JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new shotgun and could benefit from someone mentoring me. I am 62 years old and am interested in outdoor target practice, trying clay targets, and hunting in general. I would be interested in spring hunting and learning the best ammunition for whatever I hunt. Although I am safety conscious, I am sure that a seasoned hunter would help me with implementing even better safety precautions. For sure, I am unaware of just how much orange to wear to avoid being shot. I am right-handed but left-eye dominant, so I shoot left-handed. I would not mind learning to shoot right-handed if that's feasible. I live in Happy Valley and have been to Wildcat already. I have learned about a few other outdoor targets (both east and west side), and I'm interested in checking out Miller's quarry. I am not sure if Old Maid is open or closed. Here I am last weekend with my Mossberg 930 JM Pro: FB_IMG_1549910386654.jpg

I have a new shotgun and could benefit from someone mentoring me. I am 62 years old and am interested in outdoor target practice, trying clay targets, and hunting in general. I would be interested in spring hunting and learning the best ammunition for whatever I hunt. Although I am safety conscious, I am sure that a seasoned hunter would help me with implementing even better safety precautions. For sure, I am unaware of just how much orange to wear to avoid being shot. I am right-handed but left-eye dominant, so I shoot left-handed. I would not mind learning to shoot right-handed if that's feasible. I live in Happy Valley and have been to Wildcat already. I have learned about a few other outdoor targets (both east and west side), and I'm interested in checking out Miller's quarry. I am not sure if Old Maid is open or closed. Here I am last weekend with my Mossberg 930 JM Pro: View attachment 548324

First I am not sure if I welcomed you to the group here, so welcome:D.

Second, perhaps it would make it easier to find somebody to help you if they knew your background in firearms use.
Finding people to go shooting with that are new and not used to it you can be interesting. I know I've had some very interesting interactions with people that I did not know, usually it revolved around safety and their lack of that knowledge. I am not hinting at all that you are not knowledgeable about safety. But perhaps letting people know your background in firearms we help people feel more comfortable about approaching you in this.. If it is limited and you do not have a lot of experience in firearms. Perhaps somebody here can recommend a safety class in your area? It's a big key issue that I've seen with people especially when shooting with new gun owners is safety. So maybe assuring people the process you are taking or have taken may help. And again welcome to the group.

I must say I have very little experience with guns. Most would probably figure that out real quick if I was not transparent anyway. I love the sport of shooting, but I did not figure that out until after I retired. For work, I was a pastor and hospital chaplain. Most people perhaps would shun me for my prior professions, but I am human and very tolerant of cussing. I prefer not to discuss religion or politics. Politically, I am from the south and quite conservative. I respect differing view points but have no desire to discuss things. Hell, I am there to hunt not scare the wildlife into four counties. I decided to get a shotgun for home defense and use it for target practice and hunting. My plan is to go to the Portland Gun Club near me and take their new shooter clinic. It's a modest $10 fee that teaches gun safety and guarantees to teach successful trap shooting. Kelly Whitlock, a former President of the gun club, is the instructor. I will ask him if he has any recommendations (for safety classes) when I see him in a week. I would love to participate this spring in turkey and deer hunting but doubtful I would try on my own. I have done a ton of reading, and turkey hunting sounds real difficult. I understand my 22" barrel works for turkey. As far as deer goes, I will find out if my shotgun shoots slugs well in practice. I have a smooth bore, so I know to avoid sabots. I have a great deal of passion and wish to direct it into hunting. I have just about every degree known to man. If you are familiar with Lonesome Dove, Gus said, "I would love to have the chance to shoot an educated man at least once in my life." That would be me! I am not an intellectual but, instead, very down to earth. Finally, I read on the ODFW of a "take a friend hunting" program and that's what I'm hoping--someone will take me on as a project to mentor. I may have quite a bit of book learning, but I don't know a damn thing about guns or hunting; but I want to learn!

Portland Gun club, on like 148th near burnside or something, has a class on the last Thursday of every month. The best place near you would be Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, and they probably have a class too. DRRC is out on HWY224 near Barton, and will take care of all your range needs.
I've been meaning to find the time to get into this myself. Good luck!

Most people perhaps would shun me for my prior professions,

Would you care to enlarge on that statement for a furriner who hasn't the faintest idea what you mean? I bleeve you wrote that you were pastor and hospital chaplain, rather than a tri-sexual necrophiliac and newt fondler.

Is there something awful that I'm missing here about the meanings of the words 'pastor' and 'hospital chaplain'?

Ok, seriously reverend, if you want to get into shooting and truly enjoy it find yourself a good cheap little 22 rifle. I'm only speaking for myself but its my belief that is how most here started out. Its cheap, theres very little recoil, ammo is plentiful and cheap, theres a wider variety of "non-formal" places you can go shooting and I shudder to suggest start killing some of gods little creatures. Birds, squirrels etc. He knows why yer doin it, certainly not for the simple pleasure of killing but for the "betterment" of yourself on several different levels. I'm your E-mentor and this is a valid statement. How do you feel about this?

Glad you are going to take a basic safety and trap class. Please be sure to discuss cross-dominance with the trap instructor. I'm a lifetime shotgunner and have some opinions on that, but I wouldn't want to get sideways with what a "real" instructor might tell you. Let me just say this... wingshooting, clays, or rabbit shooting, as opposed to stationary turkey or deer, is best done with both eyes open. If you close one eye on a crossing target, you would be putting yourself at a serious disadvantage.

Additionally, the above mentioned shooting/hunting is primarily instinctual, which I also believe is best done with both eyes open. You may be aware, that shotgun technique for a moving target is traditionally done via a swinging, or even a swing-thru motion that continues moving the shotgun during and after pulling the trigger. There are a very few people that I know that shoot a shotgun like a rifle, meaning they stop the movement of the shotgun when they pull the trigger, that also shoot well. There are those that are such great rifle snap shots on a moving target that they can do that and it works out fine for them. IMO, for those w/o much rifle experience it would be best to start shotgunning with a traditional technique. Now you are going to read 70 opinions that say it isn't so. That's ok.

As for whether to shoot right or left... it doesn't really matter on stationary game. However, when shooting instinctively at moving game or targets, try to do what feels best and see how it works out. Your learning is going to take some experimentation, hang in there.

We don't do much shotgun deer hunting in Oregon. Not sure what the regs say but many shots will be at distances longer than 100yds, the feasible limit of a slug. BTW, with a smooth bore I think you do want sabots to spin the slug for stabilization, yes? Oh and I don't know of any spring deer season.

Take a Hunter Safety Course which will give you a lot more training on safety in the field vs what you will learn for trap. I wouldn't go with you if you didn't have it.

IMO, most guys that would even consider taking a total newbie out hunting would want to shoot with you in a "safe" setting first, ie a range. I know I would. I don't shoot with anybody that is not safe.

Hope this is helpful. Best wishes for your new hobby!!!

BTW, a 22" barrel is not great for wingshooting or traditional trap as opposed to home defense, turkey, or deer. If you intend to shoot waterforwl or pheasant, and you can afford it, you may wish to purchase an extra barrel of 28" with interchangeable chokes.

Last Edited:
Is there something awful that I'm missing here about the meanings of the words 'pastor' and 'hospital chaplain'?
Someone encouraged me to share something about myself, so those are my past vocations. I'm not into organized religion, so no one has to treat me like an infectious disease. LOL

IMO, most guys that would even consider taking a total newbie out hunting would want to shoot with you in a "safe" setting first, ie a range. I know I would. I don't shoot with anybody that is not safe.
Holy moly, batman or is it bass man? Great suggestions, and no wonder nobody is giving me an invite to the field! I NEED THAT SAFETY COURSE! :)

Holy moly, batman or is it bass man? Great suggestions, and no wonder nobody is giving me an invite to the field! I NEED THAT SAFETY COURSE! :)

:D

Either name works fine. I'm also a lifelong bass fisherman, and I sing bass in Community Choir and Barbershop Quartet and Chorus. I'm a late bloomer like you, I didn't sing a lick until I was 45yrs old... long story.

Either name works fine. I'm also a lifelong bass fisherman, and I sing bass in Community Choir and Barbershop Quartet and Chorus. I'm a late bloomer like you, I didn't sing a lick until I was 45yrs old... long story.
I had two uncles who sang barbershop, so I've been exposed to that style. There's nothing like it! Wow, bass, I can't get that low! :) I am more of a baritone.

I had two uncles who sang barbershop, so I've been exposed to that style. There's nothing like it! Wow, bass, I can't get that low! :) I am more of a baritone.

LOL, I'm a baritone voice that sings bass. Can't go real low either, and not smart or trained enough to sing all the weird notes that barbershop baritones sing. Wish you were closer, I'd have you over to listen to my quartet. I LOVE harmony!!

Hey, guys, help me out here. Our new man is giving me the rubber chicken. Do people REALLY get all hissy about a man who is/was a pastor and a hospital chaplain? What's that about? I thought that both calling and occupation were respectable, praiseworthy, even. But shunning?

I used to be a steely-eyed, lantern-jawed killer in a previous life - legally, of course - I don't get shunned or whatever it is that people do to other people with whom they have grief and I was professionally unpleasant in a major manner.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top