JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright all you keyboard fishermen, time to pony up and actually show all the other cyber space viewers that you do go fishin!!!!!!

I had a friend cancel at the last minuet so my 18' Jetcraft needs some ballast. Tuesday evening 7-21 through Thursday evening 7-23, if limits are the norm I'll stay through Friday!!!!!

I have all the gear, unless you think you have more and you can bring what you like. No need to be shy cause the Caveman ain't.....

So if you feel like catching fish, want to attempting to catch fish or you just want to take a slow boat ride & BS with a Caveman then meet me at the lake.....
Text (can't hear squat on the phones) @ 36zero -47zero-two475.

IMGP0144.JPG

IMGP0145.JPG

Don't forget the white shoepeg corn. Last time I was up there trollin a guy pulls up along side me and asked if I had any to spare, he'd forgot to get some. I'd be curios how deep they are now with the warm water.

Last Edited:
I know this will not affect you but it's a headsup

The Merwin flows will be reduced to 800 cfs on July 31st in reaction to the drought conditions and to conserve water for the fall spawning. Today the inflow to Merwin from the entire upper basin is 680 cfs. The inflow to Swift Reservoir is 520 cfs. The key upper river tributary, Muddy River has a flow of 116 cfs and Speelyai Creek flow (tributary to Merwin) is 2.1 cfs. - 8:27 a.m. 7/21/2015
The Merwin flows will be reduced to 800 cfs on July 31st in reaction to the drought conditions and to conserve water for the fall spawning. Today the inflow to Merwin from the entire upper basin is 680 cfs. The inflow to Swift Reservoir is 520 cfs. The key upper river tributary, Muddy River has a flow of 116 cfs and Speelyai Creek flow (tributary to Merwin) is 2.1 cfs.

I meant that there is 100+ feet of depth all around but the Kokes we're around 37- 57' of water. I'd mark fish & raise or lower the electric DR (so easy) and most of the times WHAMMO!!! Never trusted a FF for salmon because there were never on the graph when they bit, kokes, they are there and hungry!!!!!!

If you were vertical jiggin they would.... lol

OK folks due to limited WIFI bandwidth available in Cougar and on the lake (Hell there ain't even any cell service on the lake except in the western portion) I decided to wait till I returned to post the highlights of my trip...

Well all I can say about Merwin Lake is..... WOW!!!!

It is a top notch fishing destination for anyone who wants to catch fish, it's so easy even a Caveman can do it!!!

I stopped in the evening before I intended to fish (takes me a bit to do things by myself anymore) just to make sure I was at the right place. Speelyai ramp, check, talk to some old timers to get the dope on the area & tackle, check, spent the last remaining minuets till the loss of consciousness pondering the thought of if they (the two old timers) were pulling my leg because I slipped up and told them it was my first time here, check....o_Oo_Oo_O

I always go with my gut when it comes to fishing, no matter the species so I did not make a bee line it to the dam (sorry guys) but ran till I saw a boat "HOOK UP". I know, but honestly I did not technically "LOW HOLE" the guy....... 1/4 mile is safe distance so deployed the tried and true KokaneeJim offering (my creation from experienced outings) on the Port DR at 43' and another rig which I'll call the "Sad Smily" in blue, hence the name sad at 51' OTW (downrigger talk, On The Wire).... I did adjust the electric DR to the depth of the fish finder was showing both days & WHAMMO!!!!!

Trolled for 5 mins and the Starboard rigger rod started acting up and sure enough it was a pike minnow... Re thinking my stopping point to fish choice I stayed nad 3 mins later anothe pole dancer on the starboard side, 10" Koke this time. In the next hour and 1/2 it was pretty consistent for the 10-12" fish on the starboard side, then NOTHING!!!!! With 2 hours of trolling the Honey Hole and having no success I was trolling back towards the ramp in hopes of picking up 3 more for the limit and got bit 3 more times by the linebacker school at 53' OTW .... 3, 14"rs came to my net within 20 minutes around the point before Spellyai bay.;)

Thursday I knew better than to go back to the same place that I had had success the day before, but I did & wasted 2 hours for 2 10"rs..... Went to the point and it was "LIGHTS OUT FISHIN" that ended around 12:30 with another limit. I had two back to back doubles that popped the releases and landed them all, it must have been a scene out of an old comedy movie (maybe the tthree for the spectators trolling by & cheering me on. Look he already has 3 fish in the net & is going to net another one!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::p

Two epic days of fishing a new lake and having success has lifted my spirits as far as putting meat in the freezer and memories that no camera can do justice. ;)

Oh, and I was reminded by scrandell01215 of the trip he accompanied with me on Wednesday afternoon, it was so windy and the fish didn't want to play, AT ALL.... good to see you again my friend!!!!

SO, maybe next time I post an open seat, some of you might think of calling in sick for a day or two...:oops::oops:

IMGP0144.JPG

IMGP0145.JPG

IMGP0147.JPG

IMGP0148.JPG

IMGP0150.JPG

Last Edited:
I would have had no problem free loading off the likes of you had I not been in Yakima all week;)

It's pretty cool you put the offer out there to the community. I'm sure it would have been a blast.
Thanks. And congrats on the haul.

Jim,
You forgot part of the story, what about the 2 1/2 hrs we didn't get even a bite. LOL
It was still fun hanging out with you though. Maybe next time I'll catch something! Lol
Stacy

I would have had no problem free loading off the likes of you had I not been in Yakima all week;)

It's pretty cool you put the offer out there to the community. I'm sure it would have been a blast.
Thanks. And congrats on the haul.

No freeloading, I'd make you work it off by baiting hooks, reeling in fish and driving the boat!!!! :eek::D:p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top