JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The rose garden has installed metal detectors for Blazer games. I cant find much information about what lead to this decision, only that it was in compliance with the "NBA mandated metal detection policy." I cant find any reference to a "NBA Policy" regarding this except that they were required during the playoffs last year following the death of osama bin laden and a fear of retribution. Was there a "no firearms" policy before at the rose garden? Did they have "no firearms" posted at the entrances previously?

My obvious fear is the incredible size of the "firearm free zone". We know the security is not going to keep out a would be attacker. But it is creating a huge shooting gallery of 20,000 defenseless people. Not to mention the inability for people to protect their family while coming and going from the facility. Most people have to walk several blocks in what is not exactly the safest neighborhood in Portland to get to the game.

I didn't mean to make the pole public. I was my first pole and I thought it just meant people could see the results.

Thats completely unnecessary for such a venue. I like carrying multiple things that are metal and don't need their approval. Granted I wouldn't go to a Blazer game anyway, but that definitely turns me off from paying to go see them. Gun free zones are just targets, one I would rather not be in.

I have voted Yes, although I should stand up and say no. I have a hard time depriving my son of the games because of my views. Im not sure if Ill stick with that. If I felt there was a movement where enough people would stop going to the games that it would effect the $bottom line$ I would join the fight. As it is, the blazers sell out every game and has the #1 rated fans in the NBA. This really pisses me off. Its easy to stop going to the mall or other establishments that post "no guns allowed". There are plenty of other places that can get my hard earned dollars, but there is only one trail blazers and I dont know if Im ready to give that tradition up yet.

I haven't been to an NBA game since the mid-nineties, don't watch them on t.v., and have no reason to change that. Not to get off topic, but the product that the NBA puts out has the veracity of pro wrestling and is less scrupulous, and really isn't basketball.

Now, if they put metal detectors on the player's entrance, that would be different...

When did this happen? Cause I went to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra in November and packed just fine

Pretty sure the metal detectors are an NBA-specific thing.

Although according to the Rose Quarter <broken link removed>:
Weapons/Concealed Weapons Permits

All weapons (handguns, etc.) will not be permitted on our premises, even if you have a concealed weapons permit.

The Rose Garden is a private facility which hosts private events. We do not allow off-duty police to carry their firearm into the buildings.

Wow. JELD-WEN field at least allows off-duty police to carry. (Although they don't do any real searching, either. I've always at least been pat down at events at the Rose Garden - never at JELD-WEN/PGE Park/Civic Stadium.)

We've been several times, I've carried every time. They "wanded" the guy in front of me and some behind. I haven't been lately but when we go it's to the private suites so maybe it's different there and we haven't been this year so maybe it's changed to everybody goes through a detector.

We've been several times, I've carried every time. They "wanded" the guy in front of me and some behind. I haven't been lately but when we go it's to the private boxes so maybe it's different there and we haven't been this year so maybe it's changed to everybody goes through a detector.

What's funny is that I've been more reliably wanded at the suite level entrance than at the street-level "riff-raff" entrance...

Isn't the Rose Bowl public property? And as such, NBA or no NBA, if it is public property, they have no say in the matter. State law prevails.

If the Rose Bowl is in fact private property (which I doubt), I also have the privilage of not patronizing them.

Isn't the Rose Bowl public property? And as such, NBA or no NBA, if it is public property, they have no say in the matter. State law prevails.

If the Rose Bowl is in fact private property (which I doubt), I also have the privilage of not patronizing them.

In Pasadena? I don't remember the Blazer's playing in an outdoor venue in SoCal...The Rose GARDEN is owned by Paul Allen.

I hope it's not true! I got tickets from work to two games, and I'll be damned if I don't carry on the MAX to get there. Wonder what happens if I put my Glock behind my huge belt buckle and just say that's what is going off?

Just info for fellow members:

The Rose Garden Arena is a privately owned facility and does not allow any concealed carry at any event. They have an agreement with the Portland Police to allow off duty Portland officers to carry on site. Officers from other agencies and concealed carry guests will not be allowed to enter while armed, no exceptions if your weapon is spotted/magnetometered.

We may not agree with the policy but it is good to know if you are going to any event in the Rose Garden Arena or the Memorial Colosseum.

Just info for fellow members:

The Rose Garden Arena is a privately owned facility and does not allow any concealed carry at any event. They have an agreement with the Portland Police to allow off duty Portland officers to carry on site. Officers from other agencies and concealed carry guests will not be allowed to enter while armed, no exceptions if your weapon is spotted/magnetometered.

We may not agree with the policy but it is good to know if you are going to any event in the Rose Garden Arena or the Memorial Colosseum.

Makes a damn good reason not to go there then.

So I had been under the impression that publicly owned buildings were "CHL holder can carry, period." Then I looked it up, and found a lawsuit (Kevin Starrett of OFF fame vs. City of Portland, over a New Years party in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square that was run by a private company,) that, unfortunately, came to the conclusion that publicly owned buildings that are leased to private companies MAY prohibit all carry, as long as it is done by the private company. JELD-WEN Field is my concern. I had carried in JELD-WEN in spite of their "Guest Guide" proclamation that it was disallowed under the impression that state preemption allowed me. This lawsuit decision says otherwise. Because Memorial Coliseum and JELD-WEN Field are leased out to private companies, those private companies may bar firearms.

The city may not FORCE a lessee/renter to ban firearms, but they cannot insist that they DO allow them, either. Once a private company leases the property, it is treated as private property, with gun prohibitions allowed. (In the Starrett case, it is even less obvious-private-property, as the New Years Eve party was completely sponsored and promoted by the city, but "run" by a private company - who was paid by the city to run it. Yet the court found that because the private company was running it, that private company could ban firearms.)

KEVIN STARRETT v. CITY OF PORTLAND:
In sum, ORS 166.170 and ORS 166.173 do not preclude a city from leasing public property to a private party on terms that permit the private party to choose whether to permit persons to carry concealed handguns pursuant to a license to enter onto the leased property or attend an event on the leased property. We therefore affirm the grant of summary judgment in the city's favor on that ground.

Why do I have a feeling that there is gonna be TSA at these events in the near future? I understand it's private property but it would be nice if they respected my right to carry with a CHL.... but they don't so I will not support the NBA and I will not attend any games. I went to the rose garden many years ago to watch a monster truck show and I, like a good citizen decided to go check my firearm in with the security. They checked it in and locked it up but the way I was treated.... I will never ever go through that again.
I am not much of a sport person anyway so I don't care if I never go to a game or any other event ever again. I go to the race track and watch fast cars.... the heck with NBA, NFL, NHL, and all the rest.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top