JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When it comes to max loads the chrony is another tool evaluating but they are not the final word as far as charge weight. It all concerns pressure which velocity is derived from.

You will begin to see pressure signs whereas the speed may or may not still be increasing with the increasing charges. Flattened primers, bolt embossing, unusual recoil, difficult extraction, etc will be there before a kA-boom and it is best to heed to them.

While most of us don't have expensive pressure transducers or specialized equipment, we can stay within the safety margins and get the results we want without those finite pressure numbers.

Again, it comes down to what the person wants, what they THINK they want and what they actually need. Accuracy is derived from consistency. Be consistent in your method, however you do it and you will get the results.

This evaluation of the chrony doesn't help you find out if your rounds are wimpy. It discusses only rounds which are way too hot - so hot you are seeing damage. The idea is to get the correct bullet speed. The reloading manual will give charge weights which will keep you from blowing up your gun if that's the only concern.

A chrony will also help you dial in your loads much, much faster.

Also, many of us forget the law of diminishing returns. I don't turn my case necks just like I don't use a micrometer adjusted bullet seating die nor anneal my cases for the same reasons. How much better can your reloads realistically get for the time and money spent. I'm already producing better than factory ammunition with a minimum amout of time and materials because I makes sure things are CONSISTENT!

If you don't turn or at least measure your case necks to see if they need turning, your crimps will vary all over the place. Some might not crimp at all and allow bullets to move in the case while they are in the magazine or cylinder etc. Some may crimp too much causing unseen fractures in the lead.

To be scientifikal as you called it and CONSISTENT as you called it in your past two posts, you can't skip steps.

I completely understand the reasons for operating in a scientific manner. There's no other way to evaluate round A vs. round B otherwise.

Then again, there's no point in comparing rounds until I have a chrony, or if I'm doing ballistics testing on non-paper targets. So far every round has gone "boom" and there's been a corresponding hole in the paper. Without a chrony, all I can do is perceive sound, recoil and muzzle blast differences. Hotter loads seem to increase all of the above :)

I think a chrony can help, but is not necessarily needed for reloading. Evaluating group size only, while knowing that you are under max load, is good enough for most folks.

Using a chrony will give you more data points to evaluate your load. (look at your SD, max/min velocity, etc)

A chrony is also handy if you're going to perform a Taguchi/DOE type of analysis for your reloads (typically done by benchrest guys, where 1/8" is too much variability). Complicated matrix style multi-variable analysis, to measure the effect of change.

Locally I've noticed inconsistent primer inventory, so I wanted to learn, what/if any difference the primers made in the event I cannot find my preference.

When I'm loading for a standard plinking round, I really don't pay much attention to primers, except keeping them consistent within the batch.

If i'm starting to push the limit, then i get particular about the primers, and my testing technique.

I think a chrony can help, but is not necessarily needed for reloading. Evaluating group size only, while knowing that you are under max load, is good enough for most folks.

Using a chrony will give you more data points to evaluate your load. (look at your SD, max/min velocity, etc)

A chrony is also handy if you're going to perform a Taguchi/DOE type of analysis for your reloads (typically done by benchrest guys, where 1/8" is too much variability). Complicated matrix style multi-variable analysis, to measure the effect of change.

When I'm loading for a standard plinking round, I really don't pay much attention to primers, except keeping them consistent within the batch.

If i'm starting to push the limit, then i get particular about the primers, and my testing technique.

I guess I'm not wording my sentences well. If your loads are wimpy, especially for a hunting rifle, you will get excessive drop at range. You might also not get proper penetration or bullet expansion. That doesn't make for a good hunting round. I need to know that my bullet speed is very close to matching factory loads.

For handgun defensive loads, a wimpy load might not penetrate or expand properly.

I can't look you in the eye and tell you I have a good reload if I don't know what the bullet speed is.

$.02

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top