JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, looking for some input on selecting a magazine follower.

my HK currently has polymer followers and they have worn through use to the point that has caused a significant "lip" or "bur" where the case slides out of the magazine. I believe this is causing the failures to feed (bullet nose diving) while shooting.
I found some CNC aluminum followers and was thinking of going this route. Are there any downsides you guys have found to a metal follower? Specifically aluminum?
they are anodized for corrosion resistance

thanks!

Lot of guns come with aluminum followers, but these are $30 for just that part. The HK polymer ones are only $3.

If it lasted years of frequent range outings, I would just replace the plastic with the same and maybe buy some extras for when they eventually wear out again.

There are several parts in a gun that will wear out and need replaced. Magazines are no exception. Just like barrels are a disposable wear item that eventually will lose accuracy and need replaced.

Lot of guns come with aluminum followers, but these are $30 for just that part. The HK polymer ones are only $3.
Mind sending me a link? HK wants 10$ Each for the stock polymer followers that I found. 3$ is a lot easier on the wallet. Figured aluminum would last longer for a little extra money

If it lasted years of frequent range outings, I would just replace the plastic with the same and maybe buy some extras for when they eventually wear out again.

There are several parts in a gun that will wear out and need replaced. Magazines are no exception. Just like barrels are a disposable wear item that eventually will lose accuracy and need replaced.
Thats the thing they only lasted maybe a year and a half. Only 500-750 rounds per mag.
was thinking of going aluminum for better longevity as this is my "shtf" pistol.

Polymer self-lubricates.
Aluminum is a porous metal that is not near as slick as polymer.
Not all polymers self lubricate, only specific blends do. Not sure if these followers use that composition or not. Regardless I lubricant my mags for general corrosion resistance on the regular. (PNW shooter)

Glock, CZ, Sig, HK, FN and Magpul all use polymer followers. If the top brands say polymer is GTG, I'm not going to argue. Changing the material from OE changes the mag overall and may induce failure. Think about changing the follower like changing the oil in you vehicle. The gas (ammo) cost way, wayyy more than the oil (follower) does between change intervals. Drop in a bucket. Also, if it's JUST a burr, you can file and smooth it. Might try the free fix first.

Thread Resurrection. Recently I made a switch from Magpul polymer to Metal. Not sure of I did the right thing for my purpose. I thought I'd insert this.:s0130:

POLYMER VS. STEEL MAGAZINES: IS ONE TRULY BETTER?

November 7, 2023
The AR-15 magazine market offers more options than rounds that will fit in a Magpul D-60 drum magazine. Especially given today's political and economic conditions, it may be wise to stock up on a few of your favorite magazines; just saying.
But it can be hard to tell where to start if you're new to shooting or simply want to explore other magazine options. There are polymer, steel/aluminum, and hybrid mags, all of which come in various capacities and colors. With all of them though, especially hybrid mags, which we'll get into shortly, the most important part of the magazine is the feed lips. So, keep that in mind as we go.
Like many others, it's a long-standing debate in my shooting circle about which type of magazine is best. I'll be the first to say I don't believe there is a best option, but today I'll help explain the pros and cons of each so you can decide for yourself.
Variety-Mags-920x736.jpg
Don't let that mag on the left fool you; it's not a hybrid, just a translucent polymer Amend2 MOD-C mag.​

Polymer Magazines
If you've ever shot an AR-15 or even just seen one at the range, you've likely seen a Magpul PMAG (the P stands for polymer). These polymer magazines are considered by many to be the "gold standard" of polymer AR magazines.
Pmag-with-ammo-920x920.jpg
I have yet to have a PMAG fail me in any way.​
Polymer mags are popular for several reasons:
  1. They can have windows to allow you to keep track of your rounds
  2. They are easier to tell if they are functional or broken
  3. They do not rust
  4. They have the highest capacity (at least, I've never seen a steel drum mag)
To elaborate on #2, polymer feed lips usually either crack, chip, or break to the point you can visually see the defect. So, while they may be less durable technically, you can be more confident of their ability from a quick visual inspection.
There are a ton of other quality polymer magazines on the market, too, aside from those made by Magpul. A few other popular manufacturers of polymer mags to check out are Amend2, Hexmag, and Promag.
Steel/Aluminum Magazines
These magazines are more of a broad category as some are made out of aluminum, steel, or other metals, but we'll lump them all together for this discussion.
It may seem like polymer mags would be clear winners based on the pros I mentioned above, but there are also plenty of pros to steel/aluminum mags.
Steel/Aluminum mags are popular for several reasons too:
  1. They are often thinner/smoother and fit better in mag pouches/carriers
  2. They have feed lips that are harder to break
  3. They are often slightly more affordable
Looking at #2 here for steel magazines, the more durable feed lips are a pro, but they can also act as a con. While it takes more to actually break the feed lips, they can slightly deform without much visible indication, which can easily cause malfunctions. It's the exact opposite scenario with the polymer mags, where if the lips break, you'll know it.
Feed-lips-920x920.jpg
The feed lips are arguably the most crucial part of the magazine. Polymer feed lips are on the left and steel feed lips are on the right.​
If steel/aluminum mags sound like they are the ones for you, Duramag is likely where you'll want to start your search. However, just like the polymer mags, plenty of other manufacturers have quality offerings. A few to take a look at are Promag and OKAY Industries.
Duramag-920x690.jpg
Duramags are durable, lightweight, and come in a variety of colors.​
Hybrid Magazines
Now, to throw even more options into the mix, we have hybrid magazines. These have polymer bodies with metal feed lips. You get increased durability from the steel feed lips, with the ability to have translucent bodies to keep track of your rounds.
Translucent-Green-ODG-scaled-1-920x613.jpg
A translucent polymer body and steel feed lips make for a solid combination.​
The Lancer L5AWM (Advanced Warfighter Magazine) is the textbook example of this mag style. While I don't often shoot with Lancer mags, I have heard nothing but good things about them, with many people swearing by them.
Is There a Winner?
As I mentioned at the beginning of the article, I don't believe there is a definitive winner of which type of magazine is best. Sure, some are better for specific scenarios than others. However, a quality magazine from a reputable company that is taken care of should suffice and last you a very long time.
Duramag-with-ammo-920x920.jpg
Tip: Always make sure your magazine is made for the caliber you intend to shoot!​
The beautiful thing is, you can have many different kinds! Grab a few or several magazines and see which you like best. You'll never regret having more mags than you need, but you'll definitely regret having less than you need.
As always, stay safe, train hard, and have fun!

Thread Resurrection. Recently I made a switch from Magpul polymer to Metal. Not sure of I did the right thing for my purpose. I thought I'd insert this.:s0130:

November 7, 2023
The AR-15 magazine market offers more options than rounds that will fit in a Magpul D-60 drum magazine. Especially given today's political and economic conditions, it may be wise to stock up on a few of your favorite magazines; just saying.
But it can be hard to tell where to start if you're new to shooting or simply want to explore other magazine options. There are polymer, steel/aluminum, and hybrid mags, all of which come in various capacities and colors. With all of them though, especially hybrid mags, which we'll get into shortly, the most important part of the magazine is the feed lips. So, keep that in mind as we go.
Like many others, it's a long-standing debate in my shooting circle about which type of magazine is best. I'll be the first to say I don't believe there is a best option, but today I'll help explain the pros and cons of each so you can decide for yourself.
View attachment 1758466
Don't let that mag on the left fool you; it's not a hybrid, just a translucent polymer Amend2 MOD-C mag.​

Polymer Magazines
If you've ever shot an AR-15 or even just seen one at the range, you've likely seen a Magpul PMAG (the P stands for polymer). These polymer magazines are considered by many to be the "gold standard" of polymer AR magazines.
View attachment 1758467
  3. They do not rust
To elaborate on #2, polymer feed lips usually either crack, chip, or break to the point you can visually see the defect. So, while they may be less durable technically, you can be more confident of their ability from a quick visual inspection.
There are a ton of other quality polymer magazines on the market, too, aside from those made by Magpul. A few other popular manufacturers of polymer mags to check out are Amend2, Hexmag, and Promag.
Steel/Aluminum Magazines
These magazines are more of a broad category as some are made out of aluminum, steel, or other metals, but we'll lump them all together for this discussion.
It may seem like polymer mags would be clear winners based on the pros I mentioned above, but there are also plenty of pros to steel/aluminum mags.
Looking at #2 here for steel magazines, the more durable feed lips are a pro, but they can also act as a con. While it takes more to actually break the feed lips, they can slightly deform without much visible indication, which can easily cause malfunctions. It's the exact opposite scenario with the polymer mags, where if the lips break, you'll know it.
View attachment 1758468
The feed lips are arguably the most crucial part of the magazine. Polymer feed lips are on the left and steel feed lips are on the right.​
If steel/aluminum mags sound like they are the ones for you, Duramag is likely where you'll want to start your search. However, just like the polymer mags, plenty of other manufacturers have quality offerings. A few to take a look at are Promag and OKAY Industries.
View attachment 1758469
Hybrid Magazines
Now, to throw even more options into the mix, we have hybrid magazines. These have polymer bodies with metal feed lips. You get increased durability from the steel feed lips, with the ability to have translucent bodies to keep track of your rounds.
View attachment 1758470
The Lancer L5AWM (Advanced Warfighter Magazine) is the textbook example of this mag style. While I don't often shoot with Lancer mags, I have heard nothing but good things about them, with many people swearing by them.
Is There a Winner?
As I mentioned at the beginning of the article, I don't believe there is a definitive winner of which type of magazine is best. Sure, some are better for specific scenarios than others. However, a quality magazine from a reputable company that is taken care of should suffice and last you a very long time.
View attachment 1758471
Tip: Always make sure your magazine is made for the caliber you intend to shoot!​
The beautiful thing is, you can have many different kinds! Grab a few or several magazines and see which you like best. You'll never regret having more mags than you need, but you'll definitely regret having less than you need.
I have lots of both kinds, including about 6 different brands of polymer mags. Magpul is by far my favorite. Hexmag for 300 BLK.

November 7, 2023
View attachment 1758466

Polymer Magazines
View attachment 1758467
  3. They do not rust
Steel/Aluminum Magazines
View attachment 1758468
View attachment 1758469
Hybrid Magazines
View attachment 1758470
Is There a Winner?
View attachment 1758471
PROMAG????:s0140: I wouldn't buy them if they were the only legal mag available and I was out.

I have MecGar magazines that fed three guns for 30 years with polymer followers with no sign of wear. I do lightly lubricate them once in a while.

Last Edited:
Here's a bunch MORE variables for you to consider. Different rifles/handguns that are otherwise identical may prefer different mags. Those same complimentary mag/firearm winners could run better with certain ammo, but start crappin out with other loads.
Gun/mag/ammo combination achieved? Sure it's great off the bench or at an indoor range, but now go play outside. Snow ,mud , sub zero day , summer scorcher? Still feed and eject ? Mag still kick free no problem? OK, last one I promise. How many times can you chosen magazine hit the deck ? Sure ,we all know the laundry basket full of old towels bit. But don't you want something you know will survive contact with logging road rock ?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top