JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey, guys, help me out here. Our new man is giving me the rubber chicken. Do people REALLY get all hissy about a man who is/was a pastor and a hospital chaplain? What's that about? I thought that both calling and occupation were respectable, praiseworthy, even. But shunning?

I used to be a steely-eyed, lantern-jawed killer in a previous life - legally, of course - I don't get shunned or whatever it is that people do to other people with whom they have grief and I was professionally unpleasant in a major manner.
It's probably because there are a lot of different sects of christianity in the US thanks to religous exiling and the American Reformation, and not one of them likes to be persuaded from their own flavor. There's a lot of tension between different faiths, like how some protestants deny that catholics are also christians. Sometimes it's hard for people here to look at religion in an objective way in the US, even atheists often times behave like zealots.
So despite character, some are judged by others for their religous beliefs.

I'm a nihilist, and most people think that makes me immoral... and maybe I am! :D:oops::p
Honestly all nihilism really means is that I don't have faith and believe only in what can be proven. Although to attain true nihilism is a social impossibility; for instance, I have to have faith the bank will hold my money and my employer will put my earnings there. ;)

@G8rHunter you seem like an alright guy, mind if my pop's and I sign up for the same class? It would be nice to know we aren't the only adults just now getting into the sport. :)

A friend of mine, coincidently also an MD, had zero experience shooting.

She, though wanting me to teach her about shooting, got kinda eye rolling pissed at me, as I gave her a brief safety lesson. She was quite impatient to get to the shooting...

So, briefing accomplished, I carefully handed her my Glock 19 (with one round in the magazine) the first thing she does is put her index finger on the trigger. Sheesh! Not doing this was discussed prior ad nauseam.

She kept doing it.

Finally, after patient admonishing, I finally had to scold her and only then did she stop fingering the trigger.

Then I advised her to chamber a round. I had shown her how to do so during my safety brief.

...and prayed.

She did well...

So mentor lesson 1: Keep your finger off the trigger until aiming and ready to press it.

A trigger is NOT a finger resting place!

This bit of safety applies to ALL firearms, pistol, rifle, shotgun.

A trigger is NOT a finger resting place!
I can relate, as I recently went to an indoor range with a friend using a multiplicity of firearms. One was a .40 caliber revolver, and he warned me about getting my hand injured if I held it improperly. Holding and firing that gun was totally different from firing my brother's .380 or even his 9mm automatic.

Hey, guys, help me out here. Our new man is giving me the rubber chicken. Do people REALLY get all hissy about a man who is/was a pastor and a hospital chaplain? What's that about? I thought that both calling and occupation were respectable, praiseworthy, even. But shunning?

I used to be a steely-eyed, lantern-jawed killer in a previous life - legally, of course - I don't get shunned or whatever it is that people do to other people with whom they have grief and I was professionally unpleasant in a major manner.

My analysis is that he is probably a self-deprecating individual. I took his comment as humor. However, there ARE a very few atheists here that like to give believers bunk... seems to be part of their schtick.

I don't have faith and believe only in what can be proven.

Yes you do, more than you admit. Aaaaand, nothing can be proven, there are no facts, only opinions and theories. Besides, existentially we are all just the dream of an ant in a hive deep in Mars.

Nihilists... part of the Post-Defamation movement right? :p;)

My analysis is that he is probably a self-deprecating individual. I took his comment as humor. However, there ARE a very few atheists here that like to give believers bunk... seems to be part of their schtick.
I want enter into a debate on religion, and it was clear that he was blowing smoke up my rear. So, I mostly ignored it. I am a human being first. My identity is not about my job, so trying to question my past gets left there! I am actually more tolerant of sinners, because I am one too! I despise self-righteous people, and there are a lot of those who dwell in buildings; and they would have a great deal to gossip about because I associate with those they frown on!

BTW, a 22" barrel is not great for wingshooting or traditional trap as opposed to home defense, turkey, or deer. If you intend to shoot waterforwl or pheasant, and you can afford it, you may wish to purchase an extra barrel of 28" with interchangeable chokes.
The reason I went with the 22" vs other lengths was due to the fit. I have torn my rotator cuff three times and my shoulders were not happy with longer barrels. The shotgun felt like an natural extension of me, and I was told that being comfortable with a gun has more to do with hitting targets. It may be that the shorter barrel will limit my length of range. I have read that longer barrels effect swing, so maybe I won't do well with trap; but I will see soon enough!

Yes you do, more than you admit. Aaaaand, nothing can be proven, there are no facts, only opinions and theories. Besides, existentially we are all just the dream of an ant in a hive deep in Mars.
Totally agree with you, Bass! Anyone who says they are a non-believer isn't being truthful! All of us have faith in something, or we wouldn't go out and shoot our guns. I am a complete believer in my 12 gauge to tear up a home intruder! I don't want to kill his butt, I want to hear him ask the stupid question, why did you to shoot me?

The reason I went with the 22" vs other lengths was due to the fit. I have torn my rotator cuff three times and my shoulders were not happy with longer barrels. The shotgun felt like an natural extension of me, and I was told that being comfortable with a gun has more to do with hitting targets. It may be that the shorter barrel will limit my length of range. I have read that longer barrels effect swing, so maybe I won't do well with trap; but I will see soon enough!

Ah.

Barrel length does have a "modest" effect on range. But with the right choke in your barrel, you could still do well on Upland Game and wabbits. Can you tell me if you have interchangeable chokes for your shotty? I'm under the impression it was sold as a deer hunting or self-defense model, in which case there may be no choke or only and Improved Cylinder choke.

Nihilists... part of the Post-Defamation movement right? :p;)
Well yeah, but I can't really admit that now can I! LoL
And I still don't believe it!

Whatever floats your boat! :) Come on down, you're the next contestant on the Price Is Right!
A nihilist and a pastor go shooting... almost like the start of a joke! ;)
Ya seem like a good guy to me, and that's all that really matters.

Given, I've put a few on the 'ignore this member - to difficult to read list' I haven't read any of the venomous posts.

Another good reason to use it.

Good for your blood pressure and general well being.

Given, I've put a few on the 'ignore this member - to difficult to read list' I haven't read any of the venomous posts.

Another good reason to use it.

Good for your blood pressure and general well being.
How is this post supposed to be anything accept provocative? And are you really ignoring somebody by drawing attention to them?

PS: you could at least offer good will towards the OP.

Oliver Cromwell was a 'man of God' - he said so. And to prove it, he prayed before every battle - two prayers, in fact.

1. 'O Lord, thou knowest that I must be about my business this day. If I forget thee, do not thou forget me.'

2. 'Put thy trust in thy sword, and thy sword in thine enemy.'

Somebody else remarked that 'there are no athiests in foxholes'.

That's MY religious contribution to the forum for now, and the foreseeable future.

And now, viewers, we return to guns......

I am a complete believer in my 12 gauge to tear up a home intruder! I don't want to kill his butt, I want to hear him ask the stupid question, why did you to shoot me?

Four "other things" to remember...

Handguns will put holes in people.

Rifles will put holes through people.

Shotguns will shred & tear apart people.

"Why did you shoot me?", when asked by a home intruder is often followed up by, "I'm suing you!".... do the math.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top