JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you have a yard or field or an old homestead or even just an idea of where a good spot would be, please pm me. I am a metal detector hobbyist. I enjoy detecting as a form of excercise and a time to reflect on life. If you have ever wondered what types of coins/jewelry are under your grass, or if you're wondering that now, let me know. I am a very respectful and responsible detector. I use a Whites DFX which is waterproof up to about 3 feet. If you lost your class ring, or if your wife's wedding ring slipped off somewhere in the yard, let me know and we'll find it and get it back where it needs to be. I charge $25 to come find lost keys, rings, jewelry etc... which goes to my church's youth group. Anything located otherwise is split 50/50 unless other terms are agreed on before detecting.
Thanks,
-Adam

The day I got mine I went to the oldest park in Spokane Wa. and started swinging. I came up with $4.58 in clad coins and I was excited, but not ecstatic. My brother was with me and I decided I would locate one last target of the night as it was getting pretty dark. I located it, my brother dug it, and sure enough it was a penny. My brother pulled it out and said, " Oh wow(sarcastically) a penny... we're rich!" Frustrated I responded, "Aaron, could you call them centennials just to make me feel better?" Then all of a sudden he said, "Hey Adam, since when did Lincon have a mohawk?" It turned out we had in fact found an indian head penney from 1907. Exactly 100 years old, still in great condition. Not worth much, but what an experience on my first day of hunting.

Just 2 weeks ago I went to our local park and I dug an 18kt Gold Men's wedding band with 4 diamonds. It was about 8" deep, so it had been there a long time. I have found all sorts of jewelry and OLD coins. My Whites DFX can pull coins and rings from about 15" deep. I've got lots of stories by the way.
-Adam

I wish I could say I've lost a ton. I've lost about 20lbs so far(only 30 to go). But yeah, she appreciates the fact that I go out and take her. I also take my 2 year old son out and we dig up "Burried Treasuer!"

I have ALWAYS wanted to buy a decent metal detector. I usually buy guns instead. One of these days I'm going to buy a nice metal detector and search the "back 40" and see what I can find. I'm jealous of all of you that have them.

My real name is Adam, and a clad coin is one which was produced after 1964. Quarters and dimes produced before were made out of silver. After '64 they were silver/nickle coated copper.

You can find great deals on whites detectors on craigslist. People tire of the hobby quickly. You can pick up an old spectrum or dfx for 5-6 hundred. Whites are the best. I have had many. Its a fun hobby. The digging gets old thats why I like to go to the beach. The sand is much easier, and people allways loose stuff in the sand....

Dang, I might have to look into this.

The property next to mine is now a SFH, but for the vast part of the 1930's-1960's it was the land where the public boat launch used to be. I'm sure some careless fisherman dropped some cool stuff during those years.

Hey if anyone has some property they'd like to have detected, let me know. I would love to come detect and show you how to use one of these things. It's fun, and even if you don't find one single thing (which rarely happens) you are still getting in some excercize!
-Adam

If you know of any areas that were dredged by mining companies long ago, alot of the tailings contain nuggets too small for the older processes to pick up. Detect them with the detector, then pan them.

Keith

It might take a bit of your time, but could you please explain the difference between the common $100 metal detectors and the impressive ones like yours. I would love to go poke around where the DuPont TNT factory exploded.

This will take a minute, so... Without getting into the details the less expensive detectors normally only have a pin VDI readout. You can turn the discretion up and down on most, but regardless, when you go over metal wether it's a nail or a big gold ring the machine, for the most part, makes pretty much the same noise while the pin may read just a hair different. On the Whites DFX it has a digital readout which tells you such things as: Depth, VDI reading and type of metal. If it's a coin it will tell you if it's a penney, quarter, dime, nickle or 1$ piece. It will tell you if your target is a ring, a pull tab, foil or a nail which represents any nonferrous metal like iron or steel. When it tells me the depth it's usualy close to within a half inch or so. The DFX comes with 9 settings already programmed into it while you can create many of your own settings. Some of the preset settings are: Relic, Prospecting, Coin, Coin/Jewelry, Jewelry/Beach and so on. The DFX is waterproof up to the control box. It is also one of the few which is designed to be used in saltwater as saltwater usually has an adverse affect on detectors. I personally have pulled items from as deep as 14" but Whites says it will pick up targets to around 18" which is really pretty deep when you think about it. The DFX works on a multi frequency operation meaning it searches on either 3kHz, 15 kHz, or both. Also the discrimination setting on the DFX is programable. I can set my detector to discriminate all iron/steel and pop-tops if i'm just searching for coins and when I go over something iron like a nail it doesn't make a noise. There is so much more to these detectors, but I gotta go, so here's a link to White's site. You should read up on them and maybe I'll run into you one of these days out at a local park and we can share our findings!

<broken link removed>

By the way, Whites is located in Sweet Home Oregon, so by purchasing from them I feel like I'm supporting a local business. Happy Hunting!

I have owned the expensive Whites for many years. All the bells and whistles are nice if you can afford it. But you can get a garrett ace 100 for 100.00 bucks and it will find almost just as much stuff, just wont go quite as deep. If I were buying a cheap detector I recomend the garrett.

I second that. I have a Garrett 250 and it does quite well. It's my back-up and it's fairly inexpensive. If you're just getting into the hobby these Garrett series are great entry detectors. Also the Whites prizm series is an awesome entry detector as well!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top