JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Members please read Rule 16:

16. No member is to create or use more than one account.

No member is to have more than one account. No member is allowed to use the account of another member for any purpose. We're having a serious issue with people creating secondary accounts in order to bump threads, generate interest in a topic or item, create false trade ratings, and for other nefarious purposes.

Penalty: 10 points

When a member is found to using a duplicate account they will be banned for 7 days for the first infraction. The member will be permanently banned for the second penalty.

This rule has become necessary because members have been creating new accounts to bump their Ads to get around the 7 day bump rule.

Sockpuppets are one of the rudest offenses a member can commit against an online community

Sockpuppet

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception within an online community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks with or about himself or herself, pretending to be a different person,[1] like a ventriloquist manipulating a hand puppet.

In current usage, the perception of the term has been extended beyond second identities of people who already post in a forum to include other uses of misleading online identities. For example, a NY Times article claims that "sock-puppeting" is defined as "the act of creating a fake online identity to praise, defend or create the illusion of support for one’s self, allies or company."[2]

The key difference between a sockpuppet and a regular pseudonym (sometimes termed an "alt" which is short for alternate, as in alternate identity) is the pretense that the puppet is a third party who is not affiliated with the puppeteer or acting under their control for their benefit.

The earliest known[1] usage of the term was on July 9, 1993 by Dana Rollins in a posting to bit.listserv.fnord-l,[3] but the term was not in common usage in USENET groups until 1996.

Hey Trlsmn, I've got to agree with intoodeep, the laughing part, don't know why but it caught me off guard...sockpuppet indeed!

On a serious note, most of the people here abide by the rules and for someone to take advantage of an anonymous forum for nefarious/missleading purposes...banned!:s0026:

Will

Yeah, but there is something about the image of someone having a serious conversation with this guy while trying to impress everyone that makes me snicker.

Member: Hey everyone, I have this Jennings for sale only $650!

Sock_Puppet_2_small-210x240.jpg
Sockpuppet: Wow! That's a great price!

Member: Yeah, but I need to sell it fast!

Sock_Puppet_3_small-214x251.jpg
Sockpuppet: Dang! I WISH I had the money...

*crickets*

Sock_Puppet_1_small-271x283.jpg
Sockpuppet: Is this still available?

I always called them Troll accounts.
But a troll is different. That's someone, perhaps just one, not multiples, saying provocative things just to stir up trouble then sit back and watch for entertainment value.

Derives not from 'trolling for fish' but that nasty troll that lives under the bridge.

MrB

That's someone, perhaps just one, not multiples, saying provocative things just to stir up trouble then sit back and watch for entertainment value. MrB

That's not true! Everyone knows that trolls are the helpful people on internet forums. Troll comes from the latin term "trolia" which is translated "to help".

Also, the sky is green, water is dry, and gun control works. :winkkiss::p

But a troll is different. That's someone, perhaps just one, not multiples, saying provocative things just to stir up trouble then sit back and watch for entertainment value.

Derives not from 'trolling for fish' but that nasty troll that lives under the bridge.

MrB

Troll hunting is tasked to a different squad of elite hunters... you can usually spot them by their volatile postings initiated only to watch the resulting flame wars from a safe vantage point. Akin to tossing a grenade into a room just to see what happens. :s0093:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top