JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had these two bucks hanging around for 3-4 years now. They used to be very healthy looking when they were younger, but something has happened. One of them, the oldest, looks like he had his jaw broken a couple years ago, or is suffering some disease. His antlers were in the past, nice 4-points, but now they are not looking so well with the little bumps and non-symmetrical growth. The other is his younger, more dominant buddy who lost half of his rack a week ago. I found blood on the ground near the feeder, then saw him later that day with half his rack gone.

My main concern (not that I can do anything about it) is the older buck...his mouth and jaw are in real bad shape, but it does not keep him from eating well.

Here are a few pics. Comments/thoughts are welcome.

MESSED-UP-DEER-1.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-2.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-3.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-4.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-5.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-6.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-7.jpg

Wow! As a hunter, I'm saddened to see this. Hate to watch animals suffer. Could have been some beautiful bucks, come season. I wonder if someone tried head shots with a gun on them with horrible marksmanship or if they survived getting hit by a vehicle? Though on the body, there is no visible road rash or body wounds. I can only guess but my hunch is that it's caused by man, rather then a medical issue. They look healthy otherwise.

If you feed him, maybe soft foods to make it easier?
They get Purina Antler Max. Small pellets like rabbit food. One thing for sure is Mr.BrokenJaw has no problem eating. He grabs cherries from the neighbor's tree and I've watched him eat the green husks off walnuts. He also likes the small quaking aspen shoots popping up all over the yard...thankful for that I am.

Wow! As a hunter, I'm saddened to see this. Hate to watch animals suffer. Could have been some beautiful bucks, come season. I wonder if someone tried head shots with a gun on them with horrible marksmanship or if they survived getting hit by a vehicle? Though on the body, there is no visible road rash or body wounds. I can only guess but my hunch is that it's caused by man, rather then a medical issue. They look healthy otherwise.
There has been construction in the nature park by our house for the last couple years. I thought maybe he got spooked and ran into their construction fence or a tractor, or may fell into one of their pits. Like I said, he was fine a couple years ago and that was prior to construction.

Poor babies. We have a lot of deer through our land, once I noticed one of them had a horrible abscess on one of it legs. I am guessing coyotes tried to take it. Haven't seen that one for about a year. I always try and make sure they feel safe here, just in case I need them later. Recently the wife and I were alarmed to a sound out back, and witnessed about 20 or so Elk moving through the back area. Quite a sight.

There has been construction in the nature park by our house for the last couple years. I thought maybe he got spooked and ran into their construction fence or a tractor, or may fell into one of their pits. Like I said, he was fine a couple years ago and that was prior to construction.
I doubt either of those(respectfully), because deer, especially bucks, are mostly nocturnal in the wild and their pupils dilate much more then our human eyes can, so vision is not an issue in the dark for them. They wander in the timber and hard walking clear cuts night after night without breaking their legs. Even under stress during hunting season, I've witnessed spooked bucks run for a particular direction back in to the woods. Most times there was a beaten path or at least a visibly used route, so they have an escape plan in the back of their mind, for just in case it seems.

I think antlers like that are usually caused by an injury of some sort, where the antler is damaged. It would be consistent with an injury to the jaw as well.

Or it could be a disease. I'd forward it to ODFW or some college professor type.

elsie

Just an observation post: Nice use of your lense and good quality of the close ups, solid detail and you can see what you are talking about in all of your photos ...... Hope they do well for the remaining time in their lives.

I had a healthy Buck with 1 antler roaming my lil Homestead of 99.3 % OF 1 acre.:s0108: I had some nice Heirloom Maters I was taking care of all Summer and when harvest time:s0166: finally arrived that S.O.B. 1 antlered Buck Bastard :s0087:managed to get in the fenced area of my beloved Heirloom Maters and he ATE ALL of them ! :s0118::s0058: :s0075:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top