JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
8ball and I met with Representative Jamie Petersen in Seattle to discuss House bill 1604. Silencer use in WA is a gross misdemeanor, but this bill would make an exception for those owners who own them legally.

We were able to discuss the legalities of silencer ownership and the advantages of their use; particularly hearing protection and reduction of noise pollution. Petersen claims he is not actually against silencer use, but he had over 150 bills to consider and not one person told him that bill 1604 was a priority. So he of course did not take any action on it and let it die, again.

Based on the general attitudes of WA gun owners towards silencers and the number of WA gun owners who tell me I am a criminal for owning silencers, I am not surprised that any Representative hasn't heard enough from their constituents to push this bill.

Petersen made it very clear during the meeting that he needs someone to tell him the bill is a priority. He only gives hearings to those bills that are worthy of the committee's time. And so far according to him, no one in Olympia thinks bill 1604 is worthy of his time. I know I sound like a broken record, but we all need to contact our Representatives and ask them to give this bill some attention.

Ranb

Thanks for organizing the meeting with Pedersen. I was pleasantly surprised at his attitude.

I think if we can get WA firearm folks to contact their state reps then this bill has a chance next year to get out of committee and to get to a vote.

As Pedersen pointed out, there are several pro-2A Democrats who might get behind it as well. It's up to us to organize on it.

I see people outside walmart all the time trying to get signatures for various bills they are trying to push. Maybe we need to organize something like this. I would be all for volunteering to sit outside walmart on a Saturday to help out and get signatures. Thats one way we could help make this a priority.

i'm all for this, and for permitting new SBRs in WA as well (any word on that btw?). if you need support in Seattle, i'll stand downtown/whereever all day long petitioning for signatures.

I see people outside walmart all the time trying to get signatures for various bills they are trying to push. Maybe we need to organize something like this. I would be all for volunteering to sit outside walmart on a Saturday to help out and get signatures. Thats one way we could help make this a priority.

x2 Count me in. I've written to my rep.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top