JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Metal or Polymer magazine

• Metal magazine

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Polymer magazine

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 28.9%

• Total voters
I'm not a veteran, but I have several friends who highly preferred Magpul to their issued steel magazines for infantry purposes.

I like windows on my mags and I like that I can disassemble Magpul mags quickly for cleaning. There are plenty of torture test videos that show what mags can stand up to. I've tried metal mags but ultimately decided for me that Magpul were my preferred magazine.

You forgot paper as a choice nothing worse trying to read an article on my polymer and metal phone while in the bathroom doing my morning ritual. (Centerfolds are too small)

But now for the real story.

For the AK I prefer the good old fashion heavy steel Mags because they just work, they are cheap and can also be used as a club when the ammo runs out. Yes I have some expensive quality polymer mags and they work just fine but are 2 to 3 times the price of steel and they do not work any better

For the AR I have both and do not have a preference but I will say I have a couple old school load bearing vest that will not take the P-mags as they are two thick. I also know that the Gen 2 P-mags will not run in all guns as stated before but all I run is AR15s so it is not an issue for me.

I think it depends on the Firearm, I love the SKS anyone that knows me knows this.
But they have been around along time and tolerances vary, the polymer are way more forgiving in the SKS then metal. I find in AK Variants the same, but the SKS its more noticeable. A steel that will fit in a Norinco with no filing and will and often does take allot of work for fitting in the Yugo and the reverse can be said depending on who makes them, but most times its as I said, wait what I say again. Its Friday sue me.
For a Pistol Steel all the way always work I find more polymer issues in pistols then rifles.
But the SKS I find polymers why do not look as cool as steel tend to work better.

But what do I know. :rolleyes:

You are correct on the SKS mags! I did a good bit of fitting on my steel duckbill, and then left it in place as a fixed mag. I feed it from stripper clips. Nice thing, it holds 37rnds! :D

I'm not a veteran, but I have several friends who highly preferred Magpul to their issued steel magazines for infantry purposes.

I like windows on my mags and I like that I can disassemble Magpul mags quickly for cleaning. There are plenty of torture test videos that show what mags can stand up to. I've tried metal mags but ultimately decided for me that Magpul were my preferred magazine.

The deal with grunts is they love ANYTHING that's "different" if they think it's "cool guy" stuff and if it'll make the "less cool" grunts into "wannabe's"....

I remember US Cavalry (magazine) getting a LOT of mail-order business... LOL!

The deal with grunts is they love ANYTHING that's "different" if they think it's "cool guy" stuff and if it'll make the "less cool" grunts into "wannabe's"....

I agree , my boy asked me to send him pmags when he was in Afghanistan. Just because.

Because it's what others used. He was an intelligence analyst, really didn't need them. But got them anyways.

Ahhhh..... good 'ol MI... "MOAO" aka... "Mother Of All Oxymorons" :D

A couple months ago I pinned oak leaves on my buddy during his promotion ceremony (he's now a Lt. Commander/O-4E), who's in Naval "Intelligence" and is currently back east getting "Infantry" training as he's going on a 12-mo rotation to the "sandbox" to run an intel section.

He recently posted pictures of himself in full battle-rattle and his rucksack load-out displayed out on the floor, complaining about all the weight... I replied he forgot the ammo cans.... LOL!

Last Edited:

I remember going on field exercises with my issued M21 and getting hit up with all manner of questions , photo requests and just plain "Can I please see your rifle ? " requests ... :D
In actually combat deployments .. that didn't happen as much.

But yeah US Cavalry and Brigade Quartermaster catalog's were popular when I was in...
Andy

I remember going on field exercises with my issued M21 and getting hit up with all manner of questions , photo requests and just plain "Can I please see your rifle ? " requests ... :D

But yeah US Cavalry and Brigade Quartermaster catalog's were popular when I was in...
Andy

So questions of all manner, photo requests, can I please see your rifle. I think your still on duty. :D

metal ones can disassemble quickly.

I have both- metal and magpul. However, all the SRF and VBSS training I did was with "old school" metal magazines with no anti tilt followers. They worked well. They put up with banging around hatches, p ways, running and gunning all day in the rain and mud, etc. They also fit well in a magazine carrier and don't get hung up anywhere between loading and unloading. Never had a problem with metal magazines becoming broken prematurely. I suppose they don't work as well as magpul magazines in being a wheel block but that's not what I'm using them for.

The window is a neat feature. Though training with emptying magazines then switching to a side arm or topping off the rifle with a new magazine between engagements is just as good if not better than checking round count with a window in my opinion.

In the end, it comes down to preference unless you're in the military then it comes down to what the experts are using. So far that choice, from what I've seen, are metal magazines.

Any ways, I'm off to the range with 6 loaded 30 round metal magazines and 6 metal pistol magazines. :)

Andy

Yep, Andy! When I was liaised to the infantry, who just a couple months before had went to the M-16, the grunts were fascinated by my M-14! Especially when I test fired, before entering the DMZ, on full auto! "Wow man, what's that?" "A real rifle!" :D

metal ones can disassemble quickly.

I have both- metal and magpul. However, all the SRF and VBSS training I did was with "old school" metal magazines with no anti tilt followers. They worked well. They put up with banging around hatches, p ways, running and gunning all day in the rain and mud, etc. They also fit well in a magazine carrier and don't get hung up anywhere between loading and unloading. Never had a problem with metal magazines becoming broken prematurely. I suppose they don't work as well as magpul magazines in being a wheel block but that's not what I'm using them for.

The window is a neat feature. Though training with emptying magazines then switching to a side arm or topping off the rifle with a new magazine between engagements is just as good if not better than checking round count with a window in my opinion.

In the end, it comes down to preference unless you're in the military then it comes down to what the experts are using. So far that choice, from what I've seen, are metal magazines.

Any ways, I'm off to the range with 6 loaded 30 round metal magazines and 6 metal pistol magazines. :)

Nice!!!

IMG_0710.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top