JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mmmm, yes. Cyclists good! Motorists BAAAAAD!

Yeah, don't take that wrong. I see jerk cyclists all over PDX, every day. And PDX has extremely high numbers of incredibly rude and/or stupid drivers. Just another article driving people to petition big brother to slow traffic further, and build more bicycle infrastructure where cars once ran slowing car traffic even more.
with pedestrians first.

Maybe instead of slowing traffic to a crawl, wasting fuel, polluting the air, we should suggest pedestrians look before they cross? It must be an old fashion idea? To look before you step into the street?

Yeah, don't take that wrong. I see jerk cyclists all over PDX, every day. And PDX has extremely high numbers of incredibly rude and/or stupid drivers. Just another article driving people to petition big brother to slow traffic further, and build more bicycle infrastructure where cars once ran slowing car traffic even more.

Maybe instead of slowing traffic to a crawl, wasting fuel, polluting the air, we should suggest pedestrians look before they cross? It must be an old fashion idea? To look before you step into the street?

Haha! No offense taken at all. In fact I agree with everything you say above. As a cyclist I see nothing but other cyclists running stop signs and being aggressive to drivers. Growing up in NYC, this was something I knew NOT to do - from seeing too many accidents involving ruffian bike messengers colliding with suits in the sidewalk. NYPD would have it out with them.

Might be hard for anyone who's dealt with an aggressive / stop-sign running cyclist to believe, but I am not one of those cyclists who acts like I am in a car. I make it a point that we see each other's eyes if you're driving, and I will signal / yield / stop / proceed as if am I car. Most importantly, I maintain a safe distance and am highly visible. (YMMV: I have been riding a bike for my entire life, and have been hit twice regardless of this - once in Portland.)

Being all three - pedestrian, cyclist, and driver - I have learned to be extremely conscious of my surroundings. I have witnessed more car accidents here than in my entire life living elsewhere. The city's bicycle infrastructure is overzealous to be put lightly - e.g reducing a two lane/high traffic road, putting massive lanes that a car AND a bicycle could easily fit in.

Cannot stress the pedestrian awareness comment you made more. I don't know what will fix this, other than placing crosswalks on increasingly busy streets. Which slows traffic. Case in point - why I chose not to lease this year.

This is one reason why I stopped riding, especially on public roads. Too many idiots.

The other reason was because of my back.

Sorry to hear about this as I can relate - I have a terrible back - but cycling is less impactful for me than running. I also commute via bike, so I'm not really left with a choice unless I'm renting a car. I live in SE and do not drive, as I decided not to lease this year. The presence of idiots on the road AND on the bike is increasing with the amount of traffic.

Just curious...are you planning to shoot Mercedes drivers with your fully cerekoted piece before or after they run you down? o_O

That's just a silly question - y'all know the answer to :D All I am saying is having a piece is better than nothing on the bike. I'm not willing to give up my love of the outdoors just because of some idiot drivers, as nobody should.

As a recently quit being a cyclist, (bad shoulders) I carried my G19, massively hot pepper spray, and big, fixed blade knife - not for motorists, but if I went down from dog attack.

I cycled a minimum of 25 miles in the country and it was a rare day I wasn't attacked by unsecured dogs. Big, dangerous dogs. Little yappers I didn't worry about...

I bought Freeze Plus P pepper spray by the case and carried Sudecon decontamination wipes, cuz if I happened to get some blow back after spraying I be very glad I had the wipes and not suffer.

This spray is so hot, even on unblemished skin it would feel blow-torched if I came into contact with even the slightest exposure.

My biggest concern with motorists was distracted texters and angry dog owners because I would spray their dogs if attacked. I didn't blame the poor dog, I blamed the owners, but I sure wasn't going to act passive if attacked. Some obviously thought I should simply let their dogs trip me off my bike and attack - never happened and I rode for years and years.

My cycling 2 cents...

Just curious...are you planning to shoot Mercedes drivers with your fully cerekoted piece before or after they run you down? o_O

I've had drivers stop and get out of their cars and start fights - physical fights, not verbal. With my current age and health, that is when I would shoot them if I had to - hypothetically - if I still rode.

My FIL was known in the West Salem hills as one of those drivers who liked to run bicyclists off the road. He was a real anal orifice in more ways than one.

I don't drive a Mercedes.. but I dislike bicyclists.

I drive a Mercedes and I generally dislike bi-cyclists.... but what's worse are the pedestrians just standing on the corner looking at their frakin' phone 15-20 seconds into the light cycle, THEN they decide to start crossing just as you move to take a right around the corner is outright a shootin' offense, IMNSHO. o_O

;):D

Bicyclists need their own, dedicated streets far, far away from the rest of us. Shoot, I've seen two wheeled idiots rear end stopped vehicles. I mean, seriously. They're an extreme hazard.

I fully agree they should look both ways and I would like to remind them that's not just up and down. :D In kindergarten many years ago I was told to walk on the right side facing traffic. The right side is the correct side, the left side is suicide. Old fashioned ideas stand the test of time. :)
we should suggest pedestrians look before they cross? It must be an old fashion idea? To look before you step into the street?

I drive a Mercedes and I generally dislike bi-cyclists.... but what's worse are the pedestrians just standing on the corner looking at their frakin' phone 15-20 seconds into the light cycle, THEN they decide to start crossing just as you move to take a right around the corner is outright a shootin' offense, IMNSHO. o_O

;):D

This^^. And the people that just slooowwwly strooolllll across the intersection, maybe looking right at you, as you and eight other cars are waiting to turn right. That is one of my biggest peeves. I have to wonder if those people block grocery store isles without a second thought? If I'm crossing a street at a light, or anywhere for that matter, I hustle if there are people that need to go one their way.

Wifey, and now me, get so sick of stuff like this in stores and such that we just start repeating "Peripheral Vision" out loud.

What the hell is the matter with people? When we're all jammed in together we're supposed to work together!

I drive Dump Truck and Pup trailer I used to race bicycles as a young guy. And with a certainty a large percentage of the Bike rides I see now days either have a death wish or are so careless as to taunt death constantly. And if you are any where near a college they are scarry stupid about how they ride. Corvallis is a nightmare. No way will contacting my truck turn out well for a bike rider.

I've had drivers stop and get out of their cars and start fights - physical fights, not verbal. With my current age and health, that is when I would shoot them if I had to - hypothetically - if I still rode.

My FIL was known in the West Salem hills as one of those drivers who liked to run bicyclists off the road. He was a real anal orifice in more ways than one.
Let me get this straight.... your father in law was actually known by many in the public to run bike riders off the road?
Lol!!!!!!!
That guy needs his face caved in.
My best buds dad back in the day would target Asians. Loved running them off the road. He hated the Asians.

As cyclist I follow the rules when riding (hand signals, etc.) and I have yelled at other cyclists that blow thru stop signs telling them that they give us a bad reputation. Some of them just smile a keep riding.... :mad:

Bicycles don't belong on the road with motorized vehicles. Period.

And let me state that I was a sponsored cross-country mountain bike racer when I was a LOT younger.

Let me get this straight.... your father in law was actually known by many in the public to run bike riders off the road?
Lol!!!!!!!
That guy needs his face caved in.

He was known by the bike riders - I saw posts online.

That was the least of his crimes. He was also a child molester as was his son (who is in prison for 50 years for molesting his daughter).

He eventually killed himself, more or less; refused medical treatment and died from liver disease. He was then cremated - I think it was because he knew how many people (including myself) would like to crap on his grave.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top