JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
@Howard1955 's post in POTD got me to thinking about teachers and I decided we should have a thread to remember some of them, good or bad.

Dr. Mike Greenwood, Math teacher, Clark college - He didn't take attendance and he didn't assign homework. He treated his students as adults and expected them to find their way to class and to do what work was necessary to learn the lessons. Your grade was based on four tests throughout the semester and a final. If you knew the material you did well. He taught well and was always open to help you if you asked. I aced every class but his and that B was worth more to me than all the rest.

My high school language arts teacher MrWheeler was a memorable one...
Had his own brand of "the far side" like cartoon pictures all over the classroom, and a Robin Williamsesque sense of humor.
Kept things interesting. Wish my history teachers were as fun...maybe Ida found my passion for history before I was long graduated. Maybe used the knowledge and writing skills to pen a book or two.
Instead they were all very dry and obviously counting down the years to retirement.

Ms. Perry, eclectic lady, I think she failed me just to have my company.

Mr. Conroy, Olympic weightlifter biology teacher. Refused to wear deodorant for health reasons.

Mr. Wilder, welding/ag teacher. Hell of a guy.

Mr. Grove brothers, video tech and shop. Nice guys and the one who taught shop was a true craftsman, new yankee workshop caliber craftsman.

One day I'll visit my high school to reconnect with these folks.

Mr Cadd:eek:. JH PE teacher . He had the 1" thick board with holes in it for swats. That thing got your attention.:D

Last Edited:
Mr. Bob Hannah - HS English/Comp & Mythology teacher.... kinda "welcome back Kotter". Wasn't interested in the subjects, but I wound up taking progressively advanced courses all through HS. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure he tricked me into doing that... LOL

Mr. Paul Cook- HS metal shop, because of him, I took the skills I learned and earn a good living today (now in my 50's).

Mr. Joe Peske- Vice Principle (of discipline), who didn't suspend me for outright punching the sheite out of a jerk who had been egging me on all week... he did make me feel the goose-egg I left on the kid's head though... LOL

Mr. Balzer- HS Architecture, inspired me to not only think outside the box, but actually "do" outside the box.

These following three guys taught me some serious skills and are why I survived my late teens and early 20's (and why I'm still alive today)... teachers they surely were.

SFC Fred (Sasquatch) Rodgers- my Army Drill Sgt. He made you feel as dumb as a brick most of the time, but in a good way. The lessons I latter realized he taught me were why I became a Drill Sgt years later.

SFC Larry Kaylor- my first permanent party Platoon Sgt. He was a crusty, chain-smoking, hardass, Vietnam vet. We would have burned down the whole planet for him. We called ourselves "Kaylor's Commandos".

SSG Joseph Shinskie- my first permanent party squad leader. Cantankerous, funny as hell, focused, and made us physically (and mentally) train until we puked sideways.

Everything else after that is just a blur... more or less.

Hm. I remember almost all of my teachers from K-12. I could not name any of my college professors, tho I remember one's lessons.

The ones who made the most lasting impacts on me, in no particular order

Mr. Domes - my tech and drafting teacher in high school. His instruction helped me land a few techy jobs in my younger days and helped me look at things in a more analytical way. He was also paranoid about software piracy and told us the janitor may be an FBI agent :D I have a sneaky suspicion he was a good conservative, tho he never talked politics or religion in class.

Mr. Bowen - one of my high school english teachers. He was a strong Christian man who was one of the most well read men I have ever met. Had some wild stories about growing up in Idaho as the son of a lawman. He and another helped me fare far better in college level english and literature classes than I ever expected.

Mr Pease - my AP english teacher in high school. Eternal bachelor, world traveller, strange sense of humor. Looked like a tiny Patrick Stewart. He was damn tough academically, I was a C student in his class, but because he was so damn tough, I wound up with A's in college english / literatire classes. He also didn't tolerate nodding off. More than once he would sneak up on the dozing student and drop his teachers edition text book on the kid's desk.

Mr Coleman - math teacher from both Jr high and high school, plus yearbook advisor. Only teacher I ever had that mentioned Oregon law allowing concealed carry on school campuses in a positive or neutral light, esp after the crap in Springfield and Columbine. He was not afraid to embaress you if you did something retarded, like the kid who pulled his giggle stick out to show a girl sitting next to him. Coleman walked over, slapped a metal ruler on the desk and asked if he was going to tell how big it was. :confused:

Mr. Guisick (RIP) - jr high PE coach. First teacher I ever heard drop an F bomb in class (happened to be during the first fight I ever got in in school as he charged across the gym "WTF are you two doing?!?") - guy was 6'6" with a burly beard and covered in hair. He looked like Sasquatch in gym shorts. His daughter, one year ahead of me, was smoking hot. He talked a lot about bass fishing too.

Mr Swanson my 7th grade homeroom / social studies teacher. Grateful Dead uberfan. Taught us to tune out a lot of the negativity from people. Drove a VW microbus with different color hub caps on each wheel. Wore a shirt & tie 4 days a week, tie dye t shirt and overalls every friday.

Mr Kulwicki the shop teacher - taught us how to avoid cutting off our hands & fingers with band saws and table saws :D

Mrs. Rodriguez, Spanish 1 & 2. My gawd was she hot. Late 20's and absolutely gorgeous. She looked like a cross between Yanet Garcia and Jessica Alba. Drove us 7th & 8th grade boys crazy with her rolling Rrrrrr's. LOL.

Other than that, I wasn't really inspired by any of my teachers. I was inspired from my dad, grandpa, uncles and scout leaders.

Mr. Otto. High School Industrial Arts teacher. Slide rules. Drafting tables. Industrial pencils. We actually progressed to workable industrial blue prints. He kept our attention during the 35 MM color slide show presentations by sometimes quickly flashing topless girl slides. Much fun. Hard work. This would have been about in 1965. No computers yet.

Great thread, @Lilhigbee !
Copious nostalgia up in here.
Thanks to @Howard1955 for the inspiration.

I forgot an important one. Mr. Allman, biology. Loved fish, fishing, anything to do with fish. I'd honestly say we were friends. Sophomore year he yanked one of the many jocks who was beating me up good, off me.

Good times, thanks to @Stomper 's comment that reminded me of that little tidbit!

Thanks for making this thread, @Lilhigbee.

Here is Mr. Baten, a 7th & 8th grade history teacher in Silsbee, Texas in 1969.

His classroom was on the second floor of an old building that had no air conditioning. He often smoked that pipe. Gave me headaches.

He seemed able to hear the boys whispering in the back row, but had a "bad ear" when the girls needed to speak with him. He'd put his arm around a girl, and pull them in close - so he could hear them, of course...

A very memorable man. A great storyteller who could keep our attention. He wouldn't have lasted a week in today's PC culture.

C07F2194-523E-433B-856B-F1F182FA0F6F.jpeg

Mrs. Mary Krueger - Sunrise Elementary - Albany, Oregon. There was never a frown on her face the entire school year. Mrs. Kreuger knew how to motivate, encourage and reward students in such a way as to not have the other students feel slighted. In fact, she taught me a lot about enjoying other people's success and how to be grateful for my own.

Years after I had finished school and completed my military service I returned to Albany and found she was still with us. Out of the blue I stopped at her house and knocked on the door. She opened it, looked at me and said, "Michael! It is good to see you after all this time. Come in, please."

I don't know how many students Mary had in her classroom over the years - I am sure it was in the thousands - but I was floored and flattered she would remember me. Much as she had done in the many years past, I left Mary Krueger that day with a smile on my face.

My first great Teacher was Mrs. seltzer in Middle School.
I was a huge class clown, I was a really funny kid and always had a come back, and one liners. She thought I was funny, she would pause class and let me be a clown. She actually encouraged me to be funny and told me I should be a comedian or actor.
I still credit her for me not following a bad path.
I was a clown. I used it to hide my own problems.

She was one of those teachers who truly cared and envouraged lost causes like me.

Then in High School I had this teacher for a sports class and he was my math teacher. Which was bad.
He was also the football and wrestling coach.
Again, class clown.
He was a scary MFer. He would get this huge crap eatin grin and I knew I was screwed.
I did a lot of push ups in class. Even math class. If I disrupted class, I was pushing em out.
One class he made me do 200 pushups.
And I knew I owed him every one or I was screwed.

He was the only teacher I saw hit a student.
This big kid was picking on other kids, so he decided to show us some wrestling in some sports class.
He had this kid get down on all fours and cross checked him so hard the spit flew out of his mouth. That kid didn't say crap for the whole week.

And my middle school asst Principle.
Mr. Sorry. I practically had my own chair in the principles office.
He got to know me and knew I didn't mean any harm. He let me off easily.....daily.

My blind, 9th grade Japanese English teacher.

She couldn't see the mexican kid in the back row who spent class time capping mescaline.

There was always Mr Fiser who had sex with all the seniors on the high school volleyball team in the english room.

He went to prison.

Had a teacher like that. Lots of my female friends said he'd grab asses, hit on em. Dude married one of his students right after she graduated. They immediately started having kids. He never got charged, but probably should have.

I only hope to be a positive and memorable teacher to my students.
Comments like those in the posts above , remind me that every encounter I have can leave a lasting impact.
It doesn't cost you a thing to be kind to others , your kindness , may be the only kindness , that person receives that day.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads