JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went up on Memorial day with my son, and the first pit had some people already, so we headed up to another and shot for a few hours. The place was trashed. all sorts of broken down pallets and shot-up spray cans and garbage. I don't think there were more than a handful of spots on which you could stand without crunching spent shot shells or cartridges under your feet.

My son was shocked, as I was. I won't be taking my wife there, if she sees that kind of crap she'll get a whole lot less enthusiastic about shooting.

We picked up our stuff after we left and filled a hefty bag with other people's trash to haul out. Very disappointing.

Nonetheless, I'd sure love to head up and meet some of you.

Volcom: syncros

well, its a bronco 2 with a 5 speed manual. did the research, and i can use a tranny from an 88 to a 92 ranger 4x4. they used a mazda fm146 for some reason, just looking at a basic tranny swap when i get the fundage, u pull it has them for $160. shouldnt be too bad of a swap. the problem is noise coming from all the gears cept 4th going down the road, research says its the synchronizers in the gears going out

We picked up our stuff after we left and filled a hefty bag with other people's trash to haul out. Very disappointing.

I head up there every 2-3 weeks and do the same. Sometimes I get weird looks for packing out trash. We tend to only shoot clays, paper and soda cans which are easy to clean up and compress easily for packing out.

I dunno, lead by example. If enough people have trash bags hanging from their tailgates filled with garbage maybe we'll normalize that kind of behaviour and everyone will pack out what they bring up and shoot. Not really much you can do about the shell casings unless you get a punch of people with rakes, I suppose.

Or he is just better at not getting caught:s0155:

Yeah, that's crossed my mind - the truth is that he lives with his mother and I bet I never get the full scoop (or even half) of what goes on.

As for a cleanup, Mudslinging79, I'd love to and have a pickup that can haul a good bit in the bed, but I won't be able to head out until the weekend of the 26th at the earliest.

Im down for shooting next week sometime. I could probably learn alot from you guys anyways....Lets plan something official, im good for Tuesdays after 3pm or so and the weekend (cant plan on getting off work at a decent time any other day of the week).

I like the whole idea of picking up trash from other people that dont care about it, but if we fill up a trailer+ whos paying for it to go to the dump?? That could get expensive. I wonder if there is some kind of county or city deal that would take the trash for free somewhere?

There use to be a trash dumpster just on the other side of the river as you are going up to the gravel pit. I don't see the harm of dropping it off there only because we would be helping out the forestry service anyway in picking up the trash to begin with . I don't think that they will mind. If I think of it tomorrow I will call them and see.

I will be there this Saturday morning to clean up, and also have a utility trailer I can bring to haul out trash. Never been there, so I don't know if there are things like appliances or furniture that need to be removed. Also planning on shooting there Sunday morning.

Anyone down for driving up Sunday morning before the whole fathers day thing starts? I would throw down on gas if you fly, I got 3 boxes of cheap 9mm PMC Bronze that my C9 would like to eat or at least fail to feed. PM me if anyone wants to head up. I get up at 5am on work mornings, 7am'ish on weekends but the earlier the better me thinks.

Also, does anyone without a CHL ever open carry in Clackamas? As far as I know per opencarry.org Clackamas is cool to open carry in, I would probably just holster my 9mm on the way up unless someone had an issue with that. I am pretty sure you dont go through any citys with open carry laws on the way up there once you hit hwy 212/224?

i would jump on it, but my tranny is out of the truck, waiting to get a clutch plate, and my girlfriend informed me last week i have plans for sunday already... wonder what she has planned

Let me know how the cleanup went, I was working during it :(

I was up there last Sunday, had the chance to talk to some other shooters about my firearms and theirs (The SVT-40 and the Sub2k always draw questions). I drive a black Geo-Tracker soft-top up there every couple weeks so feel free to come say hi if you see me up there.

On our way up to the shooting areas, some "people" were shooting clays in one of the torn up no-shooting areas. They were standing on the boulders firing out into the valley. If they were still there on the way down, I was going to make a phonecall. While we were shooting though, a Ranger came up and asked us a few questions about my firearms. We asked him of he saw the individuals shooting in the off-limits areas, he said he had cited them, yes.

Good for him, i dont want a bunch of yay-hoos losing my favorite shooting area for me. Just as bad as those rednecks who shoot the signs put up by the county. Don't get our area lost, pick up your trash, pick up some more. Follow the rules.

Let me know how the cleanup went, I was working during it :(

I was up there last Sunday, had the chance to talk to some other shooters about my firearms and theirs (The SVT-40 and the Sub2k always draw questions). I drive a black Geo-Tracker soft-top up there every couple weeks so feel free to come say hi if you see me up there.

On our way up to the shooting areas, some "people" were shooting clays in one of the torn up no-shooting areas. They were standing on the boulders firing out into the valley. If they were still there on the way down, I was going to make a phonecall. While we were shooting though, a Ranger came up and asked us a few questions about my firearms. We asked him of he saw the individuals shooting in the off-limits areas, he said he had cited them, yes.

Good for him, i dont want a bunch of yay-hoos losing my favorite shooting area for me. Just as bad as those rednecks who shoot the signs put up by the county. Don't get our area lost, pick up your trash, pick up some more. Follow the rules.

What time did you see the "people"? I saw some illegal shooters when I went up also. I also don't like the people who have shot up the sign at the edge of the gravel pit or illegally dump garbage. I also wish people would have more respect for these areas before we lose them. If I see you up there, I'll stop and say hi.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads