JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rix and I met with Representative Jinkins this morning. We were scheduled for 10:00 to 10:15, but she ran ten minutes long on the meeting prior to ours and we took up at least 20 minutes of her time. She was in no hurry to get rid of us; that was her aide’s job. :) To make a long story short Ms. Jinkins said she had no intention of giving HB1561 a hearing prior to the meeting, but she is willing to consider it as a result of the meeting. This is why we need to talk to our Representatives guys and gals.

Her main concern was that this bill practically affects very few people (based on the support it is getting now I’d agree) and it allows more access to more kinds of guns. She has also not heard a thing from the police on the bill. This is why she is not committed to scheduling it for a hearing at this time.

We discussed how the bill merely brings state law into line with federal law, the requirements for obtaining ATF authorization to make or buy an SBR and the low (nearly non-existent) crime rate associated with them. We explained that everyone with a rifle and a hacksaw has ready access to a contraband SBR, but it is still very rare that anyone is willing to use SBR’s to commit a violent crime. We also discussed the reasons why SBR’s were banned in 1994 and I gave her copies of Judge Appelwick’s letters. I also gave her copies of WACOPS e-mail expressing their support and a synopsis of the 1994 bill banning SBR’s.

Right now she plans on limiting the House Judiciary Committee to hearing two gun bills; the background check bill and the safe storage bill. We discussed both bills briefly; I told her why I felt the background check bill/initiative would fail. I was not prepared to discuss the safe storage bill other than to say that if I was the parent of a teenager and concerned enough to ask his/her friend’s parents about how they secured their guns I would indeed ask. And if they took offense to my asking then I would need to get better friends.

Representative Jinkins asked me to provide her with the following data. I need help with this.

1. SBR crime rate data from other states.
2. Opinions of gun control groups such as Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility, Cease Fire WA and others.

What we also need is for any police officers who are interested in seeing restrictions on SBR’s eased to contact Representative Jinkins by phone, mail or e-mail. It is extremely important that we get some sort of police support for this.

If anyone here knows anyone at WACOPS, please ask them to contact Jinkins office and tell her why they need HB1561 to pass. Thanks.

Randy Bragge
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889

We know 2: "Blood in the streets, mass murder everywhere, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" *snort*

There is NOTHING reasonable about Ralph Fascist-telli and his ilk, and I wouldn't trust a one of 'em if they asked me to agree with 'em that rain was wet.

We know 2: "Blood in the streets, mass murder everywhere, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" *snort*

There is NOTHING reasonable about Ralph Fascist-telli and his ilk, and I wouldn't trust a one of 'em if they asked me to agree with 'em that rain was wet.
I need good attitude replies please.
Cease Fire WA took a neutral position on the silencer bill back in 2010-2011. I need these guys to tell Jinkins that they do not oppose the SBR bill. I can only get them to do this if I ask them.

Randy

Great work Randy!

Re support from police - I bet local ranges (WCA etc) and gun stores (Rainier Arms etc) would be able to reach out to some potential LEO SBR owners.

So who can help with reaching out to some LEO?

Does it annoy anyone else that this 'legal and political' forum is jammed with threads that have very little to do with the Northwest?

Actual threads about 2A politics in WA and OR seem to get buried with all the crap.

We can do this folks! The bill sponsor has a good relationship with the Chair and has been shooting with her including Ar's. We need respectful communication and any law enforcement support we can muster.

So who can help with reaching out to some LEO?

Does it annoy anyone else that this 'legal and political' forum is jammed with threads that have very little to do with the Northwest?

Actual threads about 2A politics in WA and OR seem to get buried with all the crap.

Read em or bypass em, but dont bietch about something your fingers control.

I spoke with Senator Padden's aide this morning and was told that SB5956 might not be scheduled for a hearing this year. I was told that with the short session there was a lack of time. Padden's aide recommended that we get the House bill passed. He seemed to be surprised when I told him that the House Judiciary Chair wants to see a Senate bill passed in the Senate and brought to the House instead of taking action on House Bill 1561. I've made it clear in my numerous letters/e-mails in the past to Senator Padden that the House is looking for a Senate bill and is not much interested in HB 1561.

I asked for some of Senator Padden's time for a meeting or telephone conversation but the aide would not make any kind of committment. I have two strikes against me whenever I call someone outside of district 35. I'm not one of their constituants and I only represent myself. I wish I could say that I represent the NRA or WAC, but they are not interested in the SBR/SBS issue. If I could find enough people to help with these unpopular bills we could form a collaition so we might have more influence.

Is there anyone currently near Olympia who is a 4th district (Spokane area) voter? A 4th district person is going to have more pull at getting a meeting or telephone conversation. Thanks.

Randy Bragge
360 440-5889

Senator Padden's office called me to say that the SBR bill (SB5956) will be scheduled for a hearing next week on Wednesday or Friday. It is very important that we have some sort of police presence at the hearing to support the bill. While an individual like myself can say "I believe this" or I believe that", nothing beats a police officer who tells the committee members why the police need SBR's.

I can give a ride to one or two people on the day of the hearings to Olympia. Please call me to set up a ride. I will be driving from Belfair.

Randy Bragge
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889

I appreciate your efforts but she is a DemonCrap... She will never, EVER support anything that has to do with guns.

She used her political skills to say No in a nicer way giving you hope.

Cary Condotta is a child hood friend and was one of the Sponsors making suppressors legal so I sent him the following about a 1/2 hour ago:

Cary,
You need the same group that supported the suppressor group to help you with this.

Crime rate using an SBR is damn near zero. If the bad guys wanted an SBR all it takes is a hack saw and a file... Why punish the good guys?

Yes on SBR's!
Thanks

I appreciate your efforts but she is a DemonCrap... She will never, EVER support anything that has to do with guns.
She used her political skills to say No in a nicer way giving you hope.
I agree with Classic, they have an agenda and will follow it to the re-election every time!!!
You guys are like a broken record. Five years ago I too often heard that I was wasting my time asking Democrats to pass legislation to allow silencer use after the Republicans kept on letting the silencer use bill die session after session. It was not until the Democrats got involved that things took a turn for the better. Blake prime sponsored the silencer use bill in the House, Hatfield did the same for the companion bill in the Senate. Pedersen scheduled the bill for a hearing in the House Judiciary Committee and Kline allowed himself to be convinced to do the same in the Senate. All of these guys are Democrats and as far as I know both Rules Committee chairs were also Democrats.

If you guys are not wiling to work with the Democrats, then you will get NOTHING and deserve it. It is time that yo both own up to the fact that without the Democrats pushing legislation to ease restrictions on guns in WA, we would still not be allowed to use our registered silencers. Just because it is the urban Republicans and urban Democrats pushing anti-guns bill does not mean all Democrats are crap.

It is attitudes like yours that are just another obstacle to the efforts of gun owners who are working to ease restrictions in this state. So you need to pick a side, pro-gun or anti-gun. Whatt I'm hearing from you in this thread is definitely not pro-gun.

Randy

Thanks for your work, Randy.

I don't really have faintest clue about finding out the SBR data, but would it be possible that Washington based groups like the 2nd Amendment Foundation might have it, or at least a lead on it??

I already have enough WA data to convince Jinkins that SBR's are not a problem here in WA. I need national data or at least data from the surrounding states that allow civilian possession of SBR's. I have CA data. I'm going to write to several large cities around WA to get data if I need it. Negative data from these places should be enough. As far as I know the feds do not track SBS and SBS crime data separately. I think they are lumped in with rifles and shotguns or with machine guns.

Randy

Bumping this to the top ;-)

Some useful info gleaned from your post over on ARF: the House Judiciary chair, Laurie Jinkins, is focused on getting UBC and a storage bill.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top