Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Messed up Deer in my Yard

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 308, Jul 27, 2015.

1. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

I've had these two bucks hanging around for 3-4 years now. They used to be very healthy looking when they were younger, but something has happened. One of them, the oldest, looks like he had his jaw broken a couple years ago, or is suffering some disease. His antlers were in the past, nice 4-points, but now they are not looking so well with the little bumps and non-symmetrical growth. The other is his younger, more dominant buddy who lost half of his rack a week ago. I found blood on the ground near the feeder, then saw him later that day with half his rack gone.

My main concern (not that I can do anything about it) is the older buck...his mouth and jaw are in real bad shape, but it does not keep him from eating well.

Here are a few pics. Comments/thoughts are welcome.

MESSED-UP-DEER-1.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-2.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-3.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-4.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-5.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-6.jpg MESSED-UP-DEER-7.jpg

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Looks like it got falcon punched by Chuck Norris. Poor thing.

Stomper and 308 like this.
  3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

If you feed him, maybe soft foods to make it easier?

BoonDocks36, 308 and coyotecaller like this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

They will taste just fine.

PBinWA, Slobray, Loptr and 9 others like this.
  5. coyotecaller

coyotecaller Active Member

Wow! As a hunter, I'm saddened to see this. Hate to watch animals suffer. Could have been some beautiful bucks, come season. I wonder if someone tried head shots with a gun on them with horrible marksmanship or if they survived getting hit by a vehicle? Though on the body, there is no visible road rash or body wounds. I can only guess but my hunch is that it's caused by man, rather then a medical issue. They look healthy otherwise.

nwwoodsman, jsparks747, Mikej and 3 others like this.
  6. 308

They get Purina Antler Max. Small pellets like rabbit food. One thing for sure is Mr.BrokenJaw has no problem eating. He grabs cherries from the neighbor's tree and I've watched him eat the green husks off walnuts. He also likes the small quaking aspen shoots popping up all over the yard...thankful for that I am.

BoonDocks36 and coyotecaller like this.
  7. 308

There has been construction in the nature park by our house for the last couple years. I thought maybe he got spooked and ran into their construction fence or a tractor, or may fell into one of their pits. Like I said, he was fine a couple years ago and that was prior to construction.

8. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Poor babies. We have a lot of deer through our land, once I noticed one of them had a horrible abscess on one of it legs. I am guessing coyotes tried to take it. Haven't seen that one for about a year. I always try and make sure they feel safe here, just in case I need them later. Recently the wife and I were alarmed to a sound out back, and witnessed about 20 or so Elk moving through the back area. Quite a sight.

9. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I wonder if they are eating a bunch of human food from the local parks.

Do they have tumors on them also??

Monica Cowles likes this.
  10. 308

'snota tumah!

The Courier, decklin, albin25 and 2 others like this.
  11. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Well spoken Aaaanold :D

12. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

41Slinger and spectra like this.
  13. coyotecaller

coyotecaller Active Member

I doubt either of those(respectfully), because deer, especially bucks, are mostly nocturnal in the wild and their pupils dilate much more then our human eyes can, so vision is not an issue in the dark for them. They wander in the timber and hard walking clear cuts night after night without breaking their legs. Even under stress during hunting season, I've witnessed spooked bucks run for a particular direction back in to the woods. Most times there was a beaten path or at least a visibly used route, so they have an escape plan in the back of their mind, for just in case it seems.

308 likes this.
  14. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I think the other thing you could call them "Derp Deer"

Stomper likes this.
  15. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

I think antlers like that are usually caused by an injury of some sort, where the antler is damaged. It would be consistent with an injury to the jaw as well.

Or it could be a disease. I'd forward it to ODFW or some college professor type.

elsie

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  16. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Almost looks like a fungus is attacking their hornage...

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  17. Talin

Talin Hwy 30 Active Member

Just an observation post: Nice use of your lense and good quality of the close ups, solid detail and you can see what you are talking about in all of your photos ...... Hope they do well for the remaining time in their lives.

18. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Couldn't help it.

laughing-deer-o.gif

curtismann, Quacky88, Slobray and 8 others like this.
  19. 45alive

45alive South Douglas County- Orygun Well-Known Member

I had a healthy Buck with 1 antler roaming my lil Homestead of 99.3 % OF 1 acre.:s0108: I had some nice Heirloom Maters I was taking care of all Summer and when harvest time:s0166: finally arrived that S.O.B. 1 antlered Buck Bastard :s0087:managed to get in the fenced area of my beloved Heirloom Maters and he ATE ALL of them ! :s0118::s0058: :s0075:

20. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

High on crack:rolleyes: You might talk to the game department and show them your photo's.