JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i second that plumberfishes, yesterday was awesome had a great time had to leave cuz the buddys wife was nagging lol. we still had to go to 122nd and stark to pick up a mosin when i arrived their they let me see it then shot my id down :( (they could not read the address) so i went home empty handed but it was counter bored, and didnt really want it since it was. anyhow great time shooting had fun always fun to shoot other peoples "toys". great day even with the snow on the ground

Went up there Wednesday March 7. Roads are passable with high clearance. I suggest 4wd. A couple guys attempted to drive up there in an Acura. As I pulled up, they were being pulled out of the embankment. The shooting area is covered with snow and there is a lot of trash out there.

Went up there Wednesday March 7. Roads are passable with high clearance. I suggest 4wd. A couple guys attempted to drive up there in an Acura. As I pulled up, they were being pulled out of the embankment. The shooting area is covered with snow and there is a lot of trash out there.

That's the problem just about anywhere any more. "and there is a lot of trash out there" :s0154: That's what is giving the anti's more fuel to shut places down.

That's the problem just about anywhere any more. "and there is a lot of trash out there" :s0154: That's what is giving the anti's more fuel to shut places down.

It influences more than true antis though. It's almost always more cost effective to close an area than to keep picking up garbage.

That was my point. If people are going to haul all this crap out there, just to blow it up with Tannerite, or to show off their machismo to whoever by blowing holes in all of it - do the rest of us a huge favor, by hauling all your crap back home with you, and disposing of it.

You hear folks talk about 'it's those guys up there shooting' that are leaving all that garbage. Well, we all know it's not just the shooters. There are folks who either can't afford to pay the garbage man or dump-fees, so they haul all their junk out into the woods and dump it.

So I'm not bagging on shooters, I am one. Just saying, if we want to have places out there where we can go to shoot, then it's everyone's responsibility to try to pick up after ourselves - even if we weren't the ones who did it. I've hauled quite a few garbage bags full, even filled the bed of my truck more times than I care to count, hauling out other people's trash, ammo boxes, targets, whatever. The sad part is, I've done that and have found that some of those places now have signs posted 'No SHOOTING' or are chained off so you can't access them.

I agree with you, it's not just the anti's, it's also the logging companies, land owners, state or county, etc. And it is cheaper for them to close it down rather than pay for someone else to pick up after some of us, or the garbage dumpers.

Thinking about heading up to Memaloose or Hillockburn tomorrow. Anyone know if there is still snow on the road? I've still got the snow tires on but not much clearance so I'm wondering how deep it is. Thanks!

I was up on memaloose Saturday 3-31 and there was a sign that said it was closed 3.5 up, so I went up to see what was going on and there is a gate on the road just after 3.5 miles up.

I was up on memaloose Saturday 3-31 and there was a sign that said it was closed 3.5 up, so I went up to see what was going on and there is a gate on the road just after 3.5 miles up.
Gate..... That does not sound good.
Does anyone here know who or what dept of goverment controls the use of this road or the gate?
I think it is time contact them and maybe get a feel for when it will be open or if there has been some kind of change in policy for the use of this area.
If someone here has a phone number or which dept (county, state, forest) it is I will call and report back.
P

Does anyone here know who or what dept of goverment controls the use of this road or the gate?
I think it is time contact them and maybe get a feel for when it will be open or if there has been some kind of change in policy for the use of this area.
If someone here has a phone number or which dept (county, state, forest) it is I will call and report back.
P

Unfortunately, with the amount of trash people leave behind, this is not a real shock to me.

I pick up two bags of garbage every single time I am up there and I don't even make a small difference in the way that place is treated.

P

It's a forest service road. There's also a notice its closed until the 28th. Mt. Hood National Forest - Alerts & Notices

I'm not surprised a gate was constructed if they planned to close the road for a couple months. I'm also afraid they'll leave it closed. There's always a bunch of garbage up there. I always grab a bag or two and some small electronics that have been used for target practice when I'm up there.

The number for the local ranger district, Clackamas River, is 503.630.6861 and for the Mt. Hood NF headquarters is 503.668.1700.

Drew, thanks for the info.

That gate might have been installed to keep the dummies out in the winter who go up there and wind up having to be rescued.

According to the Forest service website, Memaloose rd aka rd 45 will be close until the 28th of this month. They close it off for the "safety of the forest service workers" periodically, and it makes sense that they do, considering some of the dumb A s s es I have seen up there. So, after the 28th it should be open again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top