JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those that didn't know, I had a meeting to discuss gun control issues with Democrat Sen Nick Harper, 38th District up in Everett. The meeting was on Thursday, 21 February down in Olympia.

That being said, the meeting went great! A lot better than expected and am very happy with it all.

Sen Harper impressed me a lot. After giving him some facts on magazines and such in previous emails before the meeting, he went out and did some research of his own. With this being said, he stated he will no longer support ANY attempt to ban magazines of any kind. Also, he realized that a ban on a certain kind of gun that depends on cosmetic features was foolish and he was sorry for supporting it in the beginning.

We also spoke of the proposed universal background checks. After telling him my concerns about how it would not allow family members to transfer a firearm between each other and also wouldn't allow CPL holders to be exempt, like we are for buying from dealers. Another thing I brought up was how a dealer would be required to hold the firearm until the background check was finished. This would put a burden on the dealer to be responsible for property that wasn't theirs, along with having to store it, etc. He didn't think about all the technical things involved and after much talk, said he won't support that either. If he does go for it, it would have to be revised to the point of a new bill being written. Seems that I was able to get through to him and I do have the entire conversation recorded, with his knowledge and approval. Our 15 minute talk ended up going on for over an hour and he made other appointments wait until we were finished.

At the end, I gave him an open invite to go shooting and be able to learn how the guns work and what we are talking about. When I said this, he lit up like a little kid in a candy store. He admitted that he never was around guns growing up, other than his grandfather's shotgun. We plan on going to the range end of next month or so, depending on schedules. Not too bad for a democrat Senator from Western Washington...lol

Only through education, which the Dems keep saying they support, but their actions speak otherwise, will the American people win this argument. Thanks for reaching out and doing this.

Very nice 1 more convert now if only we all could get meetings like that with our reps I still have yet to get a response from any of my reps

I appreciate your efforts and hope that Harper sticks to his revised position. So far the only responses I have received are canned responses which essentially tell us to pound sand. Looks like it is time to do more than vote - volunteer to help with the campaign of a more agreeable candidate in future elections.

Sounds like you had a great meeting and built a relationship with this senator. My question is how can a senator that pretends to represent we the people be so naive about the topics they make laws on? If this is the norm in the senate Maybe you ought to call him up and offer up to do your presentation to the whole group of anti gun senators with him. I have a really hard time believing it would be that simple but am willing to concede if it would work on a larger opposing group.

For those that didn't know, I had a meeting to discuss gun control issues with Democrat Sen Nick Harper, 38th District up in Everett. The meeting was on Thursday, 21 February down in Olympia.

That being said, the meeting went great! A lot better than expected and am very happy with it all.

Sen Harper impressed me a lot. After giving him some facts on magazines and such in previous emails before the meeting, he went out and did some research of his own. With this being said, he stated he will no longer support ANY attempt to ban magazines of any kind. Also, he realized that a ban on a certain kind of gun that depends on cosmetic features was foolish and he was sorry for supporting it in the beginning.

We also spoke of the proposed universal background checks. After telling him my concerns about how it would not allow family members to transfer a firearm between each other and also wouldn't allow CPL holders to be exempt, like we are for buying from dealers. Another thing I brought up was how a dealer would be required to hold the firearm until the background check was finished. This would put a burden on the dealer to be responsible for property that wasn't theirs, along with having to store it, etc. He didn't think about all the technical things involved and after much talk, said he won't support that either. If he does go for it, it would have to be revised to the point of a new bill being written. Seems that I was able to get through to him and I do have the entire conversation recorded, with his knowledge and approval. Our 15 minute talk ended up going on for over an hour and he made other appointments wait until we were finished.

At the end, I gave him an open invite to go shooting and be able to learn how the guns work and what we are talking about. When I said this, he lit up like a little kid in a candy store. He admitted that he never was around guns growing up, other than his grandfather's shotgun. We plan on going to the range end of next month or so, depending on schedules. Not too bad for a democrat Senator from Western Washington...lol

I am not saying you missed this point, but you did not mention it here, maybe you can later....having to pay for a background check places an undue burden on the working poor.

And you might remind him about the DOJ letter to gun dealers January 4th "reminding" them that any transfer they facilitate between private citizens must be recorded, form 4473 signed, etc. That's not just a background check of the person as our legislature has led themselves to believe - it's all out registation. And the records cannot be deleted by federal law no matter what provision they put in a state law.

I did bring up the transfer/background check fees and it was discussed. Especially since there is nothing in the bill talking about what the fee would be.

I will email Sen Harper and ask if he would like to ask around to see if any other senators or representatives would like to come along for the range day. With this being said, I might need to figure something for ammo, lol... Wonder if Federal or Winchester would be willing to donate some...haha.

Well I have guns, ammo (I have a good supply which I know is hard to come by) and NFA items if you need help. I will need to know a bit ahead of time since I live on the other side of the state.

Sounds like you had a great meeting and built a relationship with this senator. My question is how can a senator that pretends to represent we the people be so naive about the topics they make laws on? If this is the norm in the senate Maybe you ought to call him up and offer up to do your presentation to the whole group of anti gun senators with him. I have a really hard time believing it would be that simple but am willing to concede if it would work on a larger opposing group.

In my prior life I worked for the CA Department of Corrections and had to write many briefing documents for the governor's office and various legislators. It is not uncommon for them to not have a clue about many of the bills they vote on - the main purpose for the requested briefs was so they didn't look like complete idiots when doing interviews or at press conferences. I really don't think they cared about the information much when it came time to vote - only when their image was at stake.
One of my favorites was receiving a request regarding the Lethal Electrified Fence systems installed at all of the maximum security prisons. They were looking for information to back the statement they made to a reporter that the fences were not lethal - what part of Lethal Electrified Fence would lead you to think it wouldn't kill you?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top