Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Messed up take down pin on Lower reciever

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by thewhitebuffalo83, Jan 27, 2012.

1. thewhitebuffalo83

thewhitebuffalo83 Gresham/Boring Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I was in a hurry trying to get my Lower receiver put together that other day because I might have a buyer for my DTI but I wanted to get my new kit build and tested before the sale and I accidentally put the wrong detent spring in with the front take down pin and I can't get the take down pin out for the life of me. Does anyone have any advise for me. I do have a extra lower parts kit in case I have to cannibalize something, hopefully not. Thanks for any help. Here are some pics of what I am talking about.

This is the pin I can't get out.
    2012-01-28_13-59-18_183.jpg
    2012-01-28_14-00-11_76.jpg

This is the pin and spring I used, I pulled them from my extra LPK.
    2012-01-28_14-03-00_822.jpg

2. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Which spring did you put in it?

3. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Front take down pin- find a sturdy small pointed tool- I have a little small 90degreee hook tool, use that to put pressure back on detent/spring and will allow the front pin out. As always with this pin- don't lose your detent and spring!!

4. thewhitebuffalo83

I think I used the right spring. I added a pic of the spring and detent pin and the take down pin I messed up in case I was using the wrong terminology. I am still a newb to AR's. I can't get anything in the tiny space I have to work with. Thanks again for any help.
    Travis

5. Garg

add a dab of oil and then use a punch or something to pop it out. It is supposed to be tight.

6. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I agree add a little oil, Use a small nylon faced hammer and whack the end (the end without the head) of the pin and that it will unseat it!

7. thewhitebuffalo83

Thanks for the help. Lubing it up and pounding it out worked. It is not as easy to push in and out but it works. Now on to finishing the rest of the rest of the lower and then test fireing. Thanks again.

8. Garg

It will loosen up with use over time. At least you didn't launch the spring and detent across the room, like I have more times than I would care to admit.