JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a thread to remember those who have perished in military service. The goal is to share the names, photos, and memories of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

Please direct unrelated commentary and politics to some other thread in order to be respectful of the dead.

Lest We Forget!

Memorial-Salute-640x400.jpg

SFC.Louis Buckley JR.
21May1966 SVN
He is the soldier on my POW / MIA Bracelet.
Just after swearing into the Army...I stopped by our local VFW Hall and got this bracelet.
I have never taken it off...I do hope to present or send it his family if he is ever found.

Something to consider is that everyday is Memorial Day for some families in America.
Andy

This isn't really thread compliant as the person in question is still alive so if this veers to far from the OPs intent please feel to delete this.

I met 2nd LT. Edwards as a transfer to 1/7 in scenic 29 Palms, Ca. (home of the Lake Bandini swim team).

He was a boot bubblegum LT and I was an experienced Corporal with a whopping 5 years under my belt. I had no experience with a 2nd LT as all of my previous platoon commanders were Captains (weird command structure) so this was a novel experience.

It turns out that he was one of the good ones. He listened to his platoon sergeant and squad leaders (I lead 2nd squad) and adjusted as needed. No heavy hand.

One fascinating stupid that I recall was during our CAX pre-deployment was the LT. calling out directions by telling me by the "brown rock"

There are a ton of "brown rocks" out there in the Mojave.

I got out in '94. I stayed in touch with some Jarheads from my first command. J was one of those pigs went army, got commissioned and ended up in the 173rd, I hope that is OK nomenclature for you army folks.

J sent me an email telling me about how he was sitting around someplace in the 'stan and started talking to this jughead and of course history and places of the past come up. They were both embedded with a MTT (hope I got that right), come to find out that they both know me from different times an places. Boot assed 2nd LT. Edwards is now LtCol. Edwards... Not to shabby for a slow talking Southern boy!

Jump forward in time and I get an email from J telling me that the LtCol was involved in an ambush and jumped of the vehicle to help in defense of the convoy.

He received a bullet in the gourd.

He lives today, but severely paralyzed. I still wonder why there wasn't a field expedient Corporal around.

He gets my respect on this Memorial day.

J died a few years ago raising cattle in the Midwest...

Vietnam Wall

-- --
My family is blessed in that all of my grand's, father, uncles, cousin's, nephews, and my daughter all came home.

A neighbor is a Gold Star Family - some part of this war on Terror.

Another neighbor has a severly injured son also from the WoT. How do we recognize this sacrifice, which is on-going?

A few have PNW ties. I feel honored to have known them.

03MAY2007 Coby Schwab
03MAY2007 Kelly Grothe
27APR2007 William Callahan
27APR2007 Petter Woodall
08FEB2007 Ross Clevenger
08FEB2007 James Holtom
08FEB2007 Raymond Werner
….

Here's to all that gave their lives in service to The United States of America!!!!

But especially to my co-worker AD3 Roger Stephenson who died during a night rescue mission in Mexican waters when a rogue wave destroyed the H3F helo as it descended to establish a hover for hoisting in 1979. The co-pilot and Flight Mechanic died when the helo flipped with the aft section cut off and open to the sea, the pilot and the Radio/navigator were rescued by another helo that was sent.
Description of the incident:
"During a SAR mission for a motor vessel reported aground the helicopter impacted the water at the bottom of a precision approach to a controlled hover (PATCH). The aircraft rolled and inverted, but remained afloat. Only two crewmembers escaped."

And my good buddy AM1 Scott Finfrock was found deceased/froze in his life raft the next day after Coast Guard helo 1471 went down for unknown reasons during a night rescue in hurricane force winds and heavy seas in Prince Wiliam Sound off the Alaska coast. "In the early morning hours of August 7, 1981 the crew of the Coast Guard HH-3F helicopter #1471 from Air Station Kodiak sacrificed their lives while going to the aid of another." A 26' gill netter was taking on water. But the rescue could not be done. This is a painting depicting that rescue attempt:

1622301486503-png.png

I miss you my Brothers!!!

In Memorium

1622301652330-png.png

And my friend and fellow NWFA member David Wright USAF ParaRescue

1622301842060-png.png

1622302465878.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show