: depending on the weight it can be very noticeable to the person
Con: for me I need to wear jeans that are loose or boot-cut
Con: limited to "small" firearms
Con: pants required
Con: no sandals or bare foot since shoes give support to the holster

Pocket Carry
pocket pistol (for me)

Pro: no holster needed, all you need is a pocket
Pro: can fit for many situations, all you need is a pocket
Pro: weapon can be obtained very easily, depending on placement
Pro: comfort level is GOOD depending on firearm, holster/no holster, clothes
Pro: NO print depending on firearm, clothes and holster/no holster
Pro: many pockets to choose from and switch to on the fly

Con: comfort level is BAD depending on firearm, holster/no holster, clothes
Con: normally limited to pocket sized firearm (pockets come in all sizes)
Con: can be hard to draw depending on clothes, holster, situation (sitting, standing)
Con: LOTS of print depending on firearm, clothes and holster/no holster
Con: lint
Con: negligent discharge may hit vital area(s) (has not happened to me but could)

The one item you didn't mention as a CON for the shoulder holster is that the weapon usually the point at everyone behind you when you start to draw the firearm out of the holster and that you sweep all the people who maybe on the same side as the firearm as you bring the pistol on target... With an IWB or OWB you bring the firearm out straight in front of you onto the target. The above does assume you are facing the threat.

I carry IWB in the small of my back. I'm right-handed, so I just order left-handed holsters, specifically the High Noon Holsters "hidden ally" model. Mine have belt clips so they are easy to put on and remove, and my S&W 640, Keltec P-11 and Taurus PT-111 all conceal nicely without printing.

The one item you didn't mention as a CON for the shoulder holster is that the weapon usually the point at everyone behind you when you start to draw the firearm out of the holster and that you sweep all the people who maybe on the same side as the firearm as you bring the pistol on target... With an IWB or OWB you bring the firearm out straight in front of you onto the target. The above does assume you are facing the threat.

The shoulderholster con is non......

CZ P-01 with decocker and one in the pipe.

It won't go bang until you decide its time to go bang.

And, for that matter, safety controlled weapons also.

Now, I clearly understand "sweeping."

But the general assumption seems to be that there

Is an idiot behind the trigger, and it is a "live" weapon.

I would truly like to put this argument to bed for

Once and for all.

isher

I made my own "smartcarry" rig YEARS ago. It is a minimalist thing, but I have used it off and on for a decade or so. Mine has no trigger guard, so I don't carry one in the chamber. It's an Israeli draw for me...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top