JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out of town lately and was going through a bunch of old emails. I read Merkley's reply to a letter and email that I had sent. I knew he would not support my opinion but I was surprised by the hypocrisy of a statement in his reply. Here is his office's reply--check out the highlighted comment.

Dear Garrett,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding an amendment offered to the Defense Authorization Act (S.1390) that would have modified gun ownership regulations by requiring states to recognize all other states' concealed carry permits. It is an honor to serve as your Senator, and I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.

I understand that people feel very passionately on both sides regarding the limits and regulation of gun ownership. The provision offered by Senators John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) would have allowed gun owners with valid permits from one state to carry concealed weapons in other states that issue such permits. I voted in opposition to this amendment, which failed to pass and thus be adopted as part of the defense authorization bill.

I opposed the Thune-Vitter amendment because the bill would have permitted gun owners from states with weaker gun laws to carry concealed weapons in Oregon. While I have always supported the right of law-abiding gun owners to own and use firearms, I believe states should have the right to establish and enforce their own gun laws, particularly since views tend to vary widely across regions.
I believe that Oregonians, not politicians, should determine who has the right to carry within the state.

Thank you, again, for sharing your thoughts with me, and please continue to keep me informed about the issues that matter most to you.

All my best, Jeff Merkley
United States Senate

Isn't that exactly what he and others are doing?

They read me his position statement on this. It went like this roughly.......Senator Merkley is against the reciprocity amendment because he does not think it would be safe or Oregonians to have unqualified individuals from states that do not have concealed laws as stringent as Oregon's.......blah, blah, blah........hmmmmmm...........

I waited for this man to be done reading the press release and was dumbfounded. I asked......"do you realize Oregon has some of the most Liberal laws with respect to concealed carry?" Not that I mind, I wish there no concealed carry requirements at all

Wasn't this guy an Oregon State Senator or Rep? Shouldn't he know our laws? Shouldn't this better help him make decisions that are beneficial to our State?

I can answer that, NO, he's a Democratic Party Schill........

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top