JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Will you be attending?

• Yes

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters
Took a long lunch today and drove up to take a look. It is a crying shame what mankind will do to gods gifts. That being said everyone that gives a damn and is available needs to go, there is plenty of work for everyone. The snow has melted. First three pictures are of the big pit 8 miles up second two are of small pit about 1/2 mile further up. Dean's iPhone 390.JPG Dean's iPhone 391.JPG

Dean's iPhone 392.JPG

Dean's iPhone 394.JPG

Dean's iPhone 395.JPG

Thanks for the pics and weather report. Looks like that area would benefit from a bunch of us with rakes. Any of you have any laying around you'd be willing to bring?

I will bring a rake and a couple of buckets. I wish I had a good strategy at separating the shotgun shells from the gravel. Seems like it would be much easier to rake the shells into piles rather than picking up each one. I wonder if some sort of screen would work?

My first thoughts were a piece of expanded steel at an angle like a rock grizzly. Rake them into piles and then throw the piles across the screen to separate. Or a shovel made of heavy screen and pick the piles up and shake them. I'll take a walk thru the " ideas that didn't'" work area and see what's available.

looks like rain for saturday. should make for some sloppy cleanup fun. Hope we can make a good dent in that mess up there. those pictures are eye opening. i have not been up there for well over a year and it looks worse than I ever remember.

I have heard that leaf blowers will collect shotgun hulls without collecting rocks like some rakes. I will bring one.

I wonder if there is a way to communicate to people that the area will be closed to shooting during the cleanup so that they can choose another area or day and will not be disappointed.

The Forest Service will have information personnel and signage just past the green bridge.

I picked up a lot of shotgun shells and steel cases with a welding magnet on a string that I drug along the ground.
I've used magnets for this too. I always wanted to try a magnetic sweeper hoping it would work so you wouldn't have to pull things off the magnet.

Most people will move on as soon as they see a cleanup operation in progress.
I would encourage people looking to shoot to join the clean up party and then shoot. Maybe have someone designated (friendly face of course) to actually flag/stop folks as they go by even, to let then know what is going on and who (NWFA) is there trying to keep the places clean to avoid them being shut down. Maybe get some new members or at least educate then on the importance of cleaning up.

I was up at larch last monday where we cleaned last time and met a gentleman and his adult daughter shooting. The bags hadn't been picked up yet so i explained to him, as i laid out my tarp for brass collection, what the bags were from and that it is important to keep the areas clean. He suddenly realized that he was leaving a mess of 22 brass and started to pick it up. It was by example that he learned this lesson and he said he had never really thought about it since all the other empty cases were there. We let him shoot our pistols and i am thinking he was genuinely a good guy who now gets it. :)

Don't think we will make it to this one. :-( Was just called into work for a half day tomorrow to help train (read=babysit) the new hire. Had my rain gear and rakes all ready too. Will be at the next one though. I hope to see pics.

I hate to say it, but it's 230 and I haven't gotten a blink of sleep. My neighbors crapper tank alarm is going off and that cork soaker is on vacation again. Apparently a local rifle club some jiujitsu guy's host are going to be tackling the one at the end of Squaw MT road

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top