Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Memaloose question

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by TonsOfOregonBrass, Aug 27, 2009.

1. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

Just a quick question.

how many of you would be willing to pay $1 or more up to $3 to use the Memaloose area if a couple NRA standard ranges were to be installed? Fees would go towards the maintenance and clean up of the area. Plus keep all the crackheads / tweekers / dumpers out.

2. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I'd even pay more. But the question is: how to keep the cash dropbox from getting shot up?.........................elsullo :paranoid:

3. TonsOfOregonBrass

It would be a manned station. this would help prevent the dumping.

4. PinoBoy

PinoBoy Oak Grove Member

Would this be per person or per vehicle? I'd pay $3.00 either way. :thumbup:

5. TonsOfOregonBrass

it would be per vehicle. This isn't anywhere in near in place. we are looking into solutions for the forest service to end the permanent road closure of the first 6.8 miles.

6. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

i would pay 5 dollars for sure maybe more. Thats a great idea you've got man, where is the memaloose area? east on i-90? anyway if your serious about it you sure would make a lot of people happy. let us know what happens with it or if you need anything.

7. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

It's near Estacada, Oregon

8. BrentN

BrentN Kelso Active Member

1-5 bucks a carload would be cool. Without going into any rants, I'd like to see it run privately.

9. TonsOfOregonBrass

we are starting talks with the forest service, who knows if it will go anywhere. but we need more info to put together some more proposals.

10. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

sounds like a good idea. I dont shoot there alot but I might more often. What would happen durring the winter months thougth. there is often too much snow to get up there safely but people still go and trash the place

11. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind paying it.

But it bothers me a little. Why should someone regulate my ability to pick a safe spot to shoot, on open land?

12. TonsOfOregonBrass

i don't think anyone should have to pay. in fact we are putting forth several proposals, only one is a day use fee.

we are working to not have any fees but to keep the area open. there will have to be some changes made to the ranges to make them "safe" that will cost money. Money the forest service doesn't have. we are investigating different options. this is just one of them. but public opinion matters. what is the point of opening the area back up if you have to charge and no one will use it.

unfortunately the area has been abused to the point of closure, we are working hard to keep it open. Our model works for keeping the area clean. but if it isn't re-opened people will just go somewhere else and destroy more trees / forest land.

13. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

To me, that would be the model to pitch. :D

But, good on ya'!
    Be interesting to see what comes about.

14. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

I'm all for it , you got my vote.

15. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm in!

16. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

I don't have an issue paying upto $10/day for a good, safe outdoor area that still lets me draw from a holster to shoot, etc.

I already give the USFS over $100/year in permits, etc - another $10 here and there isn't much....

17. 2Z4

2Z4 Milwaukie Active Member

I would be willing to pay 3 bucks myself, 5 bucks for a carload.

I am not an enviromentalist by any stretch. But this summer I have had occasion to travel extensively near Memaloose, the Mt. Hood Nat'l Forest, and the Table Rock wilderness area near Molalla. The damage that dirtbags are doing, by shooting and other means, makes me angry.

I can understand not being able to afford or justify a 700 dollar a year gun club membership, but travelling out to the woods in order to shoot clays, propane bottles, glass beer bottles, spray paint cans, TVs and other junk and then leave your brass or your 200 plastic shotshells laying around is not a good way to represent shooting sports to other people. Also, I have seen a majority of shooters out in these areas shooting safely, but have also run across more than just a few idiots endangering others with the stuff they pull. Frankly, even if there isn't something in the works for the Memaloose shooting areas, I support the USFS closing it down. I would also support the BLM closing the entire Molalla corridor because of the stuff I've mentioned above.

18. UncalledForGabe

UncalledForGabe Aloha Or. Member

I think a mandatory "donation" would be nice. I wouldn't mind paying for every time I go shooting to keep up the place. It would also create a few jobs :)

19. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

I would pay nothing, If i wanted to pay something I would go to douglass ridge or johnson creek gun club. The first 6.8 miles are fairly unsafe as is and dumbass's shoudl not shoot there, keep the quarries free and keep the first 6.8miles closed im fine with that. Its sad to see so many of you willing to pay for something that SHOULD be free, why would you just roll over and let them do this to us? Its not fair or justified, try fighting for something.

20. BrentN

BrentN Kelso Active Member

That was my first reaction, and still is, sort of. But I would be willing to pay, or be part of, a private group that puts the money toward keeping the place somewhat cleaned up and open, hopefully keep the law from giving us these constant threats of closure.
    I'm not in favor of paying ANY government org a freakn dime for anything. Just in case there was any confusion.